• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • george g.

Jan 11, 2009
    Edgemere
    I need a new inline and have decided between a cva wolf or traditions buckstalker. Which one is the better of the 2?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Get a T/C Contender or Encore with a BP barrel then you can change barrels and use it for other things when not BP hunting.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I had good accuracy with my CVA wolf. So did my Dad.
    Both of us started with 2 white hots and a 250gr smackdown sabot
    traditions and TC sabots are pretty much the same.
    I switched to BH209 w/ the BH plug CVA sells.
    Within 150 yards, it was darn accurate. Its not a long barrel and its light with a decent trigger for the price.
    I still have it and last year did not use cause I could not go out during ML. I did take to range and did not have to touch the zero (used the scope that came with it).
    I consider it a good bang for the buck inline. Ignore the vids you see with power belts if you are looking to shoot more than 50 yards, My dad and I never got any accuracy out of them.

Rus

MDS Supporter
    Nov 27, 2017
    No. Carroll County
    Handle them both, that will tell you about the balance and fit. Operationally, I would say Wolf. Use Blackhorn 209 for powder, buy a few different bullets in the 240ish range to see which the rifle likes, and have fun !

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I had good accuracy with my CVA wolf. So did my Dad.
    Both of us started with 2 white hots and a 250gr smackdown sabot
    traditions and TC sabots are pretty much the same.
    I switched to BH209 w/ the BH plug CVA sells.
    Within 150 yards, it was darn accurate. Its not a long barrel and its light with a decent trigger for the price.
    I still have it and last year did not use cause I could not go out during ML. I did take to range and did not have to touch the zero (used the scope that came with it).
    I consider it a good bang for the buck inline. Ignore the vids you see with power belts if you are looking to shoot more than 50 yards, My dad and I never got any accuracy out of them.

I am late to the party, but I own a wolf. A great ML for around here. Go SS for the few bucks more. I used a ghost ring rear sight on it for years with good accuracy. I finally slapped a 1-4x scope on it for the late season after I had to hold off on a couple of shots in the early season I just couldn’t be confident enough in because of the lighting and distance with the fiber sights.

Only sighted it, but on a rather windy day (like 20mph gusts) I managed 2.5” groups at 100yds with it being almost all horizontal stringing using 240gr .44 mag XTP, harvester ribbed sabots and 100gr of FFFg 777 powder. I bought a lot of all of that awhile back. Once I work through it I plan to switch to blackhorn and 265gr FTX. More expense, but I like the much less cleaning needed, less susceptible to moisture and the harder hitting of the 265gr (and much high BC for flatter shooting).

The 240gr have been devestating on the two deer I’ve dropped with it.

The Wolf has a very nice trigger. My only complaint is it is so light it’s pretty punishing if you use irons. You are talking .30-06 levels of recoil or higher (BP and most substitutes aren’t as efficient as smokeless, so higher recoil for sake imparted energy to the projectile), but in a 6.5lb rifle. Throw a scope on it adds a bit of weight to dampen things a tad.

For most of Maryland I would not want one of the longer barreled muzzleloaders. Where I hunt in the woods I don’t need the extra 50-100fps of one of the 28+ inch MLs and I don’t need the weight of a longer one or getting hung up on stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom