• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattjans

Feb 19, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    Had a friend recently say he didn't want to bring his guns to MD from out of state (for personal use, not sale... driving not flying) because he would have to contact every county sheriff between here and home and notify of the transport. Seemed odd to me, but I didn't know where to point him to clarify. Is there something to this, or did someone just give him some overly-cautious, uber-by-the-book advice.

Thanks!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Only people under order to turn a firearm in are required to notify Law Enforcement of the impending surrender.
    This applies to Maryland .

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Had a friend recently say he didn't want to bring his guns to MD from out of state (for personal use, not sale... driving not flying) because he would have to contact every county sheriff between here and home and notify of the transport. Seemed odd to me, but I didn't know where to point him to clarify. Is there something to this, or did someone just give him some overly-cautious, uber-by-the-book advice.

Thanks!

There are a lot of things people may think is 'illegal'; and Maryland does have a lot of 'bad laws', but this isn't one of them

Oh, please pass the word:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    A banned firearm can not be brought into Maryland.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

You can not bring a banned firearm into the state, if you are intending to change your residency to MD. If you are coming in for a temporary stay, and you are not prohibited from firearms ownership, you can bring it in, as long as it is temporary in nature.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The firearm must have been possessed before 10-1-13 to be legally but temporarily brought into MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    A banned firearm can not be brought into Maryland.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

You can not bring a banned firearm into the state, if you are intending to change your residency to MD. If you are coming in for a temporary stay, and you are not prohibited from firearms ownership, you can bring it in, as long as it is temporary in nature.

The firearm must have been possessed before 10-1-13 to be legally but temporarily brought into MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an Effed-up state we live in....:mad54:
    Stupid silly rules made just because they want to intimidate people into chucking their 2A rights because its made things purposely so convoluted and hard to understand.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Md has the Banned thing , and 4-203 to deal with in transporting handguns . But between his home and Md border he needs only to comply with FOPA .

But Swinkour is right about the Banned Rifles . Our side tried to get an Amendment to allow out of state residents to bring (non-grandfathered evil rifles ) in temporarily for competions and sporting use , but were unsuccessful.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

Thanks!

He's probably thinking of New Jersey which has a law similar to that, where if a person brings a banned weapon in they have to get special permission for only certain reasons (i.e. LE demos, etc.)and technically are required to notify the District Attorney of every single County they pass through getting to their destination.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    He's probably thinking of New Jersey which has a law similar to that, where if a person brings a banned weapon in they have to get special permission for only certain reasons (i.e. LE demos, etc.)and technically are required to notify the District Attorney of every single County they pass through getting to their destination.

Ahh New Jersey, one of the few states that make Maryland look sane.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Going to/stopping in MD is one thing. Passing through to another state/"location where possession is legal" without stopping is covered under FOPA.

Please clarify.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

The first part of your first sentence is correct. Rest is NOT correct.

You may not bring a banned firearm into the state, even for a temporary stay.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not quite. You can bring in a now banned firearm if you possessed it before 10-1-13. If you intend to establish residency, said firearm must be registered with MSP within 90 days of establishing residency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sstrum

Latest threads

Top Bottom