• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    The missus has decided she's like to learn to shoot handgun. She says she'd be more comfortable learning from a female instructor, so does anyone here know of anyone? Local to Anne Arundel County would be ideal.

When I first mentioned buying a gun a few years back she said, "What, a gun in the house?" Now she's interested in learning. To honor her wishes I hope she can learn from a female instructor.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    A little far for you but there is a very good one in St. Marys county. Cindy Thomas at Flat Broke Shooters.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    A little far, but Suzy Floyd is an instructor at Heritage in Frederick. I haven't taken a class there, but she was one of the teachers when I did an IDPA prep class in Thurmont.

She was knowledgeable, and had a very calm and easygoing manner. I wouldn't hesitate to have her teach my wife.

Good luck! My wife isn't interested in shooting, but over the last 27 years has gone from "I'm not comfortable with the idea of a gun in the house" to telling me I should get another AR when O'Malley wanted to ban them.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I second the recommendation for Cindi Thomas. I'm a guy and ill gladly take all the training she offers.

The local club down here, Sanners Lake, does a lot of NRA Women on Target classes, also taught by decent instructors. Its kinda like an hql class with more shooting, and only women as students.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The woman who taught my NRA Basic Pistol Instructor class, Jeanie Grant, is exceptional. She teaches at Continental Arms in Timonium. That's right off of 83, exit 17. No too horribly far from AA.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    You can ask for Natalia at the Machine Gun Nest in Frederick.
    May be a bit far but it is a nice place.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    The woman who taught my NRA Basic Pistol Instructor class, Jeanie Grant, is exceptional. She teaches at Continental Arms in Timonium. That's right off of 83, exit 17. No too horribly far from AA.

I'll give a second excellent opinion of Instructor Jean Grant...

Continental used to hold their classes on week nights after work...

I'm pretty sure they were 2 night courses with live shooting using their guns & ammo...

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I'll give a second excellent opinion of Instructor Jean Grant...

Continental used to hold their classes on week nights after work...

I'm pretty sure they were 2 night courses with live shooting using their guns & ammo...

I assisted Jeanie and Carlo on several of those NRA Basic Pistol courses until the NRA screwed them up by making them hybrid.

CroftonBilly

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    You can look into what classes Donna Worthy has available at Worth-A-Shot in Millersville. https://worth-a-shot.com/

She and her shop get mixed reviews on this forum, but it's an AACO option for you nonetheless.
    They may still use the On-Target range in Severn for live fire training, which again gets mixed reviews on this forum, and it may be a somewhat intimidating or scary environment to an inexperienced shooter.

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    You can look into what classes Donna Worthy has available at Worth-A-Shot in Millersville. https://worth-a-shot.com/

She and her shop get mixed reviews on this forum, but it's an AACO option for you nonetheless.
    They may still use the On-Target range in Severn for live fire training, which again gets mixed reviews on this forum, and it may be a somewhat intimidating or scary environment to an inexperienced shooter.

I reckon it might be a scary environment to experienced shooters too.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

I've shot at On-Target and I've taken plenty of new shooters there. What is scarier about that range versus others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom