Ok IP's - Who Has a Deal on a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You are correct sir - more money than an AR, and some say not as accurate or modular. I understand all of this but still want one :)

Dad got one on a steal a few years ago. Like new with a Leupold scope for 500. I'd like one too, like you I know it's not as modular blah blah but I still like them

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here's another thing to think about; if you want a decent M1 Carbine, you will pay as much and probably more than a Ruger Mini-14. And the 30 Carbine caliber is not as capable as 5.56 NATO.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I've never heard a mini-14 owner say anything negative about their rifle.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    You are correct sir - more money than an AR, and some say not as accurate or modular. I understand all of this but still want one :)
    [EDIT - more money than certain AR's]

Same here. There are quite a few other guns I would like to buy before getting one, but if I was handed a couple million dollars I would buy one with a wooden stock. I just want one. Not sure if the accuracy is so bad anymore but they definitely are less modular.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    There are barely used ones on GunBroker for around $500 or so. Worth considering.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Though I am loathe to play the bidding war game...$825, plus sales tax, would have to be ordered, takes a week or less usually.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I will also consider any used Mini-14's as well, the tactical threaded barrel, stainless or blue, is a second choice to the one in the OP. That being said - I for one am happy with the offers I am seeing.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Love my new Mini 14. I have the tactical version, and love it!

-They are not as accurate as an AR, confirmed.
    -The rear sight is "klugy" at best, but you can get Tech Sites for them!!!!!
    -The Tapco mags work great!!!!

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    A mini-14 can land all rounds in an 8" circle at 100 yds with iron sights offhand. An AR can do 4" under the same conditions.

In either case, they are accurate enough for a 10" steel gong, or other similarly sized targets.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    A mini-14 can land all rounds in an 8" circle at 100 yds with iron sights offhand. An AR can do 4" under the same conditions.

In either case, they are accurate enough for a 10" steel gong, or other similarly sized targets.

I think there's a belief amongst some that every rifle is capable of 1 moa and everything less is a failure. I don't hold to that theory but I've seen a lot of rifles called inaccurate when they couldn't meet wildly unrealistic standards.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    I got my Mini-14 about 10 years ago, used, for $500 bucks. It was well worth it. Shoots great, but has one really odd characteristic. It throws the ejected brass about 20 feet back and to my left. Consistently.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom