• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

I guess I'd just carry what I've been carrying this past year.

Since getting my Texas carry license three years ago, I've experiment with some different guns. Real world carrying, every single day. Put pants on in morning and have gun on me until I take off pants to go to bed.

The Ruger LCP has been a joy to carry, and its so light I can actually forget it's in the pocket of my Wrangler shorts. Here in Texas, most the year shorts, T-shirt or Magellan fishing shirt, and Keen sandals are the dress of the day for this retired machinist. Fishing on the banks of the San Gabriel river lurking in the shade on a hot day.

I can't stand inside waistband carry in hot weather. I don't like carrying a gun were I can't inconspicuously put a hand on it. I've found pocket carry to be the best with a small pocket pistol. I've fallen in love with the LCP, not the LCP2. I've found them to be a reliable little gun and out to 20 yards accurate enough on a half size silhouette. I sold off my LCP2 and bought a second LCP. One on me and one in the cars center consul.

If it ain't small enough to go in my wrangler pocket, it ain't going along for the ride.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Brought up with the person that did my training/local FFL you visited. Response was to comply and give up the wallet without any resistance. If the wallet has been given up and the demand is made to follow to another location (ie secondary site) act accordingly.

In your scenario you draw and they continue to approach just to test you, you take out all 3 and they were found to be completely unarmed. Not saying right or wrong. I carry USCCA because of the above. It’s an absolute nightmare.
    you are in danger either way.
    Mas ayob in one of his books says he keeps a $10 bill ( old book) wrapped around Matchbook to toss and defuse a situation. These days Too many have been killed senselessly in st robberies. A 29 yr old barber today. Tough, tough decision. They have the drop on you and they want to take you? Then what?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    P7 M13 love that gun !! Carried 1 for 10 years. A bit heavy. But talk about carry safe and quick on the draw!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok Kagetsu , I read it , albeit a little time lag .

Dress around the gun , use good belt , G23 / G22 are doable, and if you favor Fore Tay , that's don't ask don't tell .

Presumably the 12ga would be stashed closely at hand, and not stuffed in the back of your BVDs under your T shirt . 4 Buck gets conditional nod , ( 1 B hard to find) 00B good , and Foster style slugs viable also .

But avoid pistol grip only ( unless you plan on keeping it unloaded for use as an impact weapon ) . For defensive shotgun, either Go Big , or leave it home . Ie use a full buttstock so you can actually hit somthing . If that size envelope Dosen't work, either adapt to the size, or go with plan B for long gun . A fold up PCC perhaps .

I'll be nice, and pretend the heavy scoped .308 was inserted for humor purposes .

Avoid Derringers categorically way too slow to get into action . Way too impossible to hit anything . And while I notoriously don't obsess over round count , two is definitely too few . A Derringer actually makes a .25acp look good by comparison . If you wish a * Third * pistol , use your preference between .32acp or .380acp subcompacts, or Airweight .38spl .

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    P7 M13 love that gun !! Carried 1 for 10 years. A bit heavy. But talk about carry safe and quick on the draw!

I've been looking for a decent one for a while now that is a good price. Clearly my value is low as I don't have one in my safe yet lol.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

I've got a P7 PSP but not planning to carry it. Manual of arms is a bit tricky unless you practice constantly; also too valuable to sit in an evidence locker for a year. I seem to recall a couple instances od NJ police shooting themselves in the leg because they didn't release the grip cocker before attempting to re-holster.

Last edited:

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I would want to carry a lightweight and dependable 9mm pistol made by a well known manufacturer. The G43 meets these requirements for me.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    As I, and many others, live in the PRM. CWC is an unknown. It would come after some trial and error. But, the main point would be what I'm best with and has never given me issues with HPs.
    I'd love to rock a SR1911CMD LW in 45acp, SA EMP 4.0, or something similar. But, a P365XL would probably be realistic.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I would want to carry a lightweight and dependable 9mm pistol made by a well known manufacturer. The G43 meets these requirements for me.

/Thread. Realistically, a compact Glock 9mm or one of the higher end Kahrs are the way to go for CC, the only question is whether you'd rather trade width for capacity in the name of easy IWB concealment.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    /Thread. Realistically, a compact Glock 9mm or one of the higher end Kahrs are the way to go for CC, the only question is whether you'd rather trade width for capacity in the name of easy IWB concealment.

I’m 6’5, high 200s. I’m sure I could hide pretty much anything, 43/365 all day long over a 1911 or any other brick that you have to dress around to conceal.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I’m 6’5, high 200s. I’m sure I could hide pretty much anything, 43/365 all day long over a 1911 or any other brick that you have to dress around to conceal.
    Aside from the 3 muggings in the downtown area yesterday, involving 3 attackers in each case ( and the 3 that attacked the dep commissioner on sat) yesterday about 6pm as she was leaving work, a friends daughter was attacked 2200 blk eastern avenue by six (6). As she was getting into her car. Not hurt; phone, lap top and hand bag stolen. Is a slim 9 like a g43 or a shield enough? Should state law be amended to require all non prohibited cotizens to carry upon their bodies at all times, a handgun of reputable make and good maintenance, capable of accepting a spring loaded, box, magazine of not less than 15 rds, along with one spare and appear for inspection and training evey second saturday at the entrance to patterson park where they will be met by a cadre of sufficiently trained persons of high moral repute.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Is a slim 9 like a g43 or a shield enough?.

99.9% of the time yes and for most people 100% of the time yes because they're never going to use it. On duty in full battle rattle I've got 165 rounds ON MY BODY if I've got the rifle slung. That's 3 rifle mags on the vest, 1 in the rifle, 2 pistol mags on the vest and 1 in the pistol.

Off duty it's usually a Glock 33 or a P365 with one spare mag and the mag isn't so much for extra ammo as it is for failures. Honesty, I would not be concerned with a revolver and 6 spare rounds in the pocket in most places.

Most other police have a very similar approach unless they're new. There's a fine line between being prepared and being retarded.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    99.9% of the time yes and for most people 100% of the time yes because they're never going to use it. On duty in full battle rattle I've got 165 rounds ON MY BODY if I've got the rifle slung. That's 3 rifle mags on the vest, 1 in the rifle, 2 pistol mags on the vest and 1 in the pistol.

Off duty it's usually a Glock 33 or a P365 with one spare mag and the mag isn't so much for extra ammo as it is for failures. Honesty, I would not be concerned with a revolver and 6 spare rounds in the pocket in most places.

Most other police have a very similar approach unless they're new. There's a fine line between being prepared and being retarded.
    These events have caused me to switch the G43 for a G33 unless i am across the bridge.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Aside from the 3 muggings in the downtown area yesterday, involving 3 attackers in each case ( and the 3 that attacked the dep commissioner on sat) yesterday about 6pm as she was leaving work, a friends daughter was attacked 2200 blk eastern avenue by six (6). As she was getting into her car. Not hurt; phone, lap top and hand bag stolen. Is a slim 9 like a g43 or a shield enough? Should state law be amended to require all non prohibited cotizens to carry upon their bodies at all times, a handgun of reputable make and good maintenance, capable of accepting a spring loaded, box, magazine of not less than 15 rds, along with one spare and appear for inspection and training evey second saturday at the entrance to patterson park where they will be met by a cadre of sufficiently trained persons of high moral repute.

Are they all willing to wait around to see if you have enough for all of them? I can imagine you “take out” one and the rest go running. Technically my 30 round 45ACP/10mm Kriss Vector mags are compatible with my 29/30. Don’t know if I have a desire to carry that on a daily basis. I honestly avoid the city as much so I don’t have to worry about it. Get my Greek food down on Eastern or Oldham and get the hell out of dodge.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    These events have caused me to switch the G43 for a G33 unless i am across the bridge.

And there's nothing wrong with that, I was just providing an example based on one extreme to the next from someone who is an LEO. Off duty most of us probably worry about it way less than the average person would.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    https://x-grips.com/glock/26-27-g5/

Maybe for a backup mag? Allow you to conceal the 33 and still have access to additional rounds? For me my 26/27/33/29/30 feel like bricks compared to the 43. I have a 36 but it’s not accurate, almost as if the 45 is too much for the slim frame.

I carried a 27 for a number of years, switched to a 33. My 27 is 20 yrs plus old so i treated my self to a new 33...the cop shop of blessed memory. I thought the 27 and 33 very concealable IWB ( and they are) but the shield 9 and 45 are slimmer but taller. So less pull at the waist band butmore likely to print. But for owb in a good kydex and a good gun belt, which i prefer, the weight of the 33 is telling and the 43is a pleasure. Just wonder why it wasn’t first made with a 7 rd mag like the shield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom