• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    The Virginia State Police are way, way behind on entering CHP holder information into the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN).

What that means is that if you are stopped by law enforcement, who for some reason doesn't trust the validity of your CHP, and the officer queries VCIN, he might be told incorrectly that your permit doesn't exist (if new) or has expired!

Supposedly the VCIN system puts up a message warning officer's that it's data is not to be blindly trusted, but I'm hearing some officers are doing so anyway and there have been arrests. If the VCIN information isn't 100% accurate, why are the State Police even providing it? That's a recipe for disaster.

IF YOU HAVE BEEN **FALSELY** ARRESTED FOR AN INVALID OR EXPIRED CHP, OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS, VCDL NEEDS THE DETAILS!

We need to get to the bottom of this situation. Like I said, publishing incorrect information on VCIN is worse than not publishing any information at all.

Please spread this message on any chat groups where Virginia gun owners are likely to see it.

They can contact me, Philip Van Cleave, at president@vcdl.org or by calling 804-639-0600.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    So this has piqued my curiosity. Why would they (VSP) be checking on your carry permit? If it isn't in the system, they would have no need to look if you're pulled over, and we don't have a duty to inform here. Either way, this is obnoxious and probably has to do with the current idiot in the governor's mansion.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    If you present a permit that isn't in the system (for whatever reason) he may suspect it's counterfeit.

I haven’t received my new permit yet but I will say the one in my pocket now looks like a four year old made it and would not be hard to counterfeit

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The new ones look like a DL now.

Maybe they got tired of being laughed at although resident permits issued by the courts are just a piece of paper last time I looked

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    The new ones look like a DL now.

Maybe they got tired of being laughed at although resident permits issued by the courts are just a piece of paper last time I looked

My old one was a flimsy piece of paper. The new ones are more like drivers licenses.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    So this has piqued my curiosity. Why would they (VSP) be checking on your carry permit? If it isn't in the system, they would have no need to look if you're pulled over, and we don't have a duty to inform here. Either way, this is obnoxious and probably has to do with the current idiot in the governor's mansion.

It's not typically the VSP that would be doing the checking (unless it's a traffic stop) -- it's the local LEO who discovers that you are carrying concealed and asks to see your permit, only to perhaps get erroneous information from the system that's being fed by VSP (who is way way behind at updating the system). In VA, your CHP status comes up during a traffic stop when they run your DL and that might cause them to ask to see it.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    I don't think your DL info is linked if you have an out of state permit, which most MDS members have.

I'm not sure that's correct. Didn't Virginia republicans try to change the law to forbid VSP from providing CHP data to other states, an effort that failed? I remember a recent MD case where someone traveling from Florida (I think) was stopped on the Harbor Tunnel road because the MD Toll Police ran his plate and saw that he had a Florida concealed carry permit? Seems to me that when 'they' run your plate they can also get the registered owner's DL information which, in the case of VA DLs, indicates the CHP?

If a MD resident has a non-resident VA CHP, do we know for certain that that data is not provided back to MD?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD does not participate in NLETS, so a CCW query won't reveal the license info.

But I don't know if there are other DL links to permit info

FL does participate so perhaps a query from MD -> FL might work.

Attachments

• NLETS.jpg
      NLETS.jpg
      57.4 KB · Views: 520
    • NLETS-2.JPG
      NLETS-2.JPG
      97 KB · Views: 494

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    MD does not participate in NLETS, so a CCW query won't reveal the license info.

But I don't know if there are other DL links to permit info

FL does participate so perhaps a query from MD -> FL might work.

Delaware participates in NLETS, and you can verify the CCDW status. The map is inaccurate, at least for DE.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Luckily, UT Permits have a 24/7/365 toll free number for verification.

Virginia is trying very hard to drive away customers . First 6 month delays , now cards issued without completing their administrative process .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Delaware participates in NLETS, and you can verify the CCDW status. The map is inaccurate, at least for DE.

A state can participate in NLETS and not do CCW queries. The map I listed just shows CCW query participation. I will admit the map is a bit oid. But the newer graphic also says they don't participate in CCW queries.

But irrelevant given the topic of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom