• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    So it appears the consensus is 7mm mag. Now let's see if we can come up with a platform to shoot it out of for under $800 not counting optics.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    So it appears the consensus is 7mm mag. Now let's see if we can come up with a platform to shoot it out of for under $800 not counting optics.

Call the Gander Mountain in Sioux Falls and ask what they have on the shelf. Because whatever it is, you will be shooting it after your checked luggage with the ammo box gets lost.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Call the Gander Mountain in Sioux Falls and ask what they have on the shelf. Because whatever it is, you will be shooting it after your checked luggage with the ammo box gets lost.

From listening to them talk they always make a run to Sioux Falls when they get there.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie

Yeah, no kidding. The other thing to do is mail order the ammo you like and ship it to your hunting location. Be that friend or guide. It's a smart move. Makes sure you have enough to check zero too. And/or it's exactly what you want.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Here you go.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...22480&WTz_l=Unknown;cat105522480;cat105523380

Christiana is 1:30 away. Tikka guarantee is 3 shots in 1" at 100. Mine shoots better than that. 800 for optic and rifle leaves money in your budget to practice.

I am only 20 minutes from cabelas in Christiana I was planning on checking there when I had a good idea of what I wanted. I also had thought about shipping some of my hunting stuff to the uncles house.

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    Have shot my Rem 700s for 40 years without issue. Some have had recalls. If you want to try a Rem 700 in 300 win mag (leupold scope), pm me. At least you would have an idea of recoil, weight, comfort and fit.
    pablopac

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I am only 20 minutes from cabelas in Christiana I was planning on checking there when I had a good idea of what I wanted. I also had thought about shipping some of my hunting stuff to the uncles house.

One time my rifle showed and my hunting gear missed the connecting flight. My guide told me that was common and to alays put license, tags, and essential equipment in my rifle case.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    The 7mm is a solid choice, but you can also do just fine with any of the standard rounds as well, 270, 280, 30-06, 260, 7-08, 308, 25-06, etc. Or even stuff like the 7mm Mauser, 257 Roberts, 6.5x55mm, etc. Hell you could spice it up and hunt old school by closing distances and carry a lever gun in 30-30, 35 Rem, 45-70, 348, etc.

Not saying you can't be ready and competent out to 400 in time, but most shots don't have to be that far. Lots of stuff can go wrong out there and distant shooting sometimes lacks the thrill and adrenaline. Good luck with whatever your choice and on your hunt.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county

Tikka T3 hunter, the gun shoots sub MOA out of the box with factory ammo. I set one up for my fiancé in .308 with talley rings and a Nikon prostaff scope and am amazed how accurate it is.

Capt-D

Aug 13, 2012
    Outfit the AR lower with a 6.5 Grendel upper from Alexander Arms in VA. You would be one of the cool kids! :) seriously check them out!

-D

thai

May 8, 2013
    The Grendel is a great round, especially for an AR. The velocity and energy at 400 yds appears to be plenty for dear size game. 123 grains may be at the cartridge maximum for the round. The only problem with that is the amount of bullet drop may be quite large reminiscent of a rainbow.

When I mentioned earlier the need for a cartridge that is capable shooting a "light for caliber bullet" means that you can take a .300 Winchester magnum cartridge which is mostly used for shooting 165 grains to 200 grains. But you can download load the cartridge a little and put in a light bullet around 140 to 150 grains. With the lower weight bullet, the velocity is increase and the trajectory is much less than its normal 180 grain bullet, and out of the .300, the energy will be alot higher that of the grendel.

This can be done for the .270, 7mm magnum, 30-06, .300 Magnum ( Any flavor).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom