• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Looking to buy my first bolt action rifle. I already own a h&r ultra slug hunter and want a rifle to take advantage of some of the rifle counties here in MD. I'm looking for a rifle that can be multipurpose plan on doing an elk hunt next year and looking for one caliber that can do it all at ethical ranges. Nothing past 300 I'll be comfortable with. All help is welcomed.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ...or .270, maybe? Winchester or Remington. Savages are affordable but are low on frills. I'd figure on a caliber, and pick up a few different brands and see which one feels better, fit wise.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    + on the 760, I love mine. Accurate, quick follow up shots, not bad to carry. When you push the forearm forward, it naturally pulls the barrel back down on the target.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    FN-TSR-XP in .308. It's an absolute tac driver. The 1st time I took it out past 100 yds I was taking 20 oz water bottles at 400 yds. So anything within your self-imposed 300 yd limit doesn't stand a chance. Plus you can "ethically" reach out past that in need be. It has some weight to it but I like that for stability reasons.

Attachments

• fn-tsr-xp.jpg
      fn-tsr-xp.jpg
      47.4 KB · Views: 498

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Remington 700 in .30-06 or .308 seems like an obvious choice.

I would suggest exactly this or the Ruger American series is great as well. Either way you won't go wrong.

I love my Ruger American in 270. A well built, reasonably priced rifle.

If money were no object, The 7oo is hard to beat. I bought the Ruger (American)Revolution in .308, with a Redfield scope, (made by leupold) for $505 delivered. It is supposed to have a sub-MOA accuracy. Feels very good for the money. I may never know the accuracy claim. :innocent0

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    .270 if recoil is a possible problem.

Shouldn't make much difference if load and bullet weight are kept comparable. .270 is just a necked-down .30-06 case. The reason to choose .270, IMO, is if you want a flatter trajectory at long range, at the expense of up to 200ft-lbs of energy.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Savage hog hunter. I had a remmy 700 that was stolen got this as i couldnt afford the remmy and this is every bit as accurate if not more so.
    20140309_130527_zpsf1959ec7.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    5 shots with a hand load.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I'm a big fan of the .270 WIN but since I have on already my next hunting rifle is going to be a Weatherby Vanguard II in .25-06. Pretty excited to get it.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I was in your situation 4 years ago. I wanted a good all-around deer rifle that I'd use if I ever manage to get an Elk tag. I eventually narrowed it down to Remmington 700 30-06...but then I decided to try a budget gun first.

I picked up a Savage Axis in 30-06 for $300 including scope and case on a Black Friday sale. As soon as I got home I started having buyer's remorse since I really had my heart set on a Remmington, but after taking it to the range and hunting with it for three seasons, I'm very pleased with it. It shoots very well every time and it's much lighter to carry than the 700--somewhat important when you're hunting in the mountains. However, since it's light it kicks hard. You won't want to shoot more than 10 or 15 rounds per range visit without a towel or something padding your shoulder.

Generally with guns like most manufactured tools, you pretty much get what you pay for. But if you can get the job done with a Ford, why get a Cadillac? That's just my opinion. My most expensive rifle is a $900 carbine lever gun that I bought and hunt with just as often because it's badass and I love it.

Personally, I like the 30-06 cartridge over .308. It's kind of like Ford vs Chevy I suppose--both work and both are easy to find, but I like the history of the 30-06.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom