• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    Hello Everyone,

I'm torn between what pistol I should get as my final MD regulated buy, once I find some money. I've always wanted a 1911, but i'm not flush with cash. I was looking at one of the Rock Island Models with a Tac Rail.

But then I decided to apply for a VA CCW permit. So now I feel like I should get a nice compact CCW gun. I really like the extreme portability of the Ruger LCP, but I have yet to compare it to a LC9. Either would be used as a super carry gun when in real America, so whatever fits the bill best would be used.

I just applied for a C&R, so I could technically get a 1911 as a C&R, If I could ever afford it... I usually only see the super nice old ones for sale and they go for big bucks. So I was thinking that maybe a newer carry piece would be nice. Unless... Anyone have any good C&R carry piece suggestions, equivalent in size/power to an LC9/LCP? Then I could get the newer/more affordable .45?

Decisions...

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    The usual advice here would be to buy them all. Personally, I'd not worry about the carry piece unless there are definite plans to carry it. I'm starting to look at a 1911, as it is a classic.

I've been advised to spend a decent amount and get a decent 1911. That's the direction I'm leaning.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Before considering a small frame for carry, try them first if possible.

While the smaller guns may be easier to conceal, they can be more difficult to shoot, even for experienced shooters. The reduced grip, reduced sight radius, and additional recoil may not mesh with you. So definitely try before you buy.

Carrying is such a personal issue. What works for me may not work for you - and vice-versa.

Personally, I carry a midsize M&P .45 (4" barrel) and/or a fullsize M&P .357SIG (4.25" barrel). Even though I'm not that big of a guy, there's no issue in concealing with the proper gear and attire.

Just some food for thought.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    The LCP conceals nicely in a wallet holster in your back pocket. The LC9 hides well IWB carry. PM stu929 and ask him to send you pics of his economy, C&R 1911.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    A Colt .380 Mustang may interest you given you are looking for older and a carry piece. It retains a lot of the 1911 style, but is a lot more compact. Some people don't like .380s but IMO it's plenty capable with the right loading and good shot placement.

If you are talking about 1911s close to 100 years old, original ones fetch a fortune and if you're on a budget, looking elsewhere will probably be best. You can sometimes find cheap 100+ year old wheel guns, but there is a huge demand for older 1911s and this demand is many times more than supply. Further, more modern versions have greatly refined safety mechanisms and have improved reliable function...so a 100 year old 1911 may not be the best choice for a carry or home defense gun.

If you are looking at a 1911, you can get them in a 3 inch, but if it is something you want to shoot a lot recreationally, the 4 inch Colt Commander size is something you will probably like a lot more, plus it's a much easier shooter. Colt also made a 3.5 inch 1911 at one point in time.

But if you are on a serious budget for a carry gun, IMHO going for a poly gun is the least expensive means. I've seen NIB Smith & Wesson M&P Compacts go for under $400, and that's an LE-grade duty weapon, so it's a nice carry piece. A good 1911 is going to be more expensive.

Once you go smaller to the LCP size and smaller, the gun is going to hurt to fire, mag cap is severely limited, accuracy is a lot less due to heavier recoil and shorter sight radius, jams are generally more difficult to clear, and ammunition generally does not perform as well as from a longer barrel because the velocity the bullet moves when it leaves the barrel is less than if it were fired from a full size. Many people don't fire their micro compact guns much because of how unpleasant they can be...and this is a huge issue because given how hard these guns are to fire, how limited mag cap is, and how bullet performance can potentially be less-than-ideal, accuracy and speed is more important than ever, and it takes a lot of practice to reach and maintain proficiency...and they are an absolute nightmare in stress-shooting simulations. Many people who carry these sized guns simply are not proficient in using them.

Consequently, I'm a strong advocate for not carrying smaller than a subcompact size like the Glock 26/27, whenever possible. I personally prefer a compact size like the Glock 19, Sig 229, H&K USP Compact, etc. as I can shoot that size a hell of a lot faster, am better on a draw, more accurate, am better at controlling the shot when form isn't ideal (weak handed/angled/etc.), and am able to use the front sights for point-shooting far far far more proficiently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom