Can I sell a hundgun in Virginia even I am a MD resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Yesterday a lot of messages were gone. My gun is a Charter arms pitbull 9mm revolver, I brought it to a FFL dealer shop in MD , I bought it $ 452 (new) on 2016, but now the boss said only can pay me $175.00 because it is a used gun, so I decided I will keep it for several years or at least will not sell to the gun shop. I have no more questions for this message.

Thanks.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    This was probably your best choice, you can always use it in a trade in the future for something that you would rather have. I usually regret selling firearms, even if I don't shoot them much, I would much rather trade one for at least part of the cost of another one that I have a greater desire for.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I see my post (that efeng9622 quoted in his post #32) was deleted.

I hope I was not one of the miscreants Norton called out. I've no desire to be a Mod in any way, and was truly trying to help the OP by offering to answer questions in PM.

If I was in error, I apologize to Norton, et al.

Yesterday a lot of messages were gone. My gun is a Charter arms pitbull 9mm revolver, I brought it to a FFL dealer shop in MD , I bought it $ 452 (new) on 2016, but now the boss said only can pay me $175.00 because it is a used gun, so I decided I will keep it for several years or at least will not sell to the gun shop. I have no more questions for this message.

Thanks.

I believe this is a good decision. I would not sell it until you complete the Handgun Qualification License (HQL) process. The HQL will cost you almost $200 and takes 1 month to receive.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    I believe this is a good decision. I would not sell it until you complete the Handgun Qualification License (HQL) process. The HQL will cost you almost $200 and takes 1 month to receive.
    How do you figure $200?

You mean if he sold the gun then applied? As of now, it would just be:

$50 for the MSP
    @$20 for livescan.

He doesn't require training because he owns a handgun already.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

How do you figure $200?

$50 for the MSP
    @$20 for livescan.

Cheers

Livescan is more like $60 and I thought the regulated firearm/handgun needed to be a Maryland (MD) purchase so Maryland State Police (MSP) can confirm it. Thus the make, model and serial number request for training exemption- I could be wrong on that part. It is my understanding that MSP has no way of knowing what firearms were purchased in another state.

Last edited:

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    Livescan is more like $60 and I thought the regulated firearm/handgun needed to be a Maryland (MD) purchase so Maryland State Police (MSP) can confirm it. Thus the make, model and serial number request for training exemption- I could be wrong on that part. It is my understanding that MSP has no way of knowing what firearms were purchased in another state.
    I've seen it for a lot less, and no, you just need to own it. Your don't need to prove it with receipts or anything, you just need to give a serial number, make, etc. I believe I've read posts from those who have made their own handgun and used that...

Cheers

How do you figure $200?

$50 for the MSP
    @$20 for livescan.

Cheers

I've seen it for a lot less, and no, you just need to own it. Your don't need to prove it with receipts or anything, you just need to give a serial number, make, etc. I believe I've read posts from those who have made their own handgun and used that...

Cheers

A new resident from Virginia, whose handgun was bought in Virginia would be unknown to MSP. There is no nationwide registry of who owns a specific firearm- only stolen firearms. MSP knows about the handguns I bought in Maryland, but doesn't know what guns I purchased before moving to Maryland.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    A new resident from Virginia, whose handgun was bought in Virginia would be unknown to MSP. There is no nationwide registry of who owns a specific firearm- only stolen firearms. MSP knows about the handguns I bought in Maryland, but doesn't know what guns I purchased before moving to Maryland.
    The point being?

They don't have to know about your guns, you just have to own them legally.

The point being?

They don't have to know about your guns, you just have to own them legally.

The point is they need to confirm you legally own a handgun or regulated firearm. There is no provision on the HQL application to provide out of state documentation. They ask for make, model and serial number so they can check the MSP database- which only contains Maryland purchases.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    But in the HQL application it does not say that firearm must have been purchased in MD.
    Do we know if someone has been successful in submitting a firearm that they bought in another state without ever having purchased a regulated firearm in MD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    The point is they need to confirm you legally own a handgun or regulated firearm. There is no provision on the HQL application to provide out of state documentation. They ask for make, model and serial number so they can check the MSP database- which only contains Maryland purchases.
    There is no provision because there is no requirement for paperwork. You provide the serial number of a legally owned handgun, you have met your obligation.

Another option...get your C&R license... Buy gun with cash at a gun show or FFL anywhere other than MD, drive it home, then use that one to qualify. Legally owned, no MD record, perfectly legally to exempt you from training. What do you imagine 'they' would do?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Used gun business economics 101 :

Starting point - A dealer that purchases a gun outright for his inventory would typically pay aprox 2/3 of the price he would offer it for sale .

If the dealer already had a heavy inventory of similar guns , he would offer less.

If the dealer didn't think his clientele would have much intrest in a particular gun , he would offer less.

If he can currently get low prices for similar new guns from his wholesale suppliers , he would offer less .

Some dealers prefer to mainly sell new guns , some actively buy and sell used .

The offer of $175 seems a little bit low . I would guestimate a dealer would price that in his display case for $300-350 . That would imply paying you ( seller ) $200 , or a bit more .

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Thanks.

Six or five round chamber?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The HQL statute only says that you must own a regulated firearm. It makes not mention of state of purchase.

MD Statute 5-117.1

Attachments

• hql.jpg
      hql.jpg
      41.5 KB · Views: 122

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If someone moves to Maryland from another state after Oct. 2013 they will certainly register all the regulated firearms including handguns with the Maryland State Police in accordance with the law.
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx
    Regulated firearms:
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Documents/2014RegulatedFirearms.pdf

Therefore the Maryland State Police will have a record of the serial numbers. If they submit a handgun serial number with an HQL application the MSP will have a record unless it was in the state prior to Oct. 2013 or is in one of the other exceptions. A handgun purchased in 2016 and brought into the state should have been registered within 90 days of establishing residency.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom