• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I made some progress over the weekend with digital modes.

My base unit is a 2M Yaesu FT-2900 connected to a SignaLink to my PC via USB. Software I am using on the PC is Fldigi.

I then had my handheld, Yaesu FT-60r, connected to my Android tablet via USB DAC. Software used on the table is AndFlmsg.

I was able to reliably transmit data from my base unit to my tablet via the handheld.

It doesn't look like I can transmit data with the FT-60r without purchasing another SignaLink. My problem seems to be controlling the PTT from the tablet. It seems like only SignaLink does this in a fake VOX like way automatically. Otherwise I would have to rig a switch to manually control the PTT via a circuit.

Still, it was pretty cool even if it was just receiving. I learned a lot about digital modes in the process. My next step is to set up a script on my PC to send a message and then drive in my car away to see if I can still decode it on my tablet. I have an external antenna in my car so I should be able to get pretty far away, unless I'm missing something else.

I'm still looking for any hints or suggestions if anyone has them. Particularly on how to do a transmit data from my tablet to my HT without purchasing anything else. I think I might purchase the SignaLink cable for the FT-60r to try and transmit that way. It's only $25. I also have an Airspy mini SDR I can throw on my computer to receive from the tablet.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    You can look up K3ZO on the FCC website for contact info, I'm sure you know that already and was wondering if anyone knows him personally, correct?
    I know him (personally). His wife was Thai before she passed away, but he still goes back there every year.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It doesn't look like I can transmit data with the FT-60r without purchasing another SignaLink. My problem seems to be controlling the PTT from the tablet. It seems like only SignaLink does this in a fake VOX like way automatically. Otherwise I would have to rig a switch to manually control the PTT via a circuit.

I'm still looking for any hints or suggestions if anyone has them. Particularly on how to do a transmit data from my tablet to my HT without purchasing anything else. I think I might purchase the SignaLink cable for the FT-60r to try and transmit that way. It's only $25. I also have an Airspy mini SDR I can throw on my computer to receive from the tablet.

I don't know about "without purchasing anything else" but it you have a USB/RS232 adapter you could add some components to do PTT from the RTS/DTS signals.

http://www.k7rdg.org/techprojects/digitalsoundcardmodesnj7c20110207.pdf

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I don't know about "without purchasing anything else" but it you have a USB/RS232 adapter you could add some components to do PTT from the RTS/DTS signals.

http://www.k7rdg.org/techprojects/digitalsoundcardmodesnj7c20110207.pdf

Thanks, I'll look into this. I happen to have a USB/RS232 adapter back when I was using my MythTv box to control the DirecTv receiver.

I just remembered that I have an older netbook that I wouldn't mind dedicating to this project. I could reformat it with Linux. It has a built-in sound card and 3 USB ports. I should be able to get this to work with my FT-60r with enough patience.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have just come into possession of a 70 foot crank up tower with a Mosley Pro-67B antenna. Does anyone know someone that has experience in tower foundation installations?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have just come into possession of a 70 foot crank up tower with a Mosley Pro-67B antenna. Does anyone know someone that has experience in tower foundation installations?

If all you need is help with the base you may want to get the plans/templates and run it by some local concrete companies.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I know this may be a long shot, but MDS seems to have one of everyone on it..

I have a MaxTrac UHF (upper split) with 16pin connector, and a GM300 UHF (upper split) with 16pin connector that I need to have programmed. I used to at one point have a RIB, but it was "borrowed" and never returned and I have since lost track of the "borrower". I don't know the number of channels, or what is currently programmed, but they used to be installed and work. I would like to turn these into a light-duty repeater/Base Radios. I have licensed freq pairs up to 100w, so while this is not HAM use, I thought perhaps someone may have a RSS/RIB hookup.

Mark

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Er, scrolling down to the bottom of that page I think his wife will do just fine if he passes on ahead of her.

I'm not sure why, just a feeling deep down.

Oh I certainly don't doubt that, believe me! I meant getting rid of all the radio equipment. If you're a ham guy buying that house and maybe that wife might be a dream come true.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    A little bit farther, VHF digital

My friend came over Saturday and we played with VHF digital a bit more.

We were able to reliably transmit 3.8 miles to each other. He has a 5 watt Baofeng, and I have a 75 watt Yaesu FT-2900.

When he went to the next highest hill away, about 6 miles, he could get enough signal from me to break squelch and pick up some text but mostly gibberish. I could not get any signal from him to break squelch.

I don't know if we are using the wrong digital mode or if this just isn't possible. It seems to me that if I am blasting 75 watts he should be able to hear me at 6 miles away.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I know this may be a long shot, but MDS seems to have one of everyone on it..

I have a MaxTrac UHF (upper split) with 16pin connector, and a GM300 UHF (upper split) with 16pin connector that I need to have programmed. I used to at one point have a RIB, but it was "borrowed" and never returned and I have since lost track of the "borrower". I don't know the number of channels, or what is currently programmed, but they used to be installed and work. I would like to turn these into a light-duty repeater/Base Radios. I have licensed freq pairs up to 100w, so while this is not HAM use, I thought perhaps someone may have a RSS/RIB hookup.

Mark
    I can probably help you.

They don't do narrowband, so you can't legally use them on commercially licensed freqs after 2013.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA

We were able to reliably transmit 3.8 miles to each other. He has a 5 watt Baofeng, and I have a 75 watt Yaesu FT-2900.

When he went to the next highest hill away, about 6 miles, he could get enough signal from me to break squelch and pick up some text but mostly gibberish. I could not get any signal from him to break squelch.

I don't know if we are using the wrong digital mode or if this just isn't possible. It seems to me that if I am blasting 75 watts he should be able to hear me at 6 miles away.
    Were you using the stock beofeng antenna? It's worthless, even in comparison to the $22 radio (which I have a few of).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

It's probably got little to do with the power. Unless you have a tower, high building, etc. you are doing good for 6Mi simplex. The signal, without being reflected by the ionosphere or going through a repeater is going to pretty much be limited to just a little beyond the horizon.

Intervening structure, including trees is going to limit it a bit more.

You could also try using Yagis or other antennas with some more gain in one direction if you haven't already to try to squeeze out a little more distance.

You should also turn off the squelch since you may be able to decode signals that won't break the squelch depending on the mode you are using.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I can probably help you.

They don't do narrowband, so you can't legally use them on commercially licensed freqs after 2013.

ooohhhh... darn, I forgot about that little fact. Well I guess given the split and bandwidth, they are just about useless for much of anything other than a door stop. I saw there is a conversion kit, but I lack the equipment to do that, plus at the cost, not happening.

Any use for them? Or know anyone that does?

Mark

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Were you using the stock beofeng antenna? It's worthless, even in comparison to the $22 radio (which I have a few of).
    No. I have an Ed Fong antenna mounted on my roof, so it's about 20 feet off the ground. I'm also on the north side of a hill.

My friend was using an antenna external to his car for this experiment. I don't know the particular model but it's at least outside the vehicle.

At this point I wonder if we are trying to do the impossible.

What's it called again where you blast 6M into the sky in order to reach a small local area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom