• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Do not have the HOG recticle but the patrol on an adm mount and love it. Great glass, good light and recticle is clear with dot on or off. Have it on a 300 BO. One of my favorites.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Do not have the HOG recticle but the patrol on an adm mount and love it. Great glass, good light and recticle is clear with dot on or off. Have it on a 300 BO. One of my favorites.

Same here. I have the 1.5-4x VX-R Patrol on a SIG 516 with a QD mount. I think the VX-R patrol would be fine for hogs (we just went hog hunting for the first time!) and I think it would be much more versatile.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    thanks for the replies everyone. I probably wouldn't be hunting hogs myself but love the reticle. I like the simplicity of it and the fire dot is small but right to the point. My slight stigmatism is even bothered by it.

I've been thinking it would probably be fun to take to hap baker to try at 100 yards, maybe even 200.

I just wanted to confirm through other reviews that its worth the extra over say a vortex strike eagle 1-6?

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    What I find strange about the Leupold Hog scope is that I have NO IDEA why it's supposedly such a great hog scope. ANY good scope would make a good hog scope, IMHO.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I have one on a 45/70 guide gun. It works great on deer and targets out to 200 on that rifle. Glass is decent and the scope is nice and light. I found nothing not to like.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    One to consider, the Bushnell 1-4x24.

Has the 'fire-dot' style reticle, FFP - so your adjustments are good at whatever power, and it's around $290 new in box.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    rockstarr, how did this scope work out for you?

no complaints at all. I think this is a perfect choice for having some fun at say 100-200 yards. The fire dot is great even for those with a slight astigmatism, as its so small it cant really distort much if any.

No problems at all to sight in as well. In my opinion, this is a great mid range optic (cost wise)

I originally didn't want to spend the extra money for it plus the American defense qd mount, but in the end it was the better choice.

I just wish I would have bought it before I bought the vortex spitfire 3x fixed power. I have that on another rifle now but might get rid of it and get another one of these :)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Thank you for the response.

That optic was one of a few optics I was considering...for the same make and model carbine you have.
    Presently there is an older, but good, red dot on it now but was considering other optics,
    offset sights/optics in addition to a lower powered variable scope.

SigDog

Feb 11, 2013
    West Virginia
    I have one of the Leupold Hog scopes on a Ruger American Ranch bolt gun in 7.62x39, figured it would be a good one for that rifle.
    The only thing that I have against the scope is the "Pig Plex" wording built into the reticle.
    Can be sort of distracting and IMO it's cheesy looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom