• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Guys, I'm starting this thread and leaving it as a sticky for those of you that are currently unemployed. What I'd ask is just give us a brief profile of your background, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities. Off topic stuff will be deleted out so that we can keep a short, concise list of who's out there and what they're looking for. If you are in a position to help a fellow board member, please contact them via PM.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Thanks for the consideration joppaj.

I'll be taking some time before diving into this, but I will post something soon.

For now, in short, last 14+ years as lead Desktop Support tech for the same company, but in IT and customer service (in various forms) since the 80s.

More to follow

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Degree in chemistry, not yet worked in the field, work in a gun shop and know that business well but need something with benefits.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Systems Engineer (no clearance) : mostly Windows Server and Enterprise Support, SQL Clustering, monitoring, Vsphere, some storage support.
    Was with last company as Sr. Systems Engineer for 11 years, been in IT since 81 (mainframe operations)...systems since 92 (Netware/Windows).

Company re-orged last September and split up in 2 dropping about 20%. Just heard they're selling one of those 1/2s.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I worked for a well known hand and automotive specialty tool company for almost 23 years. The company sold out and closed the facility at the end of 2010. I have been looking for a job since then. I am searching for employment in a warehouse environment.

I supervised the Return Goods Department since 1988 and took over the Receiving Department the last few years. My title was 'Work Leader' which was essentially an hourly paid supervisor. I was also a 'back up work leader' for other departments as well.
    I am a Certified Industrial Truck Trainer. (reach truck, O.P., electric sit down, propane sit down, electric pallet jacks, clamp truck)
    I was the liaison with Customer Service at the corporate office.
    I assisted the Quality Assurance Dept. with customer questions and complaints.
    Preformed trouble shooting and repairs on laser jet and label printers as well as RF scanners. I was the go to for computer issues in the warehouse.
    Experienced with AS400 inventory system
    Experienced in ISO 9002 internal audits
    Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel

I have had a lot of interviews in the last year and have had a few 'second interviews', but have yet to be offered employment. I believe that age discrimination has been a factor. Recently I have been working a volunteer job at a farm four days a week, for something to do.

Guys, let me know if you hear of anything I should look into.
    Thanks.

John

:thumbsup: Update 8/23--- :D It looks like I am now employed! :D I start on 9/4. I love these hours! 5 am to 1:30. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    This isn't exactly about me but hopefully its alright if not you can just delete my post.

My brother just graduated from Tulane University(3.5+ gpa) Double majored in Finance and Econ and had a specialization in the energy field. He is looking for a finance job in the equities side of a company. If anybody can help him get his foot in the door it would be awesome. He is a very hard and dedicated worker(and would put in extra hours on his own to get the job done) just is a little shy and is having a hard time finding a job.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Technical writer/proofreader/editor. Integrated Logistics Support, Provisioning.

Darn, wish I would have known that.. I have a book coming out 8/1.. I'm working on the second now so I'l P.M. you when I get close to finished for some proofing...

Me, 22+ years as a commercial electrician including foreman, superintendent and project management including related training. Also have experience in automotive shop as counter/service writer with ASE certs. Experience in all things preparedness related including all phases of farming, livestock, gardening, canning, etc. I also do wired and wireless security installations.

BunkerKing

5.56 ammo horder. . .
    Jun 5, 2012
    Land of the O's
    non CDL delivery experience for the last 12 years, familiar with MD, VA, PA, DE and WV. no criminal record, valid DOT medical card until 03-22-2013. valid MD license with no points. looking for full time work. looking to stay close to glen burnie or surrounding.(main office)

Mr H

Banana'd
    From the resume...

Seeking to utilize personal, service, and diagnostic skills to benefit any size organization. Over 25 years' experience in providing responsive and effective support and service, drawing on a wide variety of knowledge. Willing to move into fields other than strictly IT/Technical, learning while drawing on logical and troubleshooting skills developed throughout past positions.

Additional Skills
    • Self-study in microcomputer application
    • Windows and PC application through work-use
    • Microsoft Certified Professional (NT4)
    • A+ Certification
    • Various work-related courses, including Lotus Notes implementation
    • Customer Service focused

Outside of Desktop Support work, I am also willing to look at light landscaping, some handyman activities... Have also been in golf club repair and custom fitting/building over the past 10 years.

RangerWillrett

Jun 20, 2011
    Mineral Co WV
    this is my current job description but I have also fixed copiers and faxes. I have had several years of helpdesk and call center experience also.

Job Duties: Provide installation, maintenance, and repairs on atm equipment, retail/point-of-sale and other electromechanical equipment at various locations within assigned territory, independently and with minimal supervision. Perform work on products including large servers and mainframe computers and peripherals, large system printers, enterprise level servers, networks and software, item processing reader/sorters and networking issues on imaging systems, medium/high complexity networking/communications equipment, network and systems management/protocols (Ethernet, Token-Ring, StarLAN, NetBIOS). Partner and communicate with leading technology companies - Cisco, Nortel, Sun, Dell, HP and others. Assure high levels of customer satisfaction while taking ownership of problem until resolved to customers satisfaction or in compliance with agreed upon service agreement with organization (financial, retail, travel, healthcare, and other industries).

kwaters4

Aug 14, 2012
    Fallston
    I'm an engineering student with experience in fire arms, automotive, and retail. I currently work at walmart in the sporting goods and automotive department. I'm looking for an engineering internship, or something in the firearms or automotive field that would want mostly weekend out through some week days probably part time.

Galstan

Aug 5, 2008
    Graduated from Dickinson College as a Middle East Studies major / Russian minor

Wrote my thesis on corruption, conflict, and crime in the Middle East; it was published by the Terrorism Research & Analysis Consortium this summer (available on request)

Fluent in Arabic; worked as a professional translator in Jordan; 3 years Arabic tutoring experience

Office experience creating and managing projects including: Congressional outreach, media analysis, fact checking, logistics, Arabic translation, independent research

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Graduated from Dickinson College as a Middle East Studies major / Russian minor

Wrote my thesis on corruption, conflict, and crime in the Middle East; it was published by the Terrorism Research & Analysis Consortium this summer (available on request)

Fluent in Arabic; worked as a professional translator in Jordan; 3 years Arabic tutoring experience

Office experience creating and managing projects including: Congressional outreach, media analysis, fact checking, logistics, Arabic translation, independent research

PM sent.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Layed after 8.5 years due to lack of work

23 years working in Land Surveying
    First 10 years working my way to Party Chief in the field.
    Last 13 working in an office environment with a strong cad background

Most recently Carlson Surveys 2011 and Autodesk Civil 3D 2011. Additional software experience include Trimble Geomatics Office, Corpscon, MS Office Suite, Bentley Microstation J & V8

Somewhere in the middle of my office career worked a dual role as assistant manager/Cad Tech for about 2 years scheduling field crews, taking workorders from clients and overseeing office/field staff in absence of section head.

Also completed a BS degree in Computer Information Systems at Strayer University in 2002 while working full time. Never pursued that path, but it's never too late to start a new career.

TS DoD clearance renewed a couple months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom