• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BobBelcher

Aug 20, 2017
    Hi all,
    I am currently researching a suppressed 300 blackout build (it will be my first build) and have a few questions. I am only a few weeks into my research and will probably spend another few months going over things before I start, but I think I am starting to narrow things down (general idea, not parts).

After searching the threads, I believe I am not limited in my barrel selection (HBAR) if I go with the 300blk vs a 5.56. Is that correct?

As of now I am currently thinking of two plans.

Plan A) Finish an 80% lower, get a 10.5" barrel, fabricate a 6" Al barrel shroud using emachineshop and have someone pin and weld it so the barrel is >16". Similar to what Mid State firearms does. From what I have read this would not be an SBR correct? The reason for the shroud is that I would like to add a suppressor (would need to do the paperwork), but don't want the length of a 16" + suppressor. Obviously I will need to figure out the suppressor before I make the shroud. (Any recommendations?). Also, I am guessing this would require the gas block to, in essence, be permeantly attached since it can't be removed once the shroud is on. Do you think that would be a problem? I have also read that the OAL needs to be >=29". Will this be an issue if the barrel length is effectively 16.5"?

Plan B) Do the NFA suppressor and SBR paperwork and buy a lower. My question with this is that I read you still need to have an OAL of 29". How long would a standard extendable stock and upper be? What is the shortest barrel I could use?

I know it is often recommended to just buy the complete upper for your first build, but part of the fun for me is doing the research, fine tuning the parts, and building as much of it as I can. That is one of the reasons I would like to try the 80%.

Are there any glaring issues with either plan A or plan B? Would these both be legal in MD?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
    Thanks
    Bob

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are two schools of thought about the .300 BO and HBAR.

MSP has stated (I am not sure in writing) that the AR ban only applies to 5.56 rifles.

OTOH, the AG letter states a copy is that any one part can be swapped between the banned rifle and the other one and still function. And the only difference between a 5.56 and .300 BP rifle is the barrel.

I built mine as SBR with can. Anderson stripped lower, and Anderson upper.

BobBelcher

Aug 20, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. Is there any issue with the overall length? I was reading on some of the threads that even though you turn in the NFA paperwork for an SBR, Maryland still requires a 29" OAL. Is that the case?

What can are you using? Would you recommend it? I am looking for the best value can (dB/$).

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Have you looked at doing an AR pistol vs SBR. The AR pistol will allow you to almost get SBR handling with out the pinning of a muzzle break or a suppressor to get to the OAL of 29 inches . The added benefit would allow you to take it out of state without having to get BATFE approval as it is not considered an NFA item. The can will have the same restrictions but that is a whole other issue. If you decide to go SBR you can file the paper work later on and it should not be a problem. I am not sure but I believe the OAL of a pistol setup is a maximum of 26" and has to be built on a lower that has not been deemed to be a rifle lower . AKA never had a rifle butt stock on it.

My advice would be to let someone more knowledgeable to give you answers as I could be wrong about some of the information.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Dump the shroud idea. It's just going to complicate things more than you need. You will not (should not) shoot your rifle with a barrel that ends inside the hand guard. They tend to blow up.

Don't worry about the Hbar. It isn't necessary.

Generally speaking, any 10.5" barrel with a standard carbine stock will put you just beyond 29"

Get an adjustable gas block (SLR pinned).

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    There are two schools of thought about the .300 BO and HBAR.

MSP has stated (I am not sure in writing) that the AR ban only applies to 5.56 rifles.

OTOH, the AG letter states a copy is that any one part can be swapped between the banned rifle and the other one and still function. And the only difference between a 5.56 and .300 BP rifle is the barrel.

I built mine as SBR with can. Anderson stripped lower, and Anderson upper.

Every other part in the non-hbar 300 (except flash hider) may also be used in the legal HBAR. That would allow the rest of the rifle to be legal. But it is a Maryland...

BobBelcher

Aug 20, 2017
    I was planning on having a short handgaurd that did not cover the shroud or end of the barrel, but I think for simplicity's sake I will start out with paying for the SBR and forego the shroud.

I had thought about the pistol, but wasn't sure how I would like the fixed stock and weird rules with that.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I was planning on having a short handgaurd that did not cover the shroud or end of the barrel, but I think for simplicity's sake I will start out with paying for the SBR and forego the shroud.

I had thought about the pistol, but wasn't sure how I would like the fixed stock and weird rules with that.

By building it as a pistol first, then submitting for SBR, you will get to play with it till you get your stamp back, then all you do is swap the buffer tub for a buffer tube with a stock. Your decision is if you want to legally play with it while you wait on your stamp to be approved.

BobBelcher

Aug 20, 2017
    I hadn't thought of that. That sounds like a good idea since I am sure it will take a while to get the paperwork back. Pistol it is!
    Thanks for all of the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom