• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Has anyone here ever tried to make one of the .410 no.1 mk.3 enfields feed from a magazine? It looks like you can make an original magazine fit .410 shotshells after modifying the forward stiffening ribs. I've heard of people making saiga .410 mags work as well

I picked up a barreled receiver for one that was completely stripped for parts that I'm going to ream for modern shotshells and would like to make it feed from a mag.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    I imagine there's a reason the Indians never made them anything more than single shot and that's probably it. I haven't played with it much yet but we will see...

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Be aware that some of those used 3 prong firing pins and normal. 410 ammo won't work in them.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Be aware that some of those used 3 prong firing pins and normal. 410 ammo won't work in them.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have a bolt for it yet, but I'll keep an eye out when I'm scouting for one. I do know that this one is still in the original odd chambering but that's changing soon.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I read somewhere that the British didn't want to supply rifles to conscripted troops that were untrustworthy, would be used for riot control and intentionally limited the platform to single shot round ball or multi ball loads and filled the magazine well with a wood block. Somewhere I just seen one for sale. Ammo too now that I think about it. Charley Steele's in Lewes. I cant remember what MK the ammo was but it was round ball at the front of the case. Weapons of the British Empire and colonial strategy in India are not my strong points so don't take that as gospel.
    It would be a fun project if you could get it to work though. Reminds me of the Mauser/Remo conversions. I have some text describing the modifications for a 98 but nothing on an SMLE. Im going to go measure some cartridges shells and drink coffee. Maybe I have something on a 410 enfield Ill have to look.
    I would probably not alter a barrel if it had any semblance of life left in it though or at least until I made sure it wasn't anything to special.
    Oh! Im too slow its already in 41 sounds like fun and a good challenge.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    I read somewhere that the British didn't want to supply rifles to conscripted troops that were untrustworthy, would be used for riot control and intentionally limited the platform to single shot round ball or multi ball loads and filled the magazine well with a wood block. Somewhere I just seen one for sale. Ammo too now that I think about it. Charley Steele's in Lewes. I cant remember what MK the ammo was but it was round ball at the front of the case. Weapons of the British Empire and colonial strategy in India are not my strong points so don't take that as gospel.
    It would be a fun project if you could get it to work though. Reminds me of the Mauser/Remo conversions. I have some text describing the modifications for a 98 but nothing on an SMLE. Im going to go measure some cartridges shells and drink coffee. Maybe I have something on a 410 enfield Ill have to look.
    I would probably not alter a barrel if it had any semblance of life left in it though or at least until I made sure it wasn't anything to special.
    Oh! Im too slow its already in 41 sounds like fun and a good challenge.

Yep you've pretty well nailed it! This was my fallback project, originally I was going to convert a mosin to fire both 410 and 45 long colt. Without a real lathe it just would have been a bit more than I could take on at this point... maybe down the road I'll re barrel this one with a rifled barrel to do both

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Alot of conversions were done to avoid European licensing restrictions and there was a glut of those around in all sorts of configurations but there are some that are purpose built and may have prison markings Like WS on the wrist socket "Wormwood Scrubs" something of that sort would be collectable. If it was a UK built N04 I wouldn't worry about it if it was in rough shape and needed re barreled nothing like a good project but even they are climbing in value anymore.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    This one is just a run of the mill ishapore .410, its also rusty and was totally stripped for parts so I don't feel too bad about playing with it.

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    I converted one years ago by using a Savage .410 magazine inside of a surplus No. 1 magazine. A three shot . 410 magazine will fit into the Enfield magazine without any modification. I held the Savage magazine in the Enfield magazine with clay until I got the feed geometry right and then filled in around the clay with JB Weld to keep it in place. Try to find a .410 magazine for 2 1/2" shells since that is the chamber length for the Enfields. I only used it a few times but never had any problems with feeding. I quickly learned that it was too heavy to use for dove hunting although there was almost no recoil. Unfortunately I loaned it to my nephew fifteen years ago and have never seen it since.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    That's a shame you never got it back. Good idea with the smaller mag inside the shell of an original, I think I'll have to try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom