• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I thought sheet lead was pure lead.

Sheet lead is not pure. Most of the time it has a small amount of tin in it, which isn’t always a bad thing. Some people like that small amount of tin, as they say it helps fill out the mold, others like my find no advantage in it. But like JOHN found out, sometimes other stuff could be in the mix. I had the same experience years ago when I would get lead from the scrap yards. I came across sheet lead, that I thought was soft, but when cast into bullets were to hard for my muzzleloaders.

SoMDSlugger

Jul 20, 2018
    I've got about 2500 pounds here in ingots and raw sheet if you're still looking. I've been giving the stuff away because I can't cast that much no matter how hard I try.

SoMDSlugger

Jul 20, 2018
    I always thought so but, the last batch I got was not. Mind you, it is soft, just not pure lead soft. :D

Sheet Lead / Roofers Lead is laminated with Tin. I've been telling guys this for years but they think I'm the nut... WW is more pure than they dream it is as well, but, you can tell the kids a damned thing if the other 50 kids are blind to the facts too. Sheet Lead is laminated to give it some "backbone". The thicker sheets of 1/4" and more do not need the laminate because it is poured with a Tin mix to make it rigid. The thinner stuff down to 1/64 is all Laminated. Any Roofer who actually knows what they are doing will tell that sheet Lead must be installed Tin side up and it does have a polarity. The Tin is to help make it rigid, but, also more weather protective so the Lead doesn't oxidize. Depending on the installation if it is interior or exterior. Roofers Lead on the exterior has to be sealed of course. With all that said... Sheet Lead has never been "pure". I have about 3500 pounds currently that I cast bullets out of... I know how I...it's made... trust me on this one LOL

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Sheet Lead / Roofers Lead is laminated with Tin. I've been telling guys this for years but they think I'm the nut... WW is more pure than they dream it is as well, but, you can tell the kids a damned thing if the other 50 kids are blind to the facts too. Sheet Lead is laminated to give it some "backbone". The thicker sheets of 1/4" and more do not need the laminate because it is poured with a Tin mix to make it rigid. The thinner stuff down to 1/64 is all Laminated. Any Roofer who actually knows what they are doing will tell that sheet Lead must be installed Tin side up and it does have a polarity. The Tin is to help make it rigid, but, also more weather protective so the Lead doesn't oxidize. Depending on the installation if it is interior or exterior. Roofers Lead on the exterior has to be sealed of course. With all that said... Sheet Lead has never been "pure". I have about 3500 pounds currently that I cast bullets out of... I know how I...it's made... trust me on this one LOL
    Thanks for that explanation! Any idea what the ratio comes out to?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SoMDSlugger

Jul 20, 2018
    At the end of the day there might be 10% per pound at best. I cast a lot of bullets with this stuff and I certainly prefer the mix "as is" when I cut it in to ingots. My main use is 12 and 20 gauge slugs and M/L bullets. I like the mix mainly soft for these uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom