• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • repsolracer22

Nov 26, 2013
    Well, until they trespass, you dont really have a case against them. However, if you intentionally harass wildlife to interfere with their hunt, they have somewhat of a valid complaint about your actions. Driving up and down your property line just to drive away the animals would be kind of dickish behavior, I could see a DNR officer writing you a ticket that you then have to spend money fight in court. Arguing the finer points of wording in a regulation with a LEO rarely works.

You honestly think that any LEO would actually write me up or mess with me if Im driving my ATV on my own property? How would they ever assume that my ONLY purpose in doing that is to scare off deer? Obviously it would never hold up in court, and like you said, it would cost money to defend. I get that. But you actually think that a LEO would even write you up for that? I can ride my atv on my property whenever I want. I dont have to have a reason. Is this serious?

I could just be patrolling my property. I could be riding around enjoying myself. I could be making new trails, looking for fallen trees, moving rocks, etc etc etc etc etc

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You honestly think that any LEO would actually write me up or mess with me if Im driving my ATV on my own property?

That would be the best scenario, to have DNR show up.

If the stands are as close to your property, as you say. The LEO's will tell them to move the stands away from the property lines.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    But it would be a coincidence of not normal behavior that someone rides their ATV every time they go to hunt right? Now there is a pattern

What you would be talking about now is a "social" issue that LE probably deals with 99% of the day.

Since no one is doing anything illegal, I would guess the big "investigation" would lead to a peace officer suggesting the hunters go somewhere not near your property line.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I could just be patrolling my property. I could be riding around enjoying myself. I could be making new trails, looking for fallen trees, moving rocks, etc etc etc etc etc

could could could, sure. The DNR officers job is to enforce hunting regulations and at times that includes protecting hunters from 'animal rights activists' and the crazy-deer-feeding-lady. Faced with a complaint from three hunters that you intentionally interfered with them hunting on land that they have permission to use, he may just decide to cite you, knowing well that the ticket wont hold up in court. Remember, he gets paid to show up in court, means nothing for him to drive down to the courthouse while your $275/hr lawyer files a couple of motions to run up the clock on you.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    could could could, sure. The DNR officers job is to enforce hunting regulations and at times that includes protecting hunters from 'animal rights activists' and the crazy-deer-feeding-lady. Faced with a complaint from three hunters that you intentionally interfered with them hunting on land that they have permission to use, he may just decide to cite you, knowing well that the ticket wont hold up in court. Remember, he gets paid to show up in court, means nothing for him to drive down to the courthouse while your $275/hr lawyer files a couple of motions to run up the clock on you.

If the OP was cutting firewood or something constructive to his well being, the hunters don't have a leg to stand on.

The proof will be on the ground when the LEO shows up, and the OP might have a lot of firewood for sale :)

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If the OP was cutting firewood or something constructive to his well being, the hunters don't have a leg to stand on.

Lol, that gets into that whole thing about how many acres you are allowed to cut without a development services permit :sad20: .

I am not sure I would be motivated enough to get up every day before shooting light just to annoy some hunters. If you are a hard-core hunter yourself, well then maybe, but if you are indifferent to it in the first place it seems like a lot of work just to be a dick.
    Post the property line. Give them notice that they are not to trespass, document if they do so. May not be a bad idea to complain about them to DNR at this point, while DNR wont do anything, they wont be able to claim ignorance once an incident happens.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Well, until they trespass, you dont really have a case against them. However, if you intentionally harass wildlife to interfere with their hunt, they have somewhat of a valid complaint about your actions. Driving up and down your property line just to drive away the animals would be kind of dickish behavior, I could see a DNR officer writing you a ticket that you then have to spend money fight in court. Arguing the finer points of wording in a regulation with a LEO rarely works.

I love when it turns to the OP as being the bad guy when its clear the supposed "hunters" are the guys causing the problem. :sad20:

Sure its a dick move...but so is not "knowing" or claiming to not know where the property lines are and instead of moving far from the property line they move just across it, when they have 12 acres to hunt:sad20: yeah those guys absolutely know where the property line is and if they see a nice buck on the OP property they would shoot it. Otherwise they wouldnt have their blind facing the OP property and be so close to it :sad20:If the so called hunters were'nt being douches they would move their stand far away as they can from the property line and respect the OP property line. But from past experience I can see this going to be a problem for him for a long time till the acreage next to him sells.

Like my property here in Idaho....there are literally thousands of acres around here and people want to trespass through and or in my 8 acres:sad20:just because it borders state land and it was vacant for 19yrs..Just the other day I had fresh vehicle tracks in the mud coming up to my gate.....this whole driveway/road is private where only a few people live and yet I still have people come in messing around two years later after I moved back to the local area.

repsolracer22

Nov 26, 2013
    these clowns have 12 acres to hunt where ever they want. Why the F do they have to be right on my line wtf? This is what gives hunters a bad name. There are plenty of ethical, reasonable, and considerate hunters out there .... sucks

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    these clowns have 12 acres to hunt where ever they want. Why the F do they have to be right on my line wtf? This is what gives hunters a bad name. There are plenty of ethical, reasonable, and considerate hunters out there .... sucks

Best to paint the trees to delineate the property line. Hopefully, they will get the hint.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    As long as you are on your property you can do what you want. It is only harassment if you are not on your property. Our neighbor drove a lawn tractor up and down her tiny 80 yard strip of woods beating two pans together for the first two days of deer firearm. Spoke to DNR and she has to go off of her property. I could have had her picked up as the only way she can get to that part of the strip on the tractor is to cross the corner of another neighbors property, but I let it go since we had somewhere else to hunt.

I would put up some stands on the same boundary but facing in towards your property and hunt that for a while. They will know you will see them if they shoot across, and also get tired of the close company.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    As long as you are on your property you can do what you want. It is only harassment if you are not on your property. Our neighbor drove a lawn tractor up and down her tiny 80 yard strip of woods beating two pans together for the first two days of deer firearm. Spoke to DNR and she has to go off of her property. I could have had her picked up as the only way she can get to that part of the strip on the tractor is to cross the corner of another neighbors property, but I let it go since we had somewhere else to hunt.

I would put up some stands on the same boundary but facing in towards your property and hunt that for a while. They will know you will see them if they shoot across, and also get tired of the close company.
    or to be a real dick move make a stand of equal height and size and put it right next to where their blind is and cover their blind with yours on the OP property of course:innocent0:lol2: If you never hunt in it oh well it still blocks their view:D

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    The OP is not the bad guy here. This thread was created based on "what if" scenarios that could become true. As far as I read it, no hunters have wandered into property they shouldn't be. I don't think hunters trespassing into unmarked land is a question of hunting ethics until they know/knew beforehand (marked property lines?). Lack of due diligence? Sounds better right now.

The OP should be glad he lives in the middle of nowhere, out in the sticks and a few hunters wearing blazer orange and camo walking onto unmarked property is the one of the few 1st world problems he has to deal with.

Maybe if this gets you hot and bothered you can rally in Annapolis for our state law makers to legislate clear as mud hunting regulations to include laws against "sweeping" other property owners line of sight with their tree stands, or move back somewhere else and not ever deal with dudes wearing Real Tree APG4 not knowing who's property they are on? I really don't know what else we're looking for here.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I went through this in North Carolina and asked my cousin to take care of it while I was up here. Next visit down the offending property owner took down their stand. I asked my cousin what did he say to them. he said "nothing at all, I just put put up a stand on your property line facing his stand."

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I remember watching lee and Tiffany's show once and they had the same problem. The had a guy put up a stand 5 yards off the property line and they said there is nothing they could do about it. So they just started to gut their deer next to those stands so the people would take the hint.

AV8OR

Jan 22, 2010
    We could what if the shit outta this problem. Here is what you do.

Mark your property line
    Talk to them like an adult and explain your small children/kids on property issue
    Don't call cops unless you know they broke the law.
    Don't be a dickhead.
    They want a place to hunt and I am sure they will act accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom