• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've been trying to find bullets to reload for M1 Carbine. I've run across a few different .307" diameter bullets. Both a 110gr Remington SP and PPU 110gr SP. Would these work for an M1 Carbine? I'd think being .001" under sized would work, but not be desirable. Were these made for something odd caliber (I know the actual .307 uses a .308 caliber bullet like the Remington .308 does, but something else?).

Or would it actually likely be fine? I see on Graf's website for the .307" SP PPU several people mention working great out of their M1 Carbines.

Not something I'd get 1k+ of, but since I've got ZERO bullets for reloading M1 Carbine and I've got the dies (need powder too...but that seems, for now, easier to find). But I also don't want to drop some money on 300-500 bullets and find out they are trash.

Thanks.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Those are awfully light rounds in the first place. You'd probably have to crimp to avoid the round falling out. I'd also worry about accuracy with the bullet not filling the barrel.

In short, I'd get the right projectile.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I've been trying to find bullets to reload for M1 Carbine. I've run across a few different .307" diameter bullets. Both a 110gr Remington SP and PPU 110gr SP. Would these work for an M1 Carbine? I'd think being .001" under sized would work, but not be desirable. Were these made for something odd caliber (I know the actual .307 uses a .308 caliber bullet like the Remington .308 does, but something else?).

Or would it actually likely be fine? I see on Graf's website for the .307" SP PPU several people mention working great out of their M1 Carbines.

Not something I'd get 1k+ of, but since I've got ZERO bullets for reloading M1 Carbine and I've got the dies (need powder too...but that seems, for now, easier to find). But I also don't want to drop some money on 300-500 bullets and find out they are trash.

Thanks.

Mid south has some Horny 110 SP's up. I've never seen .307's in a M1 Carbine. Also, just FYI Grafs is very far behind on orders. I ordered something Aug 20th, no shipping confirmation yet. YMMV

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    Those are awfully light rounds in the first place.

The factory weight for M1 Carbine is 110 grains. Midway doesn't list any .307 bullets. I suspect a typo. If they are round nose SP, I can't imagine Remington and PPU making one diameter to load in their factory ammo and a different diameter for reloaders.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Are you sure you need 307 bullets to start with? My understanding is that 307 bores were only present in early M1 carbines.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    The factory weight for M1 Carbine is 110 grains. Midway doesn't list any .307 bullets. I suspect a typo. If they are round nose SP, I can't imagine Remington and PPU making one diameter to load in their factory ammo and a different diameter for reloaders.
    I misread. I was thinking M1 rifle, my apologies.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/20271

Also

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/29104

Lastly

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/prvi-307-30-cal-110-gr-sprn-100/

That's just the PPU ones. But the bags are clearly labeled .307" diameter. Reviews are good on Graf's. I have good success with PPU factory loaded ammo in my M1 Carbine. Its the most accurate stuff I've shot out of it. I guess the point is on the nose of "why would they make one diameter bullet for reloading and one in their loaded ammo?"

So I am probably reasonably safe picking some up

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    I did not mean to imply that you made the typo. I have had good results with PPU factory ammo in Garand and Schmidt-Rubin. I think their bullets would be fine.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Some PPU bullets are slightly undersized as the listings show. E.g. their .243's are .242. And they make 6.5 in .263 (undersized) and .264.

https://www.grafs.com/dealer/catalog/category/categoryId/914?
    https://www.grafs.com/dealer/catalog/product/productId/12607
    https://www.grafs.com/dealer/catalog/product/productId/3

Don't get me wrong. I shoot a lot of PPU bullets in various calibers. They are generally nice bullets and very accurate in the right load and gun. .307/110's will shoot fine in your M1 carbine. However, accuracy will likely be reduced - especially with a less than brand new barrel. Personally, I'd find .308 JB's or .309 CB's to feed an M1 carbine. They shoot well in mine. YMMV.

Good luck.

:thumbsup:

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I would wonder if .307 plated bullets would work considering that the lead in a plated bullet is pretty soft. I would bet that they would obturate, food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom