Old February 8th, 2021, 04:49 PM #11

I'll take the opposite position . For both new- new , and new to you a baseline of clean and suitably lubricated is always a good thing . Too often new-new will have metal shavings , and OEM lubrication is biased to preservative if it sat the the warehouse for years before selling . New to you can have crud and congealed lubricant .

Ideally , detail disassembly is best , but only for those knowledgeable and competent . But don't dispare , the Plan B is almost as good , and very simple .

( Note - This is a Two Step process )

Remove grips .

Use a spray Solvent/ cleaner , automotive brake cleaner is fine , or a plethora of gun branded equivalents for 3x the price.

Cock the hammer , spray liberally into the internals thru the gap between cocked hammer and frame. Cycle action several times . Repeat until solvent drips out clean . Let dry.

Then lubricate with ( lubricant of your choice and preference ) .

A short spray , or several drops of liquid into same place you just sprayed for the internals . Cycle action buncha times to spread . Then lubricate external places as usual .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2021, 12:40 PM #12

Biggfoot44, Just got delivery of my revolver and the suggestion you made (Plan B) is exactly how I treated my other firearms. I'll give it a good cleaning and inspection. If I can find ammo I'll be off to the range to test it out. Excited about my first revolver.
Thanks to all, Butch
Butchb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2021, 11:25 PM #13

Only revolver I own I took the side plate off, ran some CLP degreaser through it and lived it up.

That said the revolver was only new to me. It was built in 1927 and was reblued somewhere a few decades ago. Pretty sure it hadnít been opened since then. Great shape, a bit gunky. A new one though, follow basically what everyone else said. Check and run a patch through the barrel and each chamber to make sure it is clean and grease free. Drop of oil on the ejector rod to be safe there. Then go shoot it.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing