• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Why is there not an equal playing field when it comes to personal safety in Maryland? Why is there such a disparity in the haves, people that are allowed to obtain a concealed carry permit, and the have nots, people that are unable to obtain a concealed carry permit and thus are restricted in their ability to protect themselves and their families outside of their homes? In light of recent federal court rulings striking down Maryland’s requirement that law abiding citizens need a “good and substantial reason” to obtain a concealed carry permit, why do Maryland’s elected officials continue to waste tax dollars by continuing to appeal and deny citizens the ability to protect themselves and their families? Every state that touches Maryland currently allows its law abiding citizens to obtain a concealed carry permit by following a reasonable application and licensing procedure. In fact currently forty of the fifty United States allow their citizens to concealed carry a firearm for basic protection with a similar reasonable application and licensing procedure.

Who can currently receive a concealed carry permit in Maryland you ask? According to the Maryland State Police website individuals that qualify as having a “good and substantial reason” include professionals, i.e.; lawyers, doctors, pharmacists, elected officials, etc. Can you see the irony of that last one? They make the laws that restrict the rest of the population but do not apply the law to themselves. Who else you ask? These individuals may also obtain a permit without a “good and substantial reason”, business owners, persons making large financial deposits, people that have a large cash flow. Do you notice a trend here? If you are an “important person”, or if you handle a lot of money you are able to provide protection for that money. Really, we are holding money or those carrying it as more important than the average Joe and his family? What about the value of my family, my young children, what are they worth to this state? Other people that are also able to provide the “good and substantial reason” include former police officers, security guards, correctional officers, and armored car guards to name a few. I agree that these people should be able to concealed carry but some are only allowed while they are performing their job duties, somehow they are not qualified to protect themselves at other times. So what else qualifies as a “good and substantial reason”? Documented recent threats, robberies or assaults can get a law abiding citizen a concealed carry permit. So in fact the vast majority of citizens looking to protect themselves and their families outside of their home must actually have been a victim of a crime before they can legally provide for their own protection. I am not sure about the rest of you but this does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I have to be a victim of a crime before I can legally better protect myself from a potential threat.

I am truly disappointed in Maryland’s resistance to follow the guidance given by a federal court and the lawmaker’s determination to continue to deny the average citizen the right to protect themselves outside of their home. Remember 40 other states allow for their citizens to better protect their families. The lawmaker’s themselves, many “professionals”, and business owners are exempt in Maryland. What makes them any better than you? How are their lives and the lives of their families any more precious than that yours and your families? I say they are not. I say level the playing field. Give everyone the same opportunity and the same chance. Law abiding citizens should not be restricted and sacrificed as would be victims. Let your lawmakers know you want to see change. Do not stand for this unfair and inequitable arrangement any longer.

Last edited:

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    These individuals may also obtain a permit without a “good and substantial reason”, business owners, persons making large financial deposits, people that have a large cash flow. Do you notice a trend here? If you are an “important person”, or if you handle a lot of money you are able to protect yourself and your family.

This part is not so true. remember they got the permit because they have money. They are allowed to protect the money not themselves and there family. If that were the case then they could get a permit just to protect them and not because of the money (they can only protect the TAX money). Basically you can get a permit to protect valuable property......apparently life is not a valuable property to them. Remember to try and word it in a way that hits home.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    This part is not so true. remember they got the permit because they have money. They are allowed to protect the money not themselves and there family. If that were the case then they could get a permit just to protect them and not because of the money (they can only protect the TAX money). Basically you can get a permit to protect valuable property......apparently life is not a valuable property to them. Remember to try and word it in a way that hits home.

Thank you, that was my intent was to skew that part towards protecting money. I will work on that part. That is why I opened it up to review before I sent it off. I know you guys will pick it apart and help me make it the better.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Who else you say? These individuals may also obtain a permit without a “good and substantial reason”, business owners, persons making large financial deposits, people that have a large cash flow. Do you notice a trend here? If you are an “important person”, or if you handle a lot of money you are able to provide protection for that money. Really, we are holding money or those carrying it as more important than the average Joe and his family? What about the value of my family, my young children, what are they worth to this state?

Ok, I modifed the money section like so.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    OMG, OMG, OMG.....I am sooooooo excite. THE SUN PRINTED THIS TODAY.....

A level playing field for concealed carry. They did break up my paragraphs for me better.

OMG.....OMG.....

If you all would like you can go to the sun opinion page and comment.

OMG........This is too cool. Sorry, I am a little excited!!!

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    OMG, OMG, OMG.....I am sooooooo excite. THE SUN PRINTED THIS TODAY.....

A level playing field for concealed carry. They did break up my paragraphs for me better.

OMG.....OMG.....

If you all would like you can go to the sun opinion page and comment.

OMG........This is too cool. Sorry, I am a little excited!!!

:party29: Nice work!

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    The main point is that $1.50 of "business currency" is more important than any single human life in MD.

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom