• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winephile

Jun 16, 2017
    AA County, Maryland
    I've navigated a bunch of threads here that get close, but don't quite answer the question: Is there a MD legal rifle that uses SA-58 metric magazines?

Does anyone know offhand?

Winephile

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    FAL in a caliber that is not 7.62x51...

Same way you can buy a 6.5 CM Springfield M-1a but not a .308 Springfield M-1a

Or find one of the .308 AR lowers that took FAL mags.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    FAL in a caliber that is not 7.62x51...

Same way you can buy a 6.5 CM Springfield M-1a but not a .308 Springfield M-1a

Or find one of the .308 AR lowers that took FAL mags.

FAL's aren't made in calibers other than 762 NATO. Also it says "any variant" in the original regulated list.

The M1A is banned by name in 308. It is not banned by name for 6.5 Creedmoor.

Finding a AR-10 lower that uses FN-FAL mags isn't going to be easy, because Rock River Arms is the only manufacturer of those lowers. RRA has also stated they will not sell to MD residents, due to FSA2013. RRA will also not sell replacement parts or support RRA items in the possession of MD residents.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    RRA 308s take inch pattern FAL magazines per their info on their website. I thought they took metric a while back, but maybe they were inch all along. Wonder if metric would work due to the AR style magwell.

Q

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

It isn't banned by caliber. It's banned by name. The line in the statute says:

(xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;

The MSP has decided that the 6.5 Creedmoor rifles are not banned because they lack complete parts interchangeability with the original Springfield M1A.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I thought so too. I remember the LAR-8 accepting the inch and metric mags. I wouldn't think RRA would change that.

They probably haven't, there is no specific magazine spec in the 308 description, but the FAL magazines they sell are inch pattern. Could be they are cleaning out inventories, as metric pattern magazines are available all over.

Q

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    They probably haven't, there is no specific magazine spec in the 308 description, but the FAL magazines they sell are inch pattern. Could be they are cleaning out inventories, as metric pattern magazines are available all over.

Q
    The actual rifle is a license sold to RRA from Bushmaster. The LAR-8 is actually a Bushmaster 308. Bushmaster couldn't resolve the inch and metric mag issue, so they sold it to RRA.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    FAL's aren't made in calibers other than 762 NATO. Also it says "any variant" in the original regulated list.

Finding a AR-10 lower that uses FN-FAL mags isn't going to be easy, because Rock River Arms is the only manufacturer of those lowers. RRA has also stated they will not sell to MD residents, due to FSA2013. RRA will also not sell replacement parts or support RRA items in the possession of MD residents.

I guess you should just give up. :sad20:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Banned by name in 308. Look at what you said about the original M1A....

I quoted the line from the statute. It specifically does not mention caliber, unlike with many of the other rifles listed, where it specifically does mention caliber:

(xviii) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber);
    (xxxiii) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber);
    (xxxiv) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber);

Whereas, like I mentioned before, for the M1A it simply says:

(xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;

I mention this because *right now,* we can get an M1A in 6.5 Creed because MSP has decided that the "or their copies" line of the statute means that the rifle has to have parts interchangeability. "Copies" is NOT statutorily defined, so MSP could change that ruling tomorrow and say that "well, we feel that the M1A in 6.5 IS a copy of the M1A, and therefore banned.

That is in opposition to where a specific caliber is listed, which means that the rifle is banned only in that caliber (not that the FAMAS, or the 550/551 was ever made in anything except .223 I don't think). Therefore we could buy a Mini-14 in .300BLK, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom