Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 16th, 2020, 07:54 PM #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
What is your intent with an AR pistol? My research suggested that for a .223/5.56 round you want to be 11.5" or longer for better accuracy at distance (if you care about distance). Then you also have to worry about the noise from the pistol. Apparently they are a good amount more obnoxious than a rifle length. I ended up going with a .300 pistol because they maintain accuracy better in a shorter barrel and they are more conducive to being suppressed with subsonic ammo.

If you are just buying it for fun and shooting at 50 to 100 yards, you probably won't care about accuracy in a .223 and apparently they make blast diverters to push sound forward instead of sideways. If you're buying for home defense and concerned about blowing your eardrums out after the first shot, perhaps a suppressed .300 is a better option. 9mm is also a good option for shorter range AR pistols, but I'm fairly certain they aren't interchangeable like the AR15 platform is.

My suggestion is to buy a striped lower and build it yourself. It isn't very difficult to do and you learn more about how your gun works if you assembled it. PSA sells a kit with the SBA3 brace and their EPT trigger for about $200, I'm sure it will go on sale when demand eventually backs down. Then you have a completed lower and can either assemble your own upper or buy a completed upper. Its really not that hard and I found it to be pretty fun to do. Good luck!

*****The above is very good advice. If you will be using an un-supressed AR pistol as a home defense option it is obnoxiously loud even with the blast divertor IME. It is very likely you will suffer serious hearing damage unless you are wearing protection. I was at an indoor range and even with sound suppressing matting on the walls it was still really really loud. The distances involved in a HD situation are usually markedly low so accuracy is perhaps not that big of an issue, but shooting something that loud indoors will almost surely cause you serious discomfort, not to mention any family members or other friendlies in the home. Subsonic suppressed is a much bigger investment ($$$), but .300 lends itself well for the application of HD vs 5.56 in such a short firearm using a rifle round.

You might wish to consider a 9mm option as it is much easier to land follow up shots and it is very noticeably quieter in an AR pistol configuration, but as noted above there are far fewer options available and as far as I have seen it limits some other options down the road if you decide to change up the configuration.

Perhaps you can try one with pistol and one with a rifle cartridge out at the range and see if it is a good option for you. I was amazed how loud such a short firearm in the rifle cartridge configuration was. No way I would use it for HD due to this but they are a lot of fun out on the range to perhaps 100 yards. At least for me, the sight radius is too short for much further out.
MaxVO2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 07:59 PM #72
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

It cracks me up that people spend $200+ on a brace but won’t spend $200 on a stamp.
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 08:06 PM #73
2A Preacher

2A Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by IX-3 View Post
Neither. They measure using the buffer tube. Take the brace off and measure from the end of the barrel (or pinned and welded muzzle device) to the end of the buffer tube.

https://obsidianconcepts.blog/2019/0...-an-ar-pistol/

Thanks! I always wondered that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigmancrisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 08:13 PM #74
Goggle it Einstein

Goggle it Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
It cracks me up that people spend $200+ on a brace but won’t spend $200 on a stamp.
I can agree to a point. You still save a little on a brace(SbA3-4), but being an HQL holdout(and multi stamp owner), I understand the disdain of being finger printed for something that should be a right gaurunteed by the Constitution.
I personally don't find discomfort in having a brace 'tail' resting on my clavicle and my cheek firmly planted on the buffer tube. There are better situations, I know, but all in all, a livable compromise.
Old September 16th, 2020, 08:17 PM #75
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
I can agree to a point. You still save a little on a brace(SbA3-4), but being an HQL holdout(and multi stamp owner), I understand the disdain of being finger printed for something that should be a right gaurunteed by the Constitution.
I personally don't find discomfort in having a brace 'tail' resting on my clavicle and my cheek firmly planted on the buffer tube. There are better situations, I know, but all in all, a livable compromise.
What happens when the ATF reverses their reversal on shouldering pistol braces?
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 08:21 PM #76

I couldn't see your choice for home defense, I have a maverick 88 18.5 barrel, it works every time, and will leave any person Wishing they had chosen any other home. I have a Glock 9mm as backup. Hope this helps.
TangoSierra27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 08:25 PM #77
Goggle it Einstein

Goggle it Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
What happens when the ATF reverses their reversal on shouldering pistol braces?
I actully don't shoulder mine, per se. I stick to their opinion that "...it may come in contact with the shoulder in firing". You will never see me, and I have warned many people against, shouldering a brace on or in any forum.

By-the-By, I have never seen a provision allowing a "cheek weld" on any pistol granted by the BATF. I don't know where that idea ever came from.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot