• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    About John Carduner from a Customer.

Let me start this Customer Testamonial by saying earlier comments by MDS folks got me interested in the subject of this prose. I had been looking for a Gunsmith to do some work on a 1911 that was on its way to me back in July. I contacted Mr Carduner by eMail, but he is readily available by phone. The eMail method was my choice. In any case, I explained to him basically what I was looking for, and after a series of eMail exchanges, my 1911 finally arrived. Mr. Carduner suggested a Aug 6th meeting to discuss the details of the work. His approach was friendly and laid back, yet very professional and from his conversation, it was easy to determine he was extremely knowledgeable of the art and science of Gunsmithing, especially 1911. (I've been around Firearms and Firearms people for over 50 years)

I hasten to add there was no self bloveating about his outstanding workmanship, or how absolutely superb his work was, and/or how folks were beating down his door. We discussed the work at a leisurely pace, and after an hour, he had made a list of notes, and then made an estimate, which was well within my own thoughts on the matter. He took possession of the piece thru FREESTATE, and said he would be in touch after he made thorough exam of the piece THAT EVENING.(Aug 6). He called the next day, discussed a few items, and then gave me an estimate of work completion.(Aug23). He called me a few times to discuss progress. All was going well. Then on AUG 12, he called to inform he was about to do test firing, and if all went well, he suggested an Aug 14 meeting at FREESTATE. He confirmed the test firing, and confirmed the Aug 14 meet to finalize our business. We met, did our business, and I left with his final words about his Guarantee of work. I suggested I would like to run about 500 rounds thru the piece before any judgements made, he agreed.

This was no small list of work, I should add, including drill and tap for install of scope; trigger work; barrel and slide fitting, taking up grip safety slack, thumb safety work..along with little odds and ends that he felt would make the piece much better.

So, if you are looking for a Gunsmith, with a very high level of knowledge and experience, coupled with a very low key friendly approach, you can do no better then JOHN CARDUNER, who works out of FREESTATE Range. He and they are listed in IP section of the Forum. Finally, kudos to FREESTATE, always a busy place, but they handled the paperwork on the piece in a quick and friendly manner.
    A real 5Star rating all around.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

R:)

Last edited:

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Gun pics with a accuracy test target pic, if done, would be a nice touch to add. What kind of 1911s did he recommend starting with if I may ask?

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Since I presently have 3 1911s, there was no discussion about which 1911 to "start" with, The 1911 in question was purchased and on the way before our meeting.

Pix may be possible, and Mr. Carduner did provide targets of his test firing, with test groups with shots touching on the targets. For a better indication, I'm going to bench test fire at 25 and 50 yards. And then 500 rounds thru to see how it measures up.

R

SargeTMC

Army Retired (EOD)
    May 30, 2013
    Joppa, MD
    This is the test target that John sent me after he worked on my Kimber.

3 shot group at 8.5 yards using Ferderal 230 grain FMJ

Attachments

• WorkOrder FS2013027 (Target Pic).jpg
      WorkOrder FS2013027 (Target Pic).jpg
      52.1 KB · Views: 513

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Thanks John. I might give you a call soon. I have a 1911 hardball gun that ejects brass at about 150 degrees. I reload and have a brass catcher that is empty after shooting that gun. I understand that the gun can probably be tuned to eject closer to 90-100 degrees and still be 100% reliable by tuning the ejector and extractor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom