• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Can you use a drop down holster for IDPA?

Also, what do most on here prefer, Blade-tech or Comp-tac?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    see some idpa holster rules below, generally should be for concealed carry.

lots of folks use each brand, i prefer blade tech and their DOS (drop and offset) with sting ray belt loop. i remove the drop/offset piece for idpa.

8.5 Holsters
    8.5.1 Criteria of an IDPA Legal Holster / Holster Requirements:
    8.5.1.1 Must be suitable for concealed carry and all day continuous wear.
    8.5.1.2 Must be a strong side hip holster worn inside the waistband (IWB) or outside the waist band (OWB).
    8.5.1.3 Must be worn on an IDPA legal belt.
    8.5.1.4 Must prevent activation of the trigger while holstered.
    8.5.1.5 Must carry the firearm in a neutral (vertical) or muzzle rear cant.
    8.5.1.6 Adjustable cant holsters are legal if bolts must be removed and repositioned for cant adjustment. Inside the waistband (IWB) holsters are exempt from this rule.
    8.5.1.7 Must hold the firearm with enough tension to allow the wearer to complete normal daily tasks without fear of losing the firearm.
    8.5.1.8 Must be constructed of normal thickness common holster making materials (leather, Kydex, plastic, nylon, etc.).
    8.5.1.9 For male shooters, the holster must carry firearm so that the entire front strap (to the trigger guard) is at or above the top of the belt. IWB holsters are exempt from this rule.
    8.5.1.10 The shooter’s holster location must remain on the same side of the body throughout the entire course of a match.
    8.5.1.11 Must be positioned on the belt so that the center of the trigger pad is behind the centerline of the body.
    8.5.1.12 For IDPA purposes, the centerline of the body originates in the center of the armpit and goes straight down.
    8.5.1.13 All retention devices on the holster must be used.
    8.5.1.14 Retention devices may be permanently removed or permanently disabled, but not temporarily disabled for a match.
    8.5.1.15 The front edge of the holster may not be more than 1 ¾ inch/44.5mm below the breech face (autos) or 1 inch/25.4mm below the rear of the cylinder (revolvers).
    8.5.1.16 Holsters may be modified to meet IDPA rules.
    8.5.1.17 Holsters with screws or knobs that extend past the outer face of the holster are allowed if the adjustment screw(s) require a tool to change tension, the screws protrude less than 0.125” (3.2 mm) from the outer face of the holster, and they meet all other holster requirements. Additionally, all tension screws anywhere on a holster must require a tool for tension adjustment.
    8.5.1.18 For male shooters only, the holsters must fit the shooter’s body such that a ¾ inch/19.1mm diameter dowel placed between the shooter and the firearm anywhere above the belt contacts both the shooter and the firearm simultaneously.
    8.5.1.18.1 A holster may be legal for some shooters but not legal for other shooters due to different body shapes.
    8.5.1.18.2 A holster may be legal if worn snugly but illegal if sagging away from the body.
    8.5.1.18.3 For women shooters only, a dropped and offset (DOH) holster may be used. For the drop, the gun must be covered by the concealment garment. Holster cant rules apply.
    - 44 -
    8.5.1.18.4 For women shooters only, when viewed from the front, a women’s holster may not tilt out away from the body further than vertical, unless the shooter's body touches the grip of firearm.
    8.5.1.19 Not Permitted (Non-Inclusive list):
    8.5.1.19.1 Cross-draw carry
    8.5.1.19.2 Shoulder holsters
    8.5.1.19.3 Small of the back carry
    8.5.1.19.4 Appendix carry
    8.5.1.19.5 Pocket carr

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I skipped down to 8.5.1.18.3 to read the rest of way down .

Seem's the answer is No then ?

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I skipped down to 8.5.1.18.3 to read the rest of way down .

Seem's the answer is No then ?

I don't know.....I might feel like a women the day of competition. Where is the Ladies bathroom?

Thanks Davsco...I should have looked at the rule book first. Seems like Blade-Tech is a bit more popular with those I've asked than the Comp-Tac

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    also a local company, red hill tactical, out of hagerstown i believe, that seems to be pretty popular, and they shoot at and support some of the local matches, at least uspsa.

and yes, the answer looks to be "no" for the OP's question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom