Changes to the Firearms Registration Law (DC)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    As a guy that has a CMP M1 Carbine on the way, I'm thrilled that I won't have to drag that puppy downtown to get it registered!

Taking my Garand through the security line at MPD headquarters sure was fun.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    Moreover of the few places that will ship internet purchased ammo to DC, they ALL require you send them a copy of your valid current license.

In my experience, this is generally not true. I can only think of one time when a place required this (I can't recall where it was off the top of my head. I've ordered many times from Target Sports USA, and they've never asked. Same with Selway Armory.

Regardless, I agree that having FRS issue me new cards with no expiration date would be a good idea. Next time I'm in there, I'll make a point to stop by.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    In my experience, this is generally not true. I can only think of one time when a place required this (I can't recall where it was off the top of my head. I've ordered many times from Target Sports USA, and they've never asked. Same with Selway Armory.

Regardless, I agree that having FRS issue me new cards with no expiration date would be a good idea. Next time I'm in there, I'll make a point to stop by.

You ordered ammo to DC address without your card? I have always been asked every time. Seriously so have many others here and on firingline.

In fact I have had to have several sellers call MPD and what MPD will tell the shipper is that they have to insure the receiver has a valid firearms registration (and no BMG). In fact if you want to test that call MPD and say you have a problem getting an ammo seller to send to you, and can the ammo seller call to confirm it it ok. They will be told by MPFD that you must send them a copy of your registration to be ok. It is illegal to transfer ammunition to anyone in Dc that does not prove valid gun registration.

In fact this is exactly how I became part of a group that forced the plastic cards. My yellow paper copy (remember those?) simply faded to nothing. Myself and half a dozen guys went to Mandelson and pushed for the plastic cards.

Like I noted there are a dozen reasons, some small, some significant why an expired expiration date can be an issue. The people challenging it dont live in DC.
    We even have people here saying that you don't have to consent to search of a visable gun case, when the established case law for decades is that is probable cause alone for them to look at contents of any gun case and your consent is irrelevant.

We live in a jurisdiction where a single round expended brass visible in the back area or your car requires that you have a current and valid gun registration.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    You ordered ammo to DC address without your card? I have always been asked every time. Seriously so have many others here and on firingline.

Yes, though now that you mention it I do recall sending a copy somewhere several years ago. It was probably to Selway Armory.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Yes, though now that you mention it I do recall sending a copy somewhere several years ago. It was probably to Selway Armory.

I've ordered online from a few places, never been asked for a card copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom