• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And one of the deeper ones. Very deep in the middle, I had to switch it to 4WL to make it through.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Taking a breather on a gigantic pile of coal.

0cdb995153d37ed8f34d43cde44f4fac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Forgot to post a pic of the kabobs. Bambi never tasted so good.

The best part of lunch was when the notious AOB was passing around pics of what we were eating soon after she had assumed room temperature.

b7ffdabb11b6506365ed817db9606fe9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Awesome. I am sure the videos don't do it justice. Had a funny thought, the 2 trouble makers and the lawyer won't be in court this morning, but that 4th guy...LOL

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    man looks like ya'll had a great time. wish I'da seen the original post earlier I might have tagged along... just put 4 new tires on my old atv been wanting to try them out...lol. next time !

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Sorry I missed this! but with close to $100 million worth of horses @ PG Equestrian center and more than that in boats at the two shows .... I have to walk around and pick up the cash :)

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    A few of us are heading up to . . . blast off on ATVs for the weekend.

Hey, Stoveman, et al - pretty (VERY!) cool thread and you’ve succeeded at lighting a fire under me to “push up” my starting to shop for an atv / utv and I know absolutely zero, other than my priorities ...

I dove headfirst into jet skis with the same TOTAL LACK OF ANY KNOWLEDGE but, these priorities served me very well.

Q - What make / model is the most “bulletproof” as far as trans and engine?

Q - What make / model is the most “DIY-friendly” as far as basic, preventative maintenance (Fluid, Filter, hose and belt changes), etc?

Something else I’ve learned is, once I identify the mfr who offers the answers to the preceding priorities, it doesn’t make sense (economically or any other way) to try and save money by “buying in” at an “entry level,” only to get bored or what have you and wind up going through one or more machines before eventually investing in close to top of the line performance.

I say “close to” as, I am function over form and I am hoping you experienced riders can help me identify those options that are truly worthwhile (as opposed to the button-stitched leather seats a sporting clays acquaintance has on a, iirc, Polaris he recently acquired).

(The thing is drop dead gorgeous bit, when I started asking him about transaxle Fluid and filter changes he pointed way, way up under the chassis and said, “Oh, the h*ll with all that, I just take it back to the dealership (which I spell $tealer$hip!). And, he admitted he has to pass two dealerships with service depts that have reputations for doing more harm than “service” in order to get to the one trustworthy dealership Svc Dept he has found (- - in Tennessee!!!!!!)

I am kind of excited about getting into this (give us something to enjoy outdoors when it’s to cold to boat / jet ski - there is I believe a designated riding trails area not far from us in the Pisgah National Forest!) but, in order to ensure the all positive experiences we have had with jet skis, I intend to research this thing to death.

Any help you guys can provide in pointing me to the “bulletproof/DIY maintenance friendly” makes and models are most appreciated. :party29:

I do know I am probably not looking for a quad or single seater ... 2 seater will be fine ....(for now, he-he!)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And your first questions for yourself is to what extant your tastes are for Utility ( jeep- like) vs Sport ( motocross - like) .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hey, Stoveman, et al - pretty (VERY!) cool thread and you’ve succeeded at lighting a fire under me to “push up” my starting to shop for an atv / utv and I know absolutely zero, other than my priorities ...

I dove headfirst into jet skis with the same TOTAL LACK OF ANY KNOWLEDGE but, these priorities served me very well.

Q - What make / model is the most “bulletproof” as far as trans and engine?

Q - What make / model is the most “DIY-friendly” as far as basic, preventative maintenance (Fluid, Filter, hose and belt changes), etc?

Something else I’ve learned is, once I identify the mfr who offers the answers to the preceding priorities, it doesn’t make sense (economically or any other way) to try and save money by “buying in” at an “entry level,” only to get bored or what have you and wind up going through one or more machines before eventually investing in close to top of the line performance.

I say “close to” as, I am function over form and I am hoping you experienced riders can help me identify those options that are truly worthwhile (as opposed to the button-stitched leather seats a sporting clays acquaintance has on a, iirc, Polaris he recently acquired).

(The thing is drop dead gorgeous bit, when I started asking him about transaxle Fluid and filter changes he pointed way, way up under the chassis and said, “Oh, the h*ll with all that, I just take it back to the dealership (which I spell $tealer$hip!). And, he admitted he has to pass two dealerships with service depts that have reputations for doing more harm than “service” in order to get to the one trustworthy dealership Svc Dept he has found (- - in Tennessee!!!!!!)

I am kind of excited about getting into this (give us something to enjoy outdoors when it’s to cold to boat / jet ski - there is I believe a designated riding trails area not far from us in the Pisgah National Forest!) but, in order to ensure the all positive experiences we have had with jet skis, I intend to research this thing to death.

Any help you guys can provide in pointing me to the “bulletproof/DIY maintenance friendly” makes and models are most appreciated. :party29:

I do know I am probably not looking for a quad or single seater ... 2 seater will be fine ....(for now, he-he!)

Certainly NOT an expert and can only comment on what I have experience with.

I have two Hondas a Suzuki and a Kawasaki ATVs and a Razr side by side and out of the bunch the Razr has seen the inside of a shop the least.

The Notorious AOB was with us on that trip and he is somewhat of a .gov certified expert so I will let him weigh in on the particulars.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    And your first questions for yourself is to what extant your tastes are for Utility ( jeep- like) vs Sport ( motocross - like) .

Excellent point, thank you! No doubt about it, the “adult” in me realizes we will need the first one we buy to be a UTILITY. That is, #1 priority will be getting gas cans, marine gear, etc. up and down the hill to the dock (hard to find level lots on true mountain lakes :) — off trail “fun” in the backwoods will be secondary, fer sure so, thanks for reminding me to point this out! :thumbsup:

Now, having said all that, the reason we have multiple jet skis now is because I quickly got bored with the 3-seater which was our first (and very wise) purchase (a Yamaha VXR, now called the GP1800r. It is as top of the line as you can get without going supercharged - as soon as you go supercharged your statistically opening the door to more problems beyond the average DIY-er :-(

So, I MOST DEFINITELY ALSO see me investing in something Sport / hell-bent motocross, a year after we get that first utility box checked off!

I have two Hondas a Suzuki and a Kawasaki ATVs and a Razr side by side and out of the bunch the Razr has seen the inside of a shop the least.

This is EXTREMELY helpful - Thank YOU! :party29: (And yes, anxious to hear AIB weigh in, also!)

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Damn, there’s a reason I married this woman; the wife is weighing in is and reminding me:
    Buy just / only what we need to get up and down that hill when we’re both in our 70’s - YOU KNOW you’re gonna want to spend heavy on whatever Performance-level single seater you buy for yourself, the next year!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Only thing I got for Hickory is that I built the filtration systems at The Catawba Science Center.

My bad. Hey! I remember that and we finally made it there, last month. What a massive install; and, pretty cool place (and we were a group of all adults!) :thumbsup:

I don’t know how this place compares with the PA mountain which Stoveman, AOB and all the others hit in the OP but, it is figuratively a stones throw from where I am seated typing this. But, IT IS THE ONLY PUBLIC place within reasonable trailering distance so, unless I find someplace private to ride ... sort of a double edged sword ...
    http://www.atvtrails.org/Carolina_ATVtrails/Brownmountain.html

The Admiral wisely counsels, “Get whatever you want to go up there and “catch air” (and she “may” get into this also) but, seriously, check off our need for a utility (carry 2 persons and cargo (fuel cans up/down steep, BRUSH COVERED hill and snow), FIRST - - please!

I am getting kind of stoked and, years from now, I will be able to point my grandkids BACK TO THIS THREAD for lighting this fire :lol:

Thanks a LOT, Stoveman!!!! :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom