• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    At a minimum, the DPSC should send a letter to all 158 people named in the PIA and let them know that they screwed up in violating 10-616 by releasing their information.

And too bad there isn't a civil or criminal penalties in the code for releasing this information in the state law.
    I looked to see if i could find any penalties and couldn't find anything. I will be reaching out to a pro 2a attorney Monday (who is a member here)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I looked to see if i could find any penalties and couldn't find anything. I will be reaching out to a pro 2a attorney Monday (who is a member here)

The securing of the PII was ok with the legislature back in 2013, but the civil and criminal penalties for violating the law was not. Might have been because at the time, it was a Democratic administration. I wonder what would happen if an amendment adding civil and criminal penalties was submitted this next session?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    At a minimum, the DPSC should send a letter to all 158 people named in the PIA and let them know that they screwed up in violating 10-616 by releasing their information.

That should be DPSCS's first step, now they have been notified of their error. We should give them a little time to do the right thing, and to see if they will.

Step 2 should be to identify if DPSCS has sent that pdf in response to any other PIA requests. Departments tend to recycle responses and use them to fullfill multiple PIA requests as long as the info is current. If so, they need to identify the pia requestor to the pernit holders named.

3. They should determine if they have made this mistake at any time in the past, and to whom the info was sent.

4. They should determine that this information breech constitutes a g&s, and issue unrestricted permits to all the named applicants that can legally possess a handgun.

ALL of this should be accomplished with a huge dose of transparency. No back room meetings and secret assurances that it's "being handled" and "wont happen again". We all know that those promises are meaningless once the meeting is over. M@$)'s case proved that. If this happened under a governor Brown, we would be sharpening pitchforks.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Is now a good time to apply given the stats? I own my business as well as my parents owning one ... cash involved! cheapest place for class?
    I have not read an HPRB thread this year and have less stress because of this.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The securing of the PII was ok with the legislature back in 2013, but the civil and criminal penalties for violating the law was not. Might have been because at the time, it was a Democratic administration. I wonder what would happen if an amendment adding civil and criminal penalties was submitted this next session?

My Magic 8-Ball says "Har Har Hardy Har Har Har!

mjester93

Mar 28, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    So I just received the following e-mail from DPSC:

On July 11, 2017, the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services provided you with a document containing the names of applicants, and the outcomes of their hearings. This disclosure was made in error.

Please immediately delete any and all copies of the erroneously provided document, and refrain from disclosing or in any way publishing the information. Further disclosure of the erroneously provided document could implicate the privacy concerns of the individuals named therein.

Please confirm that you intend to comply with this request.

Thank you,

Looks like someone told them of their mistake.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So I just received the following e-mail from DPSC:

Looks like someone told them of their mistake.

So it took them 8 days to figure this out, after being told about it almost immediately???

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I will conform to their requests, however, the summary of statistics will still be up.

If you send an email stating "i will conform", they will consider the matter dead. And the privacy breech capped.

You need to make them aware, that due their error in releasing information, that when you posted the file online it was accessed by potentially hundreds of people before you were notified by a private citizen that the information was considered sensitive.

You need to make sure that information is in the record before they finish their cover-up and sweep it under the rug.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There are versions of search engines that PERMANENTLY record EVERYTHING that is EVER posted on the internet. DPSC can't have the file "unseen" by the watchers. Once its out there, its out there FOR GOOD.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

And too bad there isn't a civil or criminal penalties in the code for releasing this information in the state law.

There has to be some sort of penalty for breaking that specific law, right? How did they create a law and not a way to enforce it?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There has to be some sort of penalty for breaking that specific law, right? How did they create a law and not a way to enforce it?

A penalty was suggested when the amendment was made, but never made it into the verbiage of the actual amendment that was brought and approved. Many such laws that the State of Maryland is supposed to follow, have absolutely no penalty if the State fails to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom