• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    I received my permit this past Friday (March 16th). Applied on October 12th and received my "preliminary approval" on February 8th (119 days). It said that they wouldn't accept my military training because it was more than 2 years old. Completed the training on March 7th and mailed the certification on the 8th. Received the permit eight days from when I mailed the training certifications. Total time about 155 days...

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    Sad thing is, it is actually easier now to get DC than to get Md.

That's the crazy thing!!! I've been following MARYLAND shooters all these years to see when we can get it in Maryland ,then out the blue, I can get one quicker in DC, unbelievable.

(By the way DC doesn't require you to have an out of state permit anymore, even though it says that on the current application).

I applied today, we'll see if we're any closer to the 90 day supposed timeframe

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    Funny the statute still says it’s required

Who told you this?
    The guy working in room 3077 at 300 Indiana Ave,DC I applied in person today. All he asked was for ID and proof of residence(I live in Maryland) . I asked why he didn't ask for permit he said they no longer require it. (even though on the application I turned in it did).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Was it Lt. Hall? If not I’d want more than his verbal say so. Those folks are a fountain of misinformation.

Not doubting what you were told, just the accuracy of the information

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    Was it Lt. Hall? If not I’d want more than his verbal say so. Those folks are a fountain of misinformation.

Not doubting what you were told, just the accuracy of the information
    I have no clue who. There was a white lady in uniform working at the desk, a white man in uniform with white shirt in there too, didn't catch names. . I didn't talk to those 2 either .there was a black man about 60yrs old or so in regular street clothing who was dealing with all the applicants. Again don't know his name. I turned my papers in and they didn't request any verification of the permit I had. He told me only after I asked him why he didn't ask for my permit. Then he went on to say they no longer require it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    The officer in the white shirt was probably Lt. Hall. I’d believe it if it came from him. The others not do much

I totally understand. I mean it could have been an oversight on the guy that was processing applications that day. Only a slim chance of that though because I specifically asked him about it, so it can't be that he forgot to check for permit.

He went on to say that it made sense for DC to require it at first, because he was like how do people get to DC with their weapon (legally). I live in Md, but don't have a Maryland permit,I believe he assumed people would produce Maryland permits. Of course the app says any permit from outside of DC.

Worse case, I do have a non-DC permit,so I'm good. I was just giving folks a heads up because of course if the statue says you need a permit, its probably deterring a lot of people from applying,when as of yesterday, I was told they don't, and didn't provide any documents that I had one.

Last edited by a moderator:

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Nothing in either MD or DC law says 90 business days.

More made up crap from our civil servants.

Lt. Hall said my app was approved on the 6th of March. I still have not received anything. It doe not take more than a week for a letter to go from DC to MD.

Or maybe it does.

I called this morning spoke with Officer Mills about the timeframe for completing training. I asked if the 45 day period for meeting the training requirement was calendar days or business days. Since the 90 day permit processing time is being based on business days, I was assuming the training window would follow the same policy. He put me on hold and had to check, he returned and said the 45 days are calendar days.

The letter also states that I have 45 days from receipt of the notice, and I asked if the clock started on the date I read the letter or the date on the letter itself. He said the 45 day window starts from receiving the letter, which could be a couple days after the dated letter. I mentioned that its not a real specific start date to track on. He said if I was going to possibly need more than 45 days I should call and let them know the situation and the schedule to get the training done.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I called down today and was informed about the letter regarding the extension of the timeframes. I submitted mid December. Probably will have to update my DC address st this point

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    I got my BS 90 day extension. It does NOT say “business days”, nor does 2340.1, the regulation the letter references. Since I’m doing this more for the point of it than anything else, I’m going to start pestering them daily.
    So, the real answer to the OP is at least 180 days for a new permit.
    Typical gov BS.

Sent from my bunker using Tapatalk Pro

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I got my BS 90 day extension. It does NOT say “business days”, nor does 2340.1, the regulation the letter references. Since I’m doing this more for the point of it than anything else, I’m going to start pestering them daily.
    So, the real answer to the OP is at least 180 days for a new permit.
    Typical gov BS.

Sent from my bunker using Tapatalk Pro

As much as I'd like to do this, the one thing I've learned is that it doesn't make them go faster.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think bugging them actually slows down the process. LOL, I think every time you call they move your app to the bottom of the pile.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Which may mean if you bug them every day they move you to the bottom of the pile.

I wouldn't put it past them. Lt. Hall excluded of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom