• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    After my father passed away in may my mother gave me his old recurve bow. It is a Locksley and is about 50 years old. Unfortunately when I took it to a range the other day we found it had a possible crack and would be risky to fire. It's a real shame, my father taught me with this bow and I was hoping to be able to use it and pass it on to my son.

Well, I did rent a bow and shot with a friend who went with me and I am thinking about getting back into it. It always shot recurve, but the compounds look very high tech. Did much better at the range with my friends recurve than the rental bow.

Don't want to break the bank, but would like some suggestions. I have done a little research and the Martin Saber and Jaguar bows seem to be on many of the "best" lists for recurves. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TD

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    If you're in Belcamp, try going to Autumn Sky Outfitters in Darlington. My buddy sent me there to get my new bow tuned and to get arrows. They are great guys in there and they'll take care of you. They have a range in the basement too. I'll be spending a lot of time and money in there since my oldest daughter loves archery.

I have a PSE Stinger 3g that I love. I don't know much about recurves, sorry.

briwayjones

The Jaguars are decent bows. I would go up to Lancaster Archery in Lancaster PA. Best archery shop around. Think half of a Bass Pro but all archery. Very helpful people, they answer questions, aren't pushy. They have some lanes so you can try different equipment.

One you would want to look into are some Sammick take down bows. You can get new higher poundage limbs later on if you find you want more poundage as you shoot more.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    After my father passed away in may my mother gave me his old recurve bow. It is a Locksley and is about 50 years old. Unfortunately when I took it to a range the other day we found it had a possible crack and would be risky to fire. It's a real shame, my father taught me with this bow and I was hoping to be able to use it and pass it on to my son.

Well, I did rent a bow and shot with a friend who went with me and I am thinking about getting back into it. It always shot recurve, but the compounds look very high tech. Did much better at the range with my friends recurve than the rental bow.
    Don't want to break the bank, but would like some suggestions. I have done a little research and the Martin Saber and Jaguar bows seem to be on many of the "best" lists for recurves. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TD
    Rental bow is not set up for YOU...its prob set up basic to shoot...but with compounds they are specific to you in my experience. Im not saying you cant hit a target with a rental its just not going to be as accurate. Recurve is more forgiving in that respect.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Shot a PSE stinger at Dicks and must say i was pleasantly surprised how nice it shot. I only got a few tries but man, what a difference in shooting that and my dad's old recurve with no sights, a leather glove, and no arrow rest.

The price was a bit salty at 399, seems like a bit for a hobby but hey, I can't get a good pistol for that. :)

Still doing some looking, hope to find a used bow at a good price to make sure I want to get into another hobby.

TD

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Shot a PSE stinger at Dicks and must say i was pleasantly surprised how nice it shot. I only got a few tries but man, what a difference in shooting that and my dad's old recurve with no sights, a leather glove, and no arrow rest.

The price was a bit salty at 399, seems like a bit for a hobby but hey, I can't get a good pistol for that. :)

Still doing some looking, hope to find a used bow at a good price to make sure I want to get into another hobby.

TD

I got the Stinger 3g ready to shoot package for $299 when Sportsmanswarehouse had a sale before Christmas. You can find good deals, just keep looking. It is a very nice, smooth shooting bow.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I was looking at the PSE Blackhawk (60" recurve) because it got amazing reviews. Then a pal that's into archery told me the one-piece wooden PSE bows are made overseas by GreatTree. So I got the GreatTree Deerslayer. It's the same bow, with a different label. And a bit less costly. It's a very smooth shooter--soft pull and a fast cast. If you're inexperienced with trad bows, have it set up by a pro and have them show you how to string and unstring it (store it unstrung in a padded bow case or cloth "bow sock."

I'm getting into trad archery after a 20+ year layoff from compound shooting. I didn't want to spend a chunk on a bow right away, so I got the GreatTree. It's a nice bow.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Go compound and don't look back. Unless you want to shoot like Robin Hood, a compound bow is great. You can shoot longer and more accurate too.

I learned on a recurve bow (imagine in a public school, inside the city limits) but went to a compound bow as soon as they were affordable.

Now at 53, I shoot a crossbow.

HTH,
    Jim Smith

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I got the Bear Grizzly for $330 @ Cabelas. I found that arrows make a big difference....I'm currently using wood arrows.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    I'm a big fan of Bowtech. I have an Admiral, and it's the nicest I have ever used. Brand new, they are quite expensive, but you can find them on Craigslist for a very reasonable amount. In many inexpensive bows, it can feel spongy when you have the bow at full draw, which can really mess with your accuracy.

Whichever bow you choose, (if you choose a compound bow) I would recommend you get one that doesn't feel soft or spongy at full draw. It's often described as feeling like hitting a wall at full draw. When you draw back against that wall, you can focus on your sight pin and not your draw length, giving you much better accuracy. This may not be the case for everyone, but it sure makes a difference for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom