• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Waiting to see if this comes up as a Deal on Amazon...

61oiIl2TopL._SL1000_.jpg

Quad Band: 10M ( 29Mhz ), 6M ( 52Mhz ), 2M ( 146Mhz ) & 70cm ( 440Mhz ) 50W/40W.

For $220.

https://www.amazon.com/TYT-TH-9800-...&qid=1513968971&sr=8-1&keywords=tyt+quad+band

Here ya go:

https://www.mtcradio.com/tyt-th-980...quad-band-mobile-29-50-144-430-mhz-ham-radio/

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Keep in mind (if you haven't already) that like a lot of these radios that do 10 and 6M, the transmit side is FM-only that limits the usefulness of them on those bands.
    I'd agree. I have the radio that thing was pirated from (Yaesu FT-8900r) and four bands, especially FM only, is a joke.

10 meters FM is simply not used and would only be good if you and a nearby friend wanted a mode/band of your own... 6 meter FM is good for repeaters, but I can ID and kerchunk three different 6 meter repeaters from my house and only one gets any traffic - about an hour each weekend by a small group of friends. There is much more action on 10 and 6 meters SSB, but that radio can't hear it. There are enough barely used 2 meter repeaters around that accessing unused 6 meter repeaters doesn't net one very much.

The other problem is limited power for 10/6. I have a 160 meter Carolina Windom at 65 feet AGL and a 6 meter vertical dipole at 50 feet and neither antenna will allow me to use 50 watts and reach the morning 6 meter net down here or any of the repeaters that range from 25 miles to almost 80. Using my TS-590 at 100 watts, I can reach all of the above on either antenna, even with the cross-polarity attenuation of the Windom.

Another fatal flaw with jamming four bands into this radio is that there is only one antenna connector, as if you could use all four bands with one antenna. You just can't, especially mobile. Antennas vary greatly from what is optimum for 10m, or even 6m and those used for 2m/70cm. Someone makes a four band antenna designed for this radio that, according to reviews, is nearly useless and so inefficient that it makes the inadequate power (for 10/6) issue even worse.

There is not one practical thing I can do with this four band rig that cannot be done with a dual band 144/440 and I could have saved myself some cash by going with one of those two banders. Plus, operation would be theoretically simplified.

I do use the cross-band repeater function to use the truck radio to boost an HT (HT transmits at 440, Ft-8900 receives that and retransmits on 144), but that function is rarely used outside of hunting season.

Otherwise, it a fine Chinese knockoff of a stupidly designed, but good quality, Yaesu radio.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

$180, not bad.

I'd agree. I have the radio that thing was pirated from (Yaesu FT-8900r) and four bands, especially FM only, is a joke.

10 meters FM is simply not used and would only be good if you and a nearby friend wanted a mode/band of your own... 6 meter FM is good for repeaters, but I can ID and kerchunk three different 6 meter repeaters from my house and only one gets any traffic - about an hour each weekend by a small group of friends. There is much more action on 10 and 6 meters SSB, but that radio can't hear it. There are enough barely used 2 meter repeaters around that accessing unused 6 meter repeaters doesn't net one very much.

The other problem is limited power for 10/6. I have a 160 meter Carolina Windom at 65 feet AGL and a 6 meter vertical dipole at 50 feet and neither antenna will allow me to use 50 watts and reach the morning 6 meter net down here or any of the repeaters that range from 25 miles to almost 80. Using my TS-590 at 100 watts, I can reach all of the above on either antenna, even with the cross-polarity attenuation of the Windom.

Another fatal flaw with jamming four bands into this radio is that there is only one antenna connector, as if you could use all four bands with one antenna. You just can't, especially mobile. Antennas vary greatly from what is optimum for 10m, or even 6m and those used for 2m/70cm. Someone makes a four band antenna designed for this radio that, according to reviews, is nearly useless and so inefficient that it makes the inadequate power (for 10/6) issue even worse.

There is not one practical thing I can do with this four band rig that cannot be done with a dual band 144/440 and I could have saved myself some cash by going with one of those two banders. Plus, operation would be theoretically simplified.

I do use the cross-band repeater function to use the truck radio to boost an HT (HT transmits at 440, Ft-8900 receives that and retransmits on 144), but that function is rarely used outside of hunting season.

Otherwise, it a fine Chinese knockoff of a stupidly designed, but good quality, Yaesu radio.

Hey Ed,

Yeah, I knew that it was a compromise at that price. The FM concerned me, but I did not know how much use FM had in HF. Thanks for the input.

Happy Holidays All!

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    $180, not bad.

Hey Ed,

Yeah, I knew that it was a compromise at that price. The FM concerned me, but I did not know how much use FM had in HF. Thanks for the input.

Happy Holidays All!

I totally agree with Ed's comments. Another thing to consider is cost. Don't jump on something just because it's cheap. The sound quality on some of the cheaper brands is not that good. Another thing is heat. Do they have good heat sinking. I've heard from some with the cheaper radios that they get too hot if transmitting at full power for awhile. Is another $100 dollars really too much? That's for you to decide. There's also ease of programming and additional features such as digital to consider. You might not think they are important now; but you may later.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I'm with you there. I am also looking at the Icom 7300. The waterfall display is nice. I'm taking the test for General next month and then it will be time to make a move. Have to figure out my antenna situation, first.

For antenna I'm looking at the Buddipole.

My wife isn't keen on a permanent setup since we are planning on selling our house next year. We visit her parents a few times a year so I thought the portable antenna would be good.

I have an Airspy SDR that can reach down to 30m without the converter. I thought the buddipole would be a good match for that to play with.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    For antenna I'm looking at the Buddipole.

My wife isn't keen on a permanent setup since we are planning on selling our house next year. We visit her parents a few times a year so I thought the portable antenna would be good.

I have an Airspy SDR that can reach down to 30m without the converter. I thought the buddipole would be a good match for that to play with.

Looks good. I am toying with either an End Fed wire antenna or some form of an off center fed dipole. We to are looking to move from stalag MD in the next few years and I am not getting up on the roof.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    You will not go wrong with the 7300, and the price continues to go down now that the 7610 was released.

As far as the OCF antenna goes, take a look at this site. http://www.ni4l.com Well built and seems to work great. I have one of the 7 band OCF antennas from NI4L and was impressed with the construction, the price and their customer service. You will need to address the common mode current issue, but that's nothing a home made choke can't handle, and using an antenna turner I've worked mine on 80, 40, 20, 17, and 12 meters, all with great reports. Mine is in the trees about 45-50 feet up and I can take it down in about 20 minutes if I need to. It's not a beam, but for what it is it works pretty good.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Looks like a few Baofeng's go up as a Amazon deal at 5 AM...
    BF-F9 V2+
    UV-5R V2+
    UV-82 V2+

Sent using the user limitations inherent of mobile devices.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Carroll County Ham Club is giving a Technician level course Jan 20 & 21, then the test on the 27th.

https://k3pzn.net/training/

Beat me to it.
    http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/news/neighborhoods/cc-nh-central-carroll-122717-story.html

Following the course, a test will be offered that is free and open to all. It will be held on Saturday, Jan. 27 at 9 a.m. at the Carroll County Training Center and will offer testing for all three license classes: Entry, General and Extra. Preregistration is recommended.

Hiltz said the Carroll County Amateur Radio Club meets on the second Monday of every month at the Fire Training Center at 50 Kate Wagner Road and they are open to new members.

The fee to join the club is $10 annually. If taking the course, $10 of the tuition can go toward joining the club.

To register for the course or the tests or to ask questions about either, please email the Carroll County Amateur Radio club at ccarc.k3pzn@google.com.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    ...I'd agree. I have the radio that thing was pirated from (Yaesu FT-8900r) and four bands, especially FM only, is a joke.

10 meters FM is simply not used and would only be good if you and a nearby friend wanted a mode/band of your own... 6 meter FM is good for repeaters, but I can ID and kerchunk three different 6 meter repeaters from my house and only one gets any traffic - about an hour each weekend by a small group of friends. There is much more action on 10 and 6 meters SSB, but that radio can't hear it. There are enough barely used 2 meter repeaters around that accessing unused 6 meter repeaters doesn't net one very much....

Agreed 100%. I had an 8900 and swapped it for an 8800. I did grab two 8900s used for a good price but have yet to do anything with them. 6 and 10 FM is just silly. Plus you have to be general class for the FM portion of 10 if I correctly recall.

...Another fatal flaw with jamming four bands into this radio is that there is only one antenna connector, as if you could use all four bands with one antenna. You just can't, especially mobile. Antennas vary greatly from what is optimum for 10m, or even 6m and those used for 2m/70cm. Someone makes a four band antenna designed for this radio that, according to reviews, is nearly useless and so inefficient that it makes the inadequate power (for 10/6) issue even worse...

I had the Diamond antenna that is designed for the 8900. Never could get it to tune properly. The guy I bought the used 8900s from used a couple up duplexers connected together so that you can run three separate antennas (2m/70cm, 6m, 10m) off of the 8900s. I thought that was a better plan than trying to quad band one antenna.

...There is not one practical thing I can do with this four band rig that cannot be done with a dual band 144/440 and I could have saved myself some cash by going with one of those two banders. Plus, operation would be theoretically simplified.

I love the crossband repeat functionality of the 8800 and 8900. I've set up mine to where I can transmit on 70cm from a handheld in or around the house and have my base station (8800) crossband over to 2M for a local repeater that I cannot hit from an HT. It's useful but you have to mind the delay and key the mic for a second before speaking. You also tend to lose the first word of anyone else because of the crossband delay.

I'm not a fan at all of the chinese knockoffs. I find the menus to be painful to navigate and most of them do not have automatic repeater shifts programmed according to the band plans here. That is such a useful feature on the Yaesu radios (I'm sure others have it too) when you're traveling away from home. I bought three Baofangs over the years. One was trash. The other two I keep as emergency spares. The only two positive things I have to say about them is the price and the battery life.

I bought a Powerwerx DB-750X for SAR use (it's commercial) and it's painful to use. The menus are tricky and I cannot get tone squelch to work for the life of me. My advice to everyone is to avoid the chinese knockoffs and to either spend a little more on name brand OR buy used gear.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Agreed 100%. I had an 8900 and swapped it for an 8800. I did grab two 8900s used for a good price but have yet to do anything with them. 6 and 10 FM is just silly. Plus you have to be general class for the FM portion of 10 if I correctly recall.

I had the Diamond antenna that is designed for the 8900. Never could get it to tune properly. The guy I bought the used 8900s from used a couple up duplexers connected together so that you can run three separate antennas (2m/70cm, 6m, 10m) off of the 8900s. I thought that was a better plan than trying to quad band one antenna.

I love the crossband repeat functionality of the 8800 and 8900. I've set up mine to where I can transmit on 70cm from a handheld in or around the house and have my base station (8800) crossband over to 2M for a local repeater that I cannot hit from an HT. It's useful but you have to mind the delay and key the mic for a second before speaking. You also tend to lose the first word of anyone else because of the crossband delay.

I'm not a fan at all of the chinese knockoffs. I find the menus to be painful to navigate and most of them do not have automatic repeater shifts programmed according to the band plans here. That is such a useful feature on the Yaesu radios (I'm sure others have it too) when you're traveling away from home. I bought three Baofangs over the years. One was trash. The other two I keep as emergency spares. The only two positive things I have to say about them is the price and the battery life.

I bought a Powerwerx DB-750X for SAR use (it's commercial) and it's painful to use. The menus are tricky and I cannot get tone squelch to work for the life of me. My advice to everyone is to avoid the chinese knockoffs and to either spend a little more on name brand OR buy used gear.
    Totally agree. Buy something decent. I too have Yaesu radios and they are awesome. The four band versions are not worth it. I have two FTM100 s which have the fusion mode as well (digital). They are on sale for $289 at HRO right now. That is a heck of a radio at a great price.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom