• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I going to give up, all I can find is relics. Some stone age some modern.

Personally, the relics are more interesting to me. I love to find things and think "some dude was using this, and decided to stop...right here. Hmmm...I wonder why?"

Deer leave sign all the time. It's like finding ashes in the ash tray. Someone's been here... Human detritus interests me more. I don't hunt it, but when I come upon it, it always intrigues me. :)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I like to find old bottle dumps and poke around near there. When you find oyster shells around my way in the woods, a structure was nearby somewhere at one point. I get a kick out of old cars/trucks too. One time I found a 46 Willy's jeep with a overdrive gearbox on a right of way. I went back with my buddy, tore the remnants of the body off and pulled it off. We put it on his 47 CJ. That was in PG county.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I like to find old bottle dumps and poke around near there. When you find oyster shells around my way in the woods, a structure was nearby somewhere at one point. I get a kick out of old cars/trucks too. One time I found a 46 Willy's jeep with a overdrive gearbox on a right of way. I went back with my buddy, tore the remnants of the body off and pulled it off. We put it on his 47 CJ. That was in PG county.

I found about a 1/4 acre bottle dump years ago. There were no twist off caps, all older than that. Many of the bottles were broken, but I did manage to find about 100 bottles worth saving. I only have 6 left. All of the others have been sold.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I found about a 1/4 acre bottle dump years ago. There were no twist off caps, all older than that. Many of the bottles were broken, but I did manage to find about 100 bottles worth saving. I only have 6 left. All of the others have been sold.

Right outside of East New Market is one maybe nearly that size I guess. Its like a time machine as you go down through the layers. I bet the 50's is when the town moved to another site. Lots of rusted cans on top. It's hard to probe with a steel rod and feel any glass.
    Good one in Tuckahoe State Park, it's on a bank so its easy to dig and has a little size to it. Stumbled across it turkey hunting one time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Iodine bottles? Dad's got a bunch in his back woods. Thinking it was a veterinarian's dump. :shrug:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Iodine bottles? Dad's got a bunch in his back woods. Thinking it was a veterinarian's dump. :shrug:

No, I'd say about 50% of them were the old paper topped milk bottles, some colored glass, a few OLD wine bottles, a good bit of different sized medicine bottles, but I didn't find any of the really small bottles. But I found them in the Summer months so there was a lot of grass growing up through all of the bottles. I would like to find a way to get back there in the Winter months to see what's down on that bottom layer.

Never know what could be found.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I found a not-too-big ten point antler a couple of weeks ago in eastern Nebraska. Also a 3 pointer that was bleach white but still had some blood on the end of it so it must've just been dropped. Will post pics ASAP.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Went out yesterday for a stroll. No antlers. No cover crops in my area this year. I wonder why that is. Young wheat fields are my favorite places to 'hunt'. I've found many matching pairs in green fields.

I did find these two fawns...120 yards apart along the same tree line. Probably siblings. Definitely coyote kills.

The coyotes are pretty thick around here. A car hit a doe and the first night it was intact. The second night one of the rear hams was eaten. The third night all that was left was the ribs etc. The 4th night most of it was gone. Happened again the next week.

I think I'll leave those coyote alone cause the area is infamous for cars hitting deer so the 'yotes are doing us a favor.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Was out today, didn't see any antlers. Didn't see any fox or yote prints either, just a groundhog set. I just walked in the fields some and scanned. Last year I found 3 in the same small area of field, 3 different days. A nice 4 point side, a little 2 pt, and a spike I almost stepped on otherwise I'd have never seen it. Between the wind blowing me and the sun and my bad eyes, I couldn't take any more time to look today. One of my milder migranes started coming on.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Didn't find any today but here's 2 that I found a few weeks ago:

Attachments

• IM002652.jpg
      IM002652.jpg
      153.1 KB · Views: 255
    • IM002653.jpg
      IM002653.jpg
      153.1 KB · Views: 265
    • IM002654.jpg
      IM002654.jpg
      164.8 KB · Views: 258

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    This isn't a real shed but he was a recent victim of Mr. Mountain Lion and/or Mr. Coyote. I found his skeleton today near the Missouri River. It still stunk:

Attachments

• IM002655.jpg
      IM002655.jpg
      134.3 KB · Views: 182

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom