• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I was interested in getting a suppressor from Silencerco.com for my AR-15, before the July rule change. They have a few in stock that would be ok, but I really wish I had more time to plan and decide. I've already setup my trust and was about to do it.

I would like some advice on an alternative option and building my own. It seems that I could create a description for .300 cal and still have a very small amount of design flexibility. While I'm waiting for my application to be approved I could continue to research the final design. I can use the money I would save at today's panic buy prices and buy a bench-top lathe to do most of the machining myself.

Here are my questions:

1) Assuming I send my form 1 in before the deadline is there any other procedural barrier, other than flat out ATF rejection form getting approved?

2) Assuming I'm approved sometime in the future (4-8 months) is there ANY time limit on how long I can take to actually build and serialize my final device?

3) Once I do complete my final device is there any additional paperwork or registration process to complete? I couldn't find any info about this.

4) I realize spare parts are illegal but what about building replacements or improvements for worn/damaged components? For example I make my first set if baffles in Aluminum but decide to replace them with Titanium. If I destroy the old components FIRST before starting the new ones would this still be considered legal?

Thanks in advance for any advice or sharing your own experiences.

ToolAA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    1) Assuming I send my form 1 in before the deadline is there any other procedural barrier, other than flat out ATF rejection form getting approved?

No, none. As long as you get it in under the deadline then it's just waiting for approval.

2) Assuming I'm approved sometime in the future (4-8 months) is there ANY time limit on how long I can take to actually build and serialize my final device?

Nope. You have to have chosen the serial number beforehand, because that has to go on the Form 1 when you submit it. But there's no time limit, and actually if you never end up actually making the item you can apply for a refund of the tax.

3) Once I do complete my final device is there any additional paperwork or registration process to complete? I couldn't find any info about this.

Nope. None. The approved Form 1 is it.

4) I realize spare parts are illegal but what about building replacements or improvements for worn/damaged components? For example I make my first set if baffles in Aluminum but decide to replace them with Titanium. If I destroy the old components FIRST before starting the new ones would this still be considered legal?

I'm not familiar enough with Form 1 suppressors to be able to answer that, so I'll let someone else take it.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Hawkeye thank you for the reply. The more I've been reading over the past few hours I think it just makes more sense to build my own. I think I'm now deciding to just spec two models one specific to the AR platform and a second one for a Remington 700 bolt action. I just need to understand better the law surrounding the replacement of parts and repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom