• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Modular models that follow a standardized design are the direction most everything has been heading. GLOCK is relatively modular, but to the degree of a Sig 320, and whatever everyone starts producing to compete with it. The ability for a novice to swap parts around, and get the exact model, or range of models they like is a huge selling point, and makes the relatively high up-front cost of a gun more bearable as it can be upgraded down the road. Obviously it benefits 80% builders, and while growing, they are still probably a small part of the market. I think in the end it increases sales more than it limits them, know quite a few people that bought an AR, liked it, shot it, got another upper with a different barrel or caliber, put a few upgrades into it, then ended up buying another lower to reassemble the pile of parts into a 2nd rifle where they may have never really changed anything if the original rifle wasn't as easy to customize.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Glock doesn't sell slides. The new, complete OEM slides you see are from guns parted out by dealers. They have the serial numbers of complete guns on them. Glock replacement slides have an S prefix serial number and barrels have an L prefix.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    Stupid question, the P80 products are just copying from the glock designs, they have no official relations or collaborations with glocks themselves, correct? If that's the case, there is no one stopping P80 to imitate designs of any other polymer gun such as P320, M&P or Beretta APX.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    The thinking is P80 is only copying gen3 glock Products because their patent has expired. Not sure about the others you mentioned

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Stupid question, the P80 products are just copying from the glock designs, they have no official relations or collaborations with glocks themselves, correct? If that's the case, there is no one stopping P80 to imitate designs of any other polymer gun such as P320, M&P or Beretta APX.

There is a P320 80% out there.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The thinking is P80 is only copying gen3 glock Products because their patent has expired. Not sure about the others you mentioned

The patent at least on the grip of a Gen 4 is for the modular backstraps themselves. They should just not have those on the P80 since people tend to get those to have a Glock without a Glock grip.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If you get an OEM Glock slide and barrel, they both will typically have the same S/N on them.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Glock doesn't sell slides. The new, complete OEM slides you see are from guns parted out by dealers. They have the serial numbers of complete guns on them. Glock replacement slides have an S prefix serial number and barrels have an L prefix.
    Just for the hell of it, I asked Brownells about this in the QA section of that product.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If you get an OEM Glock slide and barrel, they both will typically have the same S/N on them.

If you sent a gun back to Glock for a new Austrian made slide and barrel, neither will have the same serial number. The slide will be S#### and the barrel will be L#### (maybe more digits now). The ones that have gun format serial numbers like BARF### are takeoffs.

Glock does freely sell barrels on their armorer's parts list. They do not sell stripped slide on there.

Just for the hell of it, I asked Brownells about this in the QA section of that product.

If it's an aftermarket slide, it won't be numbered.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Did you go to the link we are discussing?

Yeah, those are takeoff slides from complete guns. The serial number of the one pictured is BFEH671.

Also, their answer about it being able to fit a Gen 3 frame with the adapter is wrong. The front ring on the Gen 4 slide is larger than that on a Gen 3. It is possible to put a Gen 3 slide on a Gen 4 frame with the proper adapters. I've seen people Dremel out Gen 3 frames to fit Gen 4 slides though.

Glock8.jpg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If you can't beat'em, join'em. It's a sound business decision. I have seen Glock registered frames sell for as little as $30. If they are selling everything but the frame to people who probably wouldn't buy a Glock if they weren't doing an 80% they just opened up a whole new market. They also turn a bigger profit, since it is more expensive to buy a gun piecemeal, and they don't have to do any warranty work. Glock has to be loving it.
    I was thinking the same thing. (the part in bold) We see this over and over with ARs - people just LOVE to customize, even though in the hands of most there would be little discernible performance increase by going gung-ho on a custom build over a stock AR HBAR which could be purchased as a whole gun for a lot less.

I'd also venture to guess that most people who are building out 80% Glocks are doing so only after having already purchased at least one genuine Glock.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Yeah, those are takeoff slides from complete guns. The serial number of the one pictured is BFEH671.
    snip....
    Good, you're tracking now. The question I posed to Brownells was regarding the source of the factory slides. I am curious to see if they're willing to state they are parting out guns. They don't mention it in the ad.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Good, you're tracking now. The question I posed to Brownells was regarding the source of the factory slides. I am curious to see if they're willing to state they are parting out guns. They don't mention it in the ad.

They are probably selling "factory fresh frames" as well.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Several dealers on Gunbroker have been doing it for several years splitting complete 1911 pistols into upper and lower units for sale...because they do make a larger profit. Any new complete production firearm will cost noticeably less than a comparable new quality build...and that is before the cost of a factory grade finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom