• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    I wanted to do a suppressed 9mm AR build. I was thinking of using a 11" rail with a 5" barrel underneath, so my suppressor would be under the rail. Would having the 11" rail count for the OAL?

Thanks

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I wanted to do a suppressed 9mm AR build. I was thinking of using a 11" rail with a 5" barrel underneath, so my suppressor would be under the rail. Would having the 11" rail count for the OAL?

Thanks

No, it would not.

How to measure.

Stock, if movable, fully extended, any muzzle device not pinned or permanently attached removed.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    What about if the hand guard and the upper receiver are one piece? Such as with the AR57? Below is a picture of the AR57 with 6" barrel. The can is 8" long, so there is about 5" of hand guard past the end of the barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_6599.jpg
      IMG_6599.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 298

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    No.

It must be attached to the barrel given the method of measuring OAL that the ATF mandates:

The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore.

They count only "permanently attached muzzle devices" as part of that. If the thing doesn't permanently attach to the barrel, it's not a muzzle device, and in that case the rail is part of the receiver, not the barrel.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    So what we really need is for someone to sell a suppressor shroud that can be pinned and welded onto any barrel (rather than the TacSol barrels and uppers) so the suppressor itself can still be removed. Obviously you'd either have to have a selection with different threads and shroud diameters, but somebody has to be able to make money on this, right? It's gotta be cheaper to do this than weld on a suppressor.

Downsides that I can see would be the risk of loss of concentricity if the thing isn't aligned right as well as the need to use direct thread mounts (or mounts that can be removed without having to manipulate whatever is covered inside the shroud.

Found somebody with the same idea, but looks like it hasn't been executed yet: https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/3hv27c/xpost_300blk_permanently_attached_suppressor/

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Im just wondering how that would work to have a suppressor welded to the barrel. A lot of suppressors disassemble for cleaning. So would I have to have the whole suppressor welded together or only the booster part welded to the barrel?

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Im just wondering how that would work to have a suppressor welded to the barrel. A lot of suppressors disassemble for cleaning. So would I have to have the whole suppressor welded together or only the booster part welded to the barrel?

It would depend on how much length you are trying to achieve. The fixture has to be permanently attached so...
    In my case(5'' threaded barrel), I think I should be able, if I wanted to, permanently mount to my barrel. Time will tell. I'm only here another 4/5 years. I may just wait.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    So what we really need is for someone to sell a suppressor shroud that can be pinned and welded onto any barrel (rather than the TacSol barrels and uppers) so the suppressor itself can still be removed. Obviously you'd either have to have a selection with different threads and shroud diameters, but somebody has to be able to make money on this, right? It's gotta be cheaper to do this than weld on a suppressor.

Downsides that I can see would be the risk of loss of concentricity if the thing isn't aligned right as well as the need to use direct thread mounts (or mounts that can be removed without having to manipulate whatever is covered inside the shroud.

Found somebody with the same idea, but looks like it hasn't been executed yet: https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/3hv27c/xpost_300blk_permanently_attached_suppressor/

Possible with a form 1 build. Weld the direct thread adapter to barrel and shroud. Leave the end cap "loose". Does this sound legal? This is something I've been pondering.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    Just be careful about pinning. A lot of suppressors have a piston that threads on to the barrel then a shroud that threads on to the piston. You would need to pin and weld both parts or the suppressor can be removed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom