• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have no affiliation with this, just passing it on.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1503853504763.jpg
      FB_IMG_1503853504763.jpg
      86.1 KB · Views: 335

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Looks like they extended the deadline. Likely because of lack of interest due to charging over $80. Just to hunt does...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Unless they have changed their program, I have heard a LOT of complaints about the way AA runs their program. I've considered a few times, always been warned off. I am kind of surprised that they are taking applications this late, usually the deadline is early august. This is way past the deadlines for MoCo and HoCo deer management. Maybe people are dropping out.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I joined program for first time last year, got a decent buck. It is expensive, but is well run program. Success rate is in 30% range, if I recall. Interview process is basic and is only done one time to get into program. Hunter qualification is required. A big issue with some, hunt days are during week, no weekends.

IMG_1419.JPG

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Lots of liability with these kinds of things so I get the rigamarole. The cost is kind of steep (come do our job and pay well while you do it), but I guess the numbers have been crunched. I still prefer this over having 'snipers' in there doing mass shootings. This way, folks who wouldn't normally have decent opportunities to shoot deer get one. I have never done one of these(there are plenty in MoCo) because I have private property I hunt and feel I would be taking a spot from someone needing the opportunity more than I.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Under their rules it says you have to have a hunter safety card. What about those that have been grandfathered in?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I joined program for first time last year, got a decent buck. It is expensive, but is well run program. Success rate is in 30% range, if I recall. Interview process is basic and is only done one time to get into program. Hunter qualification is required. A big issue with some, hunt days are during week, no weekends.

View attachment 212585

Congratulations on your buck !

Define " Success rate is in 30% range, if I recall. "

If you join the program, how many hunting opportunities are you guaranteed? Lets say I get 6 opportunities (6 days from the lottery). If someone cancels, will they let people take the vacant slot? Does 30% success rate mean: if I get 6 hunting opportunities, I will get 1-2 deer (does)? Or does it mean of 6 opportunities, 30% chance of any deer at all?

Can you get some credit off the fees for trail work or other volunteer activities?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    In some of these programs the better you do the better spots they give you. My son met a guy who was killing dozens of deer a year.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Congratulations on your buck !

Define " Success rate is in 30% range, if I recall. "

If you join the program, how many hunting opportunities are you guaranteed? Lets say I get 6 opportunities (6 days from the lottery). If someone cancels, will they let people take the vacant slot? Does 30% success rate mean: if I get 6 hunting opportunities, I will get 1-2 deer (does)? Or does it mean of 6 opportunities, 30% chance of any deer at all?

Can you get some credit off the fees for trail work or other volunteer activities?

Success rate - rudimentary figured, 100 hunters, 30 deer taken. I didn't calculate number of days hunted or multiple deer taken for a hunter. Otherwise, its probably like 3%, LOL.

Opportunities - no guarantees. I applied for 10 spots last year and got 8. Other hunters ran about same %. Tree stand locations are predetermined for the season, the order that you draw for the day of the lottery, is the order that you pick your tree stand location. If someone is a no show, stand by hunters can fill in, first come, first serve. As a stand by, you will pick last in tree stand location. Portable tree stands only.

Credit - not that I know of, trail work is volunteer only.

I only hunt two Southern AA properties, Parris Glendening or Jug Bay. 5 minutes from home :). Feel free to PM, if you have any other questions.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I didn't see that in AA program. Lottery days (random) and stand locations (lottery day order).

Yeah I have no experience with the AA hunt. Some other jurisdictions seem to play favorites with people. I'm not saying that that's necessarily bad in this situation. From an efficiency standpoint, if I want deer removed I'm going to go with the guy who gets it done.
    All these lotteries offer people an additional opportunity to hunt and that's good. I didn't mean to put a negative vibe on this thread.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Success rate - rudimentary figured, 100 hunters, 30 deer taken. I didn't calculate number of days hunted or multiple deer taken for a hunter. Otherwise, its probably like 3%, LOL.

Opportunities - no guarantees. I applied for 10 spots last year and got 8. Other hunters ran about same %. Tree stand locations are predetermined for the season, the order that you draw for the day of the lottery, is the order that you pick your tree stand location. If someone is a no show, stand by hunters can fill in, first come, first serve. As a stand by, you will pick last in tree stand location. Portable tree stands only.

Credit - not that I know of, trail work is volunteer only.

I only hunt two Southern AA properties, Parris Glendening or Jug Bay. 5 minutes from home :). Feel free to PM, if you have any other questions.

cool, thanks for the info.

Lots of liability with these kinds of things so I get the rigamarole. The cost is kind of steep (come do our job and pay well while you do it), but I guess the numbers have been crunched. I still prefer this over having 'snipers' in there doing mass shootings. This way, folks who wouldn't normally have decent opportunities to shoot deer get one. I have never done one of these(there are plenty in MoCo) because I have private property I hunt and feel I would be taking a spot from someone needing the opportunity more than I.

It's not merely the "liability." These are public, county parks and the dates are public. Yes, protesters show up.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I've participated in the MoCo program for several years. It is extremely well run and organized to the last detail. You're not guaranteed anything other than a lottery slot if you join the program. There is a nominal fee for a lottery ticket and I think a second fee if you take a date. If you get picked, they assign you to a specific tree on a specific date. I think you forfeit future program participation if you don't show up. I have gotten a deer most times. There isn't an interview but you have to do a state shooting test and every year you have to work through an online training system that takes about an hour. I don't mind doing any of that and when I'm out in the woods, it's comforting to know all of the other participants know about hunting safely and within the rules.

You're required to take at least one doe before you are allowed to take a mature buck. You're not allowed to take immature bucks. I've never seen a protestor at a hunt but if someone wants to wave a sign in a parking lot, go for it. I'll walk right past you on my way to my tree as I think about the two people I know (plus myself) who have nearly been killed by vehicle-deer collisions. It's unlawful to disrupt a hunt, so if a protestor or whatever tried to do that, I'm sure the county police would be on them right away.

I don't know anything about the AA program other than what has been posted here. But I'd say if you're looking for a place to hunt deer this year, it's probably worth investigating this program as an option. I might even do it myself if I wasn't already signed up for MoCo.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    cool, thanks for the info.

It's not merely the "liability." These are public, county parks and the dates are public. Yes, protesters show up.

I didn't see any protesters, but I did hear it happens on occasion.
    The properties I hunt, they post signs around property and lock gates behind us to keep public out. Although, we were told the public has a right to use the park.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    The protestors do not confine themselves to the parking lot. Its pretty stupid to walk up to someone in an elevated position holding a weapon, but I am told its happened. More than once. Protesters can research and obtain maps and tree locations. Hint: The correct answer to the interview question does not involve "shooting the libtard. "

Also, people ignore all the signs and go jogging anyway. Don't shoot fluffy!

To be completely fair, I have seen some pretty knuckleheaded things at Patapsco and Patuxent too.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    The protestors do not confine themselves to the parking lot. Its pretty stupid to walk up to someone in an elevated position holding a weapon, but I am told its happened. More than once. Protesters can research and obtain maps and tree locations. Hint: The correct answer to the interview question does not involve "shooting the libtard. "

Also, people ignore all the signs and go jogging anyway. Don't shoot fluffy!

To be completely fair, I have seen some pretty knuckleheaded things at Patapsco and Patuxent too.

Yeah, true, but they are doing their due diligence. I sure as hell would not walk, jog, or take fluffy to any DNR property during gun deer season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom