• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I need the 200 amp service cable replaced at one of my rental properties. Located in Middle River MD. Total run is about 30 feet. Will need new service head at peak of roof line.

Reason for replacement: outer sheath has split and it's freaking out the tenant.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Just FYI if it has a smart meter and the electrician tries to do it hot without involving BGE the meter will rat you out and theyll show up in the middle of the day and take your cable. Ask me how I know...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Just FYI if it has a smart meter and the electrician tries to do it hot without involving BGE the meter will rat you out and theyll show up in the middle of the day and take your cable. Ask me how I know...

Thanks. But I'm just looking for someone to hang the cable. I will call BGE to do the hookups.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Self sealing electrical tape works as well. Been there, (paid someone to) done that.

Being a rental property and having been officially notified, I really have to do what's right. If something were to happen, my insurance wouldn't cover it because of negligence.

If it were my house, I'd wrap in a 2 layers of rubber tape and a layer of sealing plastic tape and be done with it.

My usual guy I go to, is down with a really bad back problem and he won't be working for the foreseeable future.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I need the 200 amp service cable replaced at one of my rental properties. Located in Middle River MD. Total run is about 30 feet. Will need new service head at peak of roof line.

Reason for replacement: outer sheath has split and it's freaking out the tenant.

I guess there’s no sense explaining to them that there are still no exposed wires carrying electricity.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

You need some BGE friends to come over and call in a meter going offline for a few.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I guess there’s no sense explaining to them that there are still no exposed wires carrying electricity.........

Yes I did. I told them exactly that. But they see it as a fire just waiting to start.

The cable actually has 2 sheaths BEFORE you get to the conductors. It's only the outside sheath that has split.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Yes I did. I told them exactly that. But they see it as a fire just waiting to start.

The cable actually has 2 sheaths BEFORE you get to the conductors. It's only the outside sheath that has split.

Yep. Some people refuse to listen to logic and facts.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I recommended Mattingly Electric in Havre de Grace in another thread. He did some work at my grandparents in Bel Air when we sold it.

Interestingly enough the new homeowners complained about a split cover on a service entrance cable. He looked at it and wrote me a letter declaring it safe for use so the house sale would proceed. He told me it wasnt an issue but could understand why people would question it, he didnt just pencil whip a letter for cash.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I recommended Mattingly Electric in Havre de Grace in another thread. He did some work at my grandparents in Bel Air when we sold it.

Interestingly enough the new homeowners complained about a split cover on a service entrance cable. He looked at it and wrote me a letter declaring it safe for use so the house sale would proceed. He told me it wasnt an issue but could understand why people would question it, he didnt just pencil whip a letter for cash.

I'll give them a call, but the house is in Middle River. Not sure it would be cost effective for them to travel down there just for a service cable install.

Thanks!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'll give them a call, but the house is in Middle River. Not sure it would be cost effective for them to travel down there just for a service cable install.

Thanks!

He told me (several years ago) that he'd travel some. Middle River isn't too far, 45 minutes or so I'd say from there.

Wish I remembered his name or the user who recommended him to me on here.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    You can also try Magothy Electric. They are in AA County but they traveled to me in the City (Canton). Middle River isn’t that much further. Great company, quality work, very professional and fair pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom