• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have to take my wife to Bayview Medical Center tomorrow morning.

From Eldersburg, I can go around the Beltway either way. Google seems to think I'll do better by the southern route, and through one of the tunnels.

If I go that way, how will the construction on 895 affect me? Do both tunnels feed into the same construction zone, or does one tunnel avoid the mess?

Would I do better going around the north side?

We have to be there by about 9:30.

The entire east side region, from Luskin's Hill (Cromwell Bridge Road) around to the tunnels is terra incognita/Unknown Territory/Here There Be Monsters to me.

JMR1121

Oct 3, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Coming from Eldersburg you may be ok. However I would still take 95 to be on the safe side. Bayview medical is only a mile down from the exit off of 95.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So if I go through the Fort McHenry Tunnel, and proceed up whatever that road is, 95? and get off at O'Donnel, I avoid the construction?
    Why does Google keep trying to send me through the Harbor Tunnel? Doesn't that feed right into the construction, where 895 bottlenecks down to a single lane? Could it be that Google is not my friend?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    So if I go through the Fort McHenry Tunnel, and proceed up whatever that road is, 95? and get off at O'Donnel, I avoid the construction?
    Why does Google keep trying to send me through the Harbor Tunnel? Doesn't that feed right into the construction, where 895 bottlenecks down to a single lane? Could it be that Google is not my friend?

I would take 95 (Fort McHenry Tunnel) to O'Donnell. You don't want any part of 895 if you can avoid it.

You're going to eat it coming down the west side of the beltway at that time of day, and probably again coming north on 95 until you clear the tunnel. That said, coming south from the top side of the beltway won't be much better. I'd opt for the former, unless you're working with some fancy app that will give you live-ish traffic data and ETA on given routes.

Good luck.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Do you have google maps on your phone?

If so, use it when you leave to determine the fastest route there based on the traffic conditions at that time... and watch for changing conditions while you go.

I used to be able (a few years ago) to do better than google maps' routing algorithm by taking shortcuts or alternate routes. Not anymore. They have it down pretty good... unless something happens to dramatically change traffic flow while you are on the way (multilane accident ahead of you, for example), their arrival times are usually accurate to the minute.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

If you're using it now, google is using current traffic conditions, which will be much different than tomorrow morning.

If you're on a desktop you can try selecting the departure time to guestimate conditions for tomorrow morning, but that will be based on average traffic for that time & day of the week.

IMO best option is to check when you leave.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I would take 95 to O'Donnell. You don't want any part of 895 if you can avoid it.

That's what I thought.

So what is Google up to? I keep hearing radio announcements to avoid 895, but Google keeps pushing it as the best route, even though it's 1 1/2 miles further for the same elapsed time... Could Google be... evil?

Anyway, I think I'll either go through the Fort McHenry Tunnel, or just go around the north side, depending on how it looks in the morning.

Thanks for the responses. Everything between Cromwell Bridge Road and the Tunnels is Mysterious Unknown Territory to me.

Meanwhile, it looks like 895 is going to be a mess for at least three years, so there should probably be a thread about it.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    That's what I thought.

So what is Google up to? I keep hearing radio announcements to avoid 895, but Google keeps pushing it as the best route, even though it's 1 1/2 miles further for the same elapsed time... Could Google be... evil?

Anyway, I think I'll either go through the Fort McHenry Tunnel, or just go around the north side, depending on how it looks in the morning.

Thanks for the responses. Everything between Cromwell Bridge Road and the Tunnels is Mysterious Unknown Territory to me.

Meanwhile, it looks like 895 is going to be a mess for at least three years, so there should probably be a thread about it.

The top side should be clear sailing from Providence to 95, but 95 will be bad from your point of entry to O'Donnell. My guess is that the longer stretch of 95 traffic would be worse than coming down the west side of the beltway, but one fender bender will screw the pooch.

As someone else posted, I'd check the Google Maps before you leave, knowing that 895 isn't an option.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not sure why Google would send you through the 895 tunnel when you have to pass 95 to get to 895. Unfortunately you are going to be hosed no matter what at that time of day.

Solman

Oct 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I commute this way to work every day but I’m there by 7am daily so I don’t really know the kind of commute time your looking at. IMHO there really is no best way. I agree with others that said to check before you go. 695 south to 95 is prob the best way but it will really slow around the city. I work north of Bayview and I see all the traffic going south on 95 toward the city. I wouldn’t even think about taking the beltway north from your house. Keep to the left going by the city to avoid everyone getting off 395. I often use Waze to make sure there are no accidents. I’d def stay off 895. Good luck

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    the reason google will route you 895 is because a lot of people are avoiding it blindly. once you get on 895 there is 1 lane. then the 97 NB traffic merges, then the traffic is merging through the toll booth. pick the right most toll booth (ez pass is lane 3 i think, lane 1 for cash) and then merge to one lane. i also think 895 is easier on the north side of the tunnel getting to bayview. but i would listen to traffic and see what hte gps says, cuz an accident can change your fastest route by quite a bit. i would just leave by 8 and enjoy the "fun"

i go the opposite direction in the AM, and depending on time of day i'll use either tunnel, but its long before 9 am. honestly it'll probably be a wash. for NB when you are stopped in traffic, you aren't in the tunnel if you go 895 for what its worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom