• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Help me pick a target please. This is for my daughter and me in the back yard with field points only.
    Can you give me the pros and cons of each and recommendations?
    Thanks

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Much easier to pull arrows from bag target- some blocks your daughter would be unable to pull- heck sometimes I can barely pull out from block targets.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I agree. If you are only shooting field points then go with a bag. In my experience, you get a better bag than "block" at any given price point. Many bags come with removeable covers that you can replace if/when needed.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I was thinking about the Shotblocker over the Morrell bag, thinking that it wouldn't fall over after being shot and it seems lighter for my daughter to carry. I didn't think about bags being recovered or easier to remove arrows.
    Thanks

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Very easy to build a stand to hang a bag target-treated 2x4s and some deck screws- will last for years,mine sits in my back yard with a piece of TPO roofing draped over it to keep the sun and rain off- just fold it back and shoot.

livefreeordie

Feb 1, 2013
    I came across a large roll of commercial food plastic wrap and filled a couple large boxes with it crumpled inside. It is perfect and takes about 50 shots a day between the kids and I. When the cardboard wears out, you turn it, hang a paper target over it, or replace it. Field points are extremely easy to remove with two fingers. Broadheads don't get damaged but are difficult to remove. Shipping wrap would work well also.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    For field points, it's hard to beat a bag. It's so much easier to pull an arrow out of a bag than it is to pull one out of a block. The only downfall that I can see, is that you can't use broad heads or practice broad heads in them. Gotta use a block for those.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I use cheap blocks with broadheads. I just unscrew the broadhead and pull arrow out. It sometimes tears the target up, but the last one I bought from Walmart was $17 and got another from Dick's for $19.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Well....... Since I got my new mission riot compound bow (very cool by the way). I build myself a target. Big cardboard box with about 4" of cardboard and then the other 6-8" of it I filled with carpet padding. Packed it full, wrapped it with duct tape, and went to town. Seemed fine the first time, my wife's recurve didn't seem to phase it one bit ( a 35 lb sage). However today, we went out again, after I got some carbon express pile driver arrows, and I now have a few holes in the shed behind the target:rolleyes:

I'll have to remember not to underestimate the power this thing has. The good out of it, group of holes are only about 1" ;)

TD

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    take a milk jug.. fill it full of plastic grocery bags... throw it into the backyard and shoot...

You do not need anything fancy, although I do own some foam blocks and foam critters... the 11 yr old and I have more fun with his "piggy" milk jug target though.

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    Help me pick a target please. This is for my daughter and me in the back yard with field points only.
    Can you give me the pros and cons of each and recommendations?
    Thanks

Take a look a Big Green Targets. Good prices, have semi-rigid frame so they won't sag like bag targets are prone to over time. I've got over a thousand arrows into mine and other than covering with a tarp, it lives outside year round and is holding up well.

http://www.biggreentargets.com/stopper-target.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom