• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dogboy

IDPA RSO / NRA RSO
    Oct 22, 2007
    Patuxent River
    U ever handle one? I thought my benchmade bone collector was a thick and heavy knife to carry for its size until I picked up an adamas. The thing feels like it's a mile thick and made of lead. It's tough for sure, but not sure I'd like one as an edc. You could probably carry a knife of normal size AND a small fixed blade for serious work easier than carrying that brick of a knife.

I handle one every day, carrying it right now. Yes, it is thick and heavy, but isn't a problem the way I carry it. In its pouch on my belt. And lest you think that is necessary, ... well, maybe it IS necessary for the Adamas... but I also carry my 560 that way, as well as several others. I'd also carry my 0301 that way, but it won't fit. I like belt pouches, and the Adamas helps counterbalance the Wave on the opposite side. ;)

They are neat, and for the price it's not bad, but more of a knife for a belt pouch than in a pocket on a clip. I have looked at them, might still pick one up next time work starts handing out Amazon cards. It's probably the only somewhat practical folder in the same league as the ZT300, both are overbuilt, large and heavy, but from handling them the 300 is way more comfortable, more rounded and compact, better steel, and the AO flipper is great on it. On paper the Axis is stronger than a Ti framelock, but I'm not sure to what degree, and outside of trying to make it fail ala spinewhacking both would hold up to most anything. The fixed blade 375 is pretty cool for the most part too, but I can't stand scale-less knives or cord wrapped. They hold goo and dirt in the wrap, and can be uncomfortable with the narrow handle edges, without wrap they are hot, cold, look like crap, and are uncomfortable. Slap a pair of G10 scales on it, and I would buy one. In either case I use my knives, but take care of them, and realistically anything more than a 3" spyderco is more than I really "Need" on a daily basis, but there is little to do with "need" when it comes to the knives we enjoy most.

You sound like you've been in my head rummaging around with what you just typed there, for the most part. The only place I might not agree is with the statement of the S30V being superior to the D2. Even with KAI's S30V (which is done better than most), I do not see it as especially better than D2. Just my preferences. The S30V works, and works well; it is just that the D2 does as well. And I will say, in a Benchmade brand, I would typically prefer D2 to S30V.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    My usual EDC is a CRK Seb 21 in S35VN Unique Graphic (which was one of Lisa’s Picks). CRKs are expensive knives and a lot of people have issues using them in a fashion they were made to be used due to this, which has resulted in them getting a rep as a knife of more show than go. In reality, they are made to be abused and cannot be truly appreciated until they are heavily used. Mr. Reeve has said almost verbatim that ‘we make a knife to go in your pocket and not a display case’. I've used my Umnumzaan to throw, baton, chisel with hammer, cut stainless wire, pry, screw, chop, dig, and whittle...the tolerances on the blade has remained unchanged since, and their slotted PB washer system makes a pivot well-suited for usage in sand or water. I think the Umnumzaan is one of the finest heavy-duty large folders ever made having done so many things to it which would destroy most other knives.

I like my Sebenzas partly as they make them unique. I have a few which are completely different from every other in designs that I really like…a unique image to make it customized to my liking that I myself had design input on. IMO if someone isn’t looking for this, buying used is the way to go. CRKs are usually a little smaller in profile than ZT or Strider. They also are a little lighter. The biggest gain from this is easier carry and biggest trade off is ergonomics. The handles are not going to have contoured ergos from the thin profiles where as ZTs (and Striders) have much more contoured handles. CRK’s big thing is tolerances…they want their knives to have specs within one-thousandth to one-ten-thousandth of an inch…even after users take them apart, clean them, and replace with new parts. Their tolerances are tighter than custom folders, and not many folders can be used to throw or pry, be taken apart in a detail strip, be put back together, and still have the same tolerances as new models. They carry very well, and their slightly softer steel (58-59) makes it easier to sharpen when only crude means are available and increases impact resistance for when the folder is abused and exposed to extreme shock. Other than the price, I think you’d like an Umnumzaan.

CRK’s big contributions to the knife world has been BG-42, S30V, & S35VN steels, and the Reeve Integral Lock AKA titanium frame lock. I think they are worth it but it is a personal call. They are very slow to bring new knives or updates to market, but when they do it is going to be among the best. Them winning the Manufacturer Quality Award for like a decade straight and virtually every knife they make getting Knife of the Year partly speaks to their capabilities. ZT makes great knives…some which are half the price or less, and others which are about the same. Which is ‘best’ really depends on the individual user and what they are doing IMHO.

Newer ZTs are carrying $400-500 price tags…from my experience with them, I would say that these are the folders made to challenge CRK on tolerances + cosmetic designs with unique patterns (like CF on the 0777) as they are updating pivot systems, joints, and locks to do this, plus using using new handle materials. And their advances have been amazing…both ZT and CRK have developed new pivot systems to work in the fashion of a dry sump designed to keep lube inside the pivot and everything else. Indeed the Spyderco Sage 2 presents a knife very close to a Small Seb…and it is a great knife without a doubt. I owned one for a while and really liked it. But I love my CRKs and they are generally the knife in my pocket (in addition to a waved Matriarch or Civilian), but there are a lot of really nice other knives and some for a much lesser price. Some of the newer ZTs with smaller profiles than the 0301 may very well become pocket companions if they ever start shipping…

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    My every day carry started back in my Installation E&I days(AF) everyone needed a tool my first was a linesman blade short 1 one inch blade solid metal handle covered in nonslip rubber your sharpen on Monday and used all week Friday it was still sharp, still have the one I started with in 1977. Stepped up to a classic Leatherman in middle 1980’s with a Buck 110, moved to a Gerber multitool in the early 1990’s. My EDC are work knifes Bucks and Gerber can’t beat’em. My last is this Money/pocket clip Gerber with a easy change blade that used utility blades if you have to fly toss the blade and pickup one up when you land, razor sharp.

Here’s my first handle made knifes two 12” double sided blades that are razor sharp, the hand guard and handle butts are made out of aluminum blocks that were part of a old mobile radar transmitter tube. When the tube went bad we chucked’em in the metal barrel to be trashed. I saved one and recycled the metal back in these handles back 1985. The strange shaped blade in the middle is a skinning knife from Greenland handle is caribou horn I made in 1987

Heres my cheap blades nothing over $50 but they all hold an edge. Klein, Buck, Schrade Old timer everyone has to have a folding knife and 3 blade pocket knife, the old timer 3 blade 2nd one from the bottom was my fathers he cut a lot of oranges with that one over 50 years old the others are almost 30 yard old. Nothing last long then a good knife but a Mosin.;)

Attachments

• hand made.jpg
      hand made.jpg
      60 KB · Views: 754
    Last edited:

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia

Attachments

• rifleman3.jpg
      rifleman3.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 747
    • rifleman6.jpg
      rifleman6.jpg
      64.2 KB · Views: 752
    • ricky2.jpg
      ricky2.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 757
    • rickyfilework.jpg
      rickyfilework.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 748
    • tacpair.jpg
      tacpair.jpg
      19.2 KB · Views: 786
    • zmb2.jpg
      zmb2.jpg
      52.1 KB · Views: 751
    • sideling.jpg
      sideling.jpg
      51.6 KB · Views: 765
    • mdmnt2.jpg
      mdmnt2.jpg
      56.5 KB · Views: 672

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I had one of these years ago but had to sell it due to medical bills and have regretted it ever since. This is the ORIGINAL Spyderco Civilian in polished stainless steel with G-2 stainless with the first generation of serrations, which pre-dates the production TUFFRAM model in G2 and (later) Gin-1 stainless. Not many exist. I got really lucky :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 768
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      53.2 KB · Views: 767
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      33.6 KB · Views: 662
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg