• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I went to Lehigh Anthracite in Tamaqua PA. I borrowed a dump truck from work and got 3 tons for $165 a ton. Local here near me is $235 a ton. Big difference in price!

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    Thanks! He went today and got a ton from Federalsburg for $255. Ouch lol he was worried about running out with this cold snap we are getting. Looks like 4 hours for us to get to Lehigh Anthracite but its a better option then local for sure.

Stagstalker

Jan 15, 2017
    The cesspool of MD
    After reading this thread last year I decided to grab a cple 50# bags of Anthracite Nut Coal at the local Farmers and Planters store to try in my wood stove. At $6.50 a bag it kinda defeats the benefit of burning wood I cut n split myself, but if I had to buy wood I'd go back to oil or gas, it'd be cheaper and far less work, wood around here is going for $195 a cord. Anyways, some questioned {including myself} whether coal would burn well in a wood stove so im here to give my two cents as well and because I appreciated the incite this thread has brought. Iv got an older "Rite Heat" fire box by Riteway mfg , I feed it 26" logs with room to spare, best feature is the regulator opens n closes the fresh air damper pending the setting, fresh air comes in near the bottom. Coal def likes alot of air, dosent seem to burn near as hot as wood, likely from lacking proper air flow for coal, coal leaves a dense ash that further restricts the air. A wood stove that has an ash rake/lever built in might fair better. The plus side for me is not just supplementing my wood supply a little {was a busy year so im a cple cord shorter than usual} but because the coal burns longer, putting a cpl scoops in at nights end on top the wood grants me a few good hot coals into the morning to easily kick start a few logs, and again while im away for the day. Anyways, pray for spring!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I went to Lehigh Anthracite in Tamaqua PA. I borrowed a dump truck from work and got 3 tons for $165 a ton. Local here near me is $235 a ton. Big difference in price!

My cousin Dave owns an Anthracite mine right on 209 outside of Tamaqua.
    https://www.manta.com/c/mm6tqf0/tuscarora-coal-company but sells to others.

Reading has a big pit across the mountain NW of Tamaqua. about 18 miles or so the other side of Orwigsburg.
    They say there's enough coal in there to power the nation for 200 yrs. Jack Ritch owns that one. Mahanoy City for breaker

Blaschak has a breaker is just north of Pine grove and right off of 81 in Ravine exit 100 then pa72 north, turn right past the bowling alley.
    165 aint bad for anthracite It was that much 7-9 years ago. I used to buy from Blaschak in Ravine but you have to make sure the scales are open especially on a Saturday. All of them actually.

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Wanted to let someone know of a coal stove deal near Preston MD. Bill’s salvage sales in Preston has a Vermont casting cast iron coal stove for $49.99. It is damaged truck freight. I’m not sure what model but if someone’s interested I might be able to swing by and see. It looks like there is a broken piece of cast near the top above the doors( kinda like a lip that comes out over the doors). Also I believe the right door hinge is broken. I did not look it over good but can if someone is interested. Let me know and I can try to swing by and take some pictures. They are closed tomorrow.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    After reading this thread last year I decided to grab a cple 50# bags of Anthracite Nut Coal at the local Farmers and Planters store to try in my wood stove. At $6.50 a bag it kinda defeats the benefit of burning wood I cut n split myself, but if I had to buy wood I'd go back to oil or gas, it'd be cheaper and far less work, wood around here is going for $195 a cord. Anyways, some questioned {including myself} whether coal would burn well in a wood stove so im here to give my two cents as well and because I appreciated the incite this thread has brought. Iv got an older "Rite Heat" fire box by Riteway mfg , I feed it 26" logs with room to spare, best feature is the regulator opens n closes the fresh air damper pending the setting, fresh air comes in near the bottom. Coal def likes alot of air, dosent seem to burn near as hot as wood, likely from lacking proper air flow for coal, coal leaves a dense ash that further restricts the air. A wood stove that has an ash rake/lever built in might fair better. The plus side for me is not just supplementing my wood supply a little {was a busy year so im a cple cord shorter than usual} but because the coal burns longer, putting a cpl scoops in at nights end on top the wood grants me a few good hot coals into the morning to easily kick start a few logs, and again while im away for the day. Anyways, pray for spring!

Cannel coal is the choice for replacing wood in fireplaces and stoves. My dad got some form someplace and I remember it burned well.
    Here is the Wikipedia link:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannel_coal

And here is a government report that will tell you more than you want to know:
    https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/0659/report.pdf#page=36&zoom=auto,-174,131

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom