Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Neat video.

FYI, If anyone tries this I urge them to gauge out the firing pin protrusion. Too much protrusion can pierce the primer and blow the gun. They also need to be sure the firing pin does not bind in the bolt or on the FPRP as it can allow a slam fire.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Might be a good idea in an emergency but since the steel in most nails is very low in carbon content, it cannot be hardened and will not last very long.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Neat video.

FYI, If anyone tries this I urge them to gauge out the firing pin protrusion. Too much protrusion can pierce the primer and blow the gun. They also need to be sure the firing pin does not bind in the bolt or on the FPRP as it can allow a slam fire.

Wouldn't that be like firing from the open bolt position and fire a whole mag with one pull of the trigger?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Wouldn't that be like firing from the open bolt position and fire a whole mag with one pull of the trigger?

If the firing pin binds and there is sufficient Protrusion yes. Very dangerous on a gun with a locking mechanism too.

wouldn't a protruding firing pin prevent the cartridge from slide up into feeding position?

No, the AR forces the rim over the extractor when going into battery. If the firing pin is sticking out too far it will either cause the primer to go off and slam fire, or it will just dent the primer.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "No, the AR forces the rim over the extractor when going into battery. If the firing pin is sticking out too far it will either cause the primer to go off and slam fire, or it will just dent the primer."

I thought that could have been it but couldn't swear to it. Thanks for the learning.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Home Depot, FtW.

Attachments

• 16d_ar_firing_pins.jpg
      16d_ar_firing_pins.jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 113

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    "No, the AR forces the rim over the extractor when going into battery. If the firing pin is sticking out too far it will either cause the primer to go off and slam fire, or it will just dent the primer."

I thought that could have been it but couldn't swear to it. Thanks for the learning.

Anytime. :)

I appreciate the kind words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom