• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    The son has decided he wants to shoot. I’m torn between the cricket and the savage youth. Leaning towards the savage. Either you recommend or favor more than the other?

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I bought my son the cricket when he was six ( a year ago), this was after he experienced shooting one of my semi-automatic .22's. The cricket wasn't as much fun to shoot for him since you had to pull back the bolt, load the round, seat the bolt and then pull back to cock the BCG. It's fine for teaching the basics, but a pain in the butt. On reflection I should have bought him a bolt action with a tubular or box magazine. He would have enjoyed shooting it more.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    I have been thinking about a 10/22. Only problem is he blasts thru the ammo and isn’t working on his skill

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I bought my son the cricket when he was six ( a year ago), this was after he experienced shooting one of my semi-automatic .22's. The cricket wasn't as much fun to shoot for him since you had to pull back the bolt, load the round, seat the bolt and then pull back to cock the BCG. It's fine for teaching the basics, but a pain in the butt. On reflection I should have bought him a bolt action with a tubular or box magazine. He would have enjoyed shooting it more.

I'll second this. The cricket is a PIA for some. Son still enjoys it, but given a second chance I'd go another route.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Between the two, I would go with the Savage.

Another option, depending on how big your son is, is the Ruger American Rimfire. It's a little more expensive, but you can get it with the Ruger modular stock on it and install one of the short modules for him to use. That way he'd be able to grow in to it, too.

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    I have been thinking about a 10/22. Only problem is he blasts thru the ammo and isn’t working on his skill
    Which is why a single shot bolt rifle is the way to go. Won't be long before he starts getting interested in where his shots are going. I'd actually recommend a Henry lever. Although about 100$ more, it's a real keeper. And if you look around for used, I'm sure you can find a nice one cheap.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Between the two, I would go with the Savage.

Another option, depending on how big your son is, is the Ruger American Rimfire. It's a little more expensive, but you can get it with the Ruger modular stock on it and install one of the short modules for him to use. That way he'd be able to grow in to it, too.

Savage makes a .22 bolt for younger kids. It has a smaller stock for them so it isn't so unwieldy. I bought one for my daughter back in the day. It's still her's if she wants it.

EDIT - The actual name is: Savage Mark II GY Youth Bolt-Action Rimfire Rifle

And you can get an adult stock for it pretty inexpensively when they grow up. It also takes Tech Sites which make it all the more accurate.

Last edited:

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I bought the Crickett for my boy when he was 6, I saw it on sale at Dick's and bought it. It was ok but in hindsight after talking with people I would have bought Savage Rascal. He's 13 now and has the Ruger American compact. Like Hawkeye said the stock is modular so as he grows I can get the regular stock and put on for him.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I have the Ruger American rimfire compact for my son. Takes 10-22 mags. I bought it for him when he was 9. I'm getting him a 10-22 for Christmas this year and he 'll already have a stash of mag's for it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Harking back to post #3 - The point of a ( presumably ) training rifle is to gain marksmanship skills . This is gained thru things like proper form , careful aiming, and smooth trigger control . Mag dumps not so much .

Hunterjjd

Jun 29, 2011
    Remington has a Model 5, comes with 5 shot clip and single shot clip. HEAVY wood stock, might be to heavy but is another option

I am not a cricket fan

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I have the Ruger American rimfire compact for my son. Takes 10-22 mags. I bought it for him when he was 9. I'm getting him a 10-22 for Christmas this year and he 'll already have a stash of mag's for it.

We have two Ruger American Rimfires in our family. My wife bought one, and I could never get to use it, so I bought my own!! :party29:

We also have two 10/22's.........

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Remington has a Model 5, comes with 5 shot clip and single shot clip. HEAVY wood stock, might be to heavy but is another option.

Another even better option is the CZ Scout. It comes with a single shot sled, but takes standard 5 or 10 round magazines. My son used one for NRA small bore target shooting until he graduated to a full-sized rifle. The rifle was exceptionally accurate.

JoeR

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Another even better option is the CZ Scout. It comes with a single shot sled, but takes standard 5 or 10 round magazines. My son used one for NRA small bore target shooting until he graduated to a full-sized rifle. The rifle was exceptionally accurate.

JoeR
    Second this.

CZ has a mag interrupt that only allows one round to go into what's normally a 5 round mag. Can be taken out when kid's ready later. Doesn't require a separate trainer mag.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

brooksie

Dec 30, 2010
    Middle River
    I agree with Hawkeye. I thought the Cricket was a PIA so I bought the Savage Rascal for my younger grandkids. It fits them well and they have no problem operating it. This week, I ordered the Ruger American Rimfire for my older grandkids. The model that was on sale at CDNN was the standard model, so I ordered a set of the compact stock inserts for it. They have already shot the Ruger at the youth shoots at my club and did very well with it.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Another vote for the Savage Rascal. Both of my girls started shooting theirs when they were 4. Perfect for teaching safety and basic marksmanship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom