• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I got a call from my cousin in PA who purchased a 303 British rifle, M91/30 without import marks, and a 22 rifle from his neighbor for $150. Apparently his neighbor was hard up and really needed money. I told him he got an unbelievably good deal, as the value of those guns is multiples of what he paid. He offered to give me the 303 British because he knows I want one and don’t have it. I have a C&R and he does not. Can I purchase it for $1 using my C&R or do we have to use an 01 FFL? I’ve only used my C&R to purchase things online.

Any help would be welcome.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You have a valid Federal Firearms License. You have the legal right to import eligible firearms in interstate commerce to enhance your personal collection.

Yes, you may legally import the rifle if it was manufactured before 1970. You need not pay for it: it can be a gift. You must enter it into your Bound Book.

This is no different from buying a C&R eligible gun online or at an out of state gun show.

You are an FFL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not to get picky , but is all of 1969 Kosher ? Or do we need to dig deeper for finding the actual month of mfg/ shipping ? I have had my eye on somthing waiting for it to age into eligibility .

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    He can ship it to you or you can go pick it up.
    I suggest you go to pick it up in person. That way you can thank him in person and take him out to a great dinner to show your appreciation. That's a good friend!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Not to get picky , but is all of 1969 Kosher ? Or do we need to dig deeper for finding the actual month of mfg/ shipping ? I have had my eye on somthing waiting for it to age into eligibility .

My understanding is that they go by year only. Thus on January 1, 2019, everything made through December 31, 1969 became eligible.

It's hard enough to document years, let alone months and days.

In the end, it's up to the seller and the buyer to decide if they're comfortable with the transfer. Otherwise, you just hold your breath and wait for the ATF to kick your door down and send you off to the Camp for People Who Transferred 599 Month Old Milsurps.

There really is such a Camp. I hear they force you to drink from toilets there...

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Hey OP...

Pretty cool, huh? My uncle (Dads brother) just gave me a rifle a few years back that he bought at 12 years old in about 1949. Its a Remington pump action 22 in pretty decent overall shape that was made about 1935.. He is a Va resident and I am (for now) still in Maryland. All I had to do is log his DL info into my 03 bound book! FYI, I often take a picture of a sellers 03 ffl or license just for back up purposes. The latter us not really needed but could be helpful in an audit in case I misrecord something. FYI, obviously you can't bring a MD banned firearm back.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The year doesn't always play a part; ie, CZ82's (made after 1982) are all OK since the nation is gone and an importer got them put on the list.

Most often, the 50yr rule is the cut line though.

As to the OP's question, YES, you can go get it anywhere in the nation as you have a license for C&R items. Or, could have them shipped to you if you like.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Having the 03 made it much easier when I went to visit my father to pick up the JC Higgins Model 30 that had belonged to my grandfather. Brought it home and put it right into my bound book.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Well damm fellas I sure messed that up, for some reason I thought you had to go FFL to FFL when you were out of Your home state:sign07:

You were right.
    An FFL has to handle an interstate transfer.
    But the OP is an FFL.
    He holds a valid Federal Firearms License and is thus authorized to conduct the transfer.
    That is the intended purpose of the FFL 03.

Last edited:

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Just to be clear, you don't need a copy of the license for the bound book, just the information from the license.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Thank you all for the advice!

However, now I have a moral dilemma: my cousin and his neighbor are both extremely “heavy drinkers”, so any beer or alcohol probably wouldn’t be good and I know they’d spend any money I give them on booze. Part of me says “well, I should give a token of appreciation” and the other part of me says “I know they’re alcoholics and I’d be supporting their demise if I gave them money or beer.”

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    He will have to ship it to a Intermediate ffl , he can send it to my C&R, i will accept it and shoot it for the next two years letting you know how its going, after that 2 year mandatory hold i can then release to you:D :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom