Join MD Shooters

Old July 20th, 2019, 08:32 PM #111
AR15 Technical Instructor

Send a message via Skype™ to clandestine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeysakharov47 View Post
That is great, and from the sounds of it you are also the guy who fixes $5000 dollar ARs or otherwise you wouldn't have spent thousands on gauges. But remember, not everyone can afford a top notch weapon and instead of talking crap to them, why not just give them professional advice and courtesy rather then slam their decisions.
I do give professional advice and I help people with problem AR's. $300 dollar ones and 30k dollar ones. It's what I do. The gauges find defects in all price ranges. If the manufacturers would have better QC they probably would not be needed.

School of the American Rifle Website

School of the American Rifle on Instagram
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2019, 08:35 PM #112
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
For what and how that guy is going to use it for it absolutely will keep up with every rifle mentioned here. OP said this is his first gun, doubt he is an operator like all you geniuses.
Wanting a well built, reliable and in-spec AR does not equate to being an operator. Grow up.
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2019, 08:39 PM #113

Quote:
For what and how that guy is going to use it for it absolutely will keep up with every rifle mentioned here. OP said this is his first gun, doubt he is an operator like all you geniuses.
Having a safe and reliable rifle has nothing to do with being an operator. Headspace and firing pin protrustion issues can allow a gun to KB. AR or AKM. People do use their AR for a home defense gun.

Affordable guns can be very safe and reliable, but one has to understand that some can be dangerous in one way or another to the shooter.

This is why manufacturers and Gunsmiths use gauges. It takes a lot of guess work out of play. From there is visual inspection and proper materials. Problem is many budget guns skimp on the QC and the end user gets stuck with something dangerous or useless.

School of the American Rifle Website

School of the American Rifle on Instagram
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2019, 08:58 PM #114
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Having a safe and reliable rifle has nothing to do with being an operator. Headspace and firing pin protrustion issues can allow a gun to KB. AR or AKM. People do use their AR for a home defense gun.

Affordable guns can be very safe and reliable, but one has to understand that some can be dangerous in one way or another to the shooter.

This is why manufacturers and Gunsmiths use gauges. It takes a lot of guess work out of play. From there is visual inspection and proper materials. Problem is many budget guns skimp on the QC and the end user gets stuck with something dangerous or useless.
You are absolutely correct and it is not a bad idea to have your gun serviced / checked by a professional, especially when buying used, Although less likely, these things can happen to very expensive guns.

Personally, I do not spend more than $750 on a rifle. My two ARs, my handfull of AKs and a SKS or two have never been gauged and always fired. That doesn't mean there is harm in having it checked.

My 1st AR was an Armalite, I can't remember what I paid for it but what I do know is that I put so many rounds through that thing that for some reason the cycle rate went very high. As it turned erosion of the gas port in the barrel was what caused the higher cycle rate and failures to extract. That was the only time any of my rifles had to see a doctor. I gave that Armalite a way to the gunsmith and bought a new one. Big mistake!
sergeysakharov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2019, 10:21 PM #115
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Quote:
OP, tell your friend to save his money and buy a Palmetto State Armory Freedom Series. It is $449 and will keep up with every rifle mentioned in this thread and your friend will likely never use it to its full potential.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165450007.html

If he get's into shooting, then he can go buy something boutique. Any concerns, tell him to watch this video.

https://youtu.be/crdPv6nAQwU
MD legal (i.e. is at an HBAR)?

PSA has a really mixed track record. Most likely that review was with a T&E gun provided to the YouTubers by PSA. They did this with the first generation KS-47, which had issues that YouTubers missed, possibly because PSA sent them rifles that exhibited less of these problems. They also had many problems with the AR-10s (PA-10s) when they first released, as they did with a 9mm subgun recently.

I buy uppers from PSA, and after the first two had canted front sight posts, I moved to ordering ones that don't have front sight posts, having come to the conclusion that I'm getting a great deal on all the parts they're putting in the upper (especially the barrel) but the build quality isn't to be trusted (thus I have had them brought up to spec, including front sight posts fixed, via SOTAR).

I do think PSA is a resource and has its place in the AR vendor universe, but I don't think that they put out a product with the same care that Windham or Colt does.
Old July 20th, 2019, 11:28 PM #116
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelity View Post

PSA has a really mixed track record. Most likely that review was with a T&E gun provided to the YouTubers by PSA. They did this with the first generation KS-47, which had issues that YouTubers missed, possibly because PSA sent them rifles that exhibited less of these problems. They also had many problems with the AR-10s (PA-10s) when they first released, as they did with a 9mm subgun recently.

I buy uppers from PSA, and after the first two had canted front sight posts, I moved to ordering ones that don't have front sight posts, having come to the conclusion that I'm getting a great deal on all the parts they're putting in the upper (especially the barrel) but the build quality isn't to be trusted (thus I have had them brought up to spec, including front sight posts fixed, via SOTAR).

I do think PSA is a resource and has its place in the AR vendor universe, but I don't think that they put out a product with the same care that Windham or Colt does.
Don't disagree, but Rob put that supposed POS PSA through a 5k torture test and up and till that point no other AR passed. That freedom PSA did! Therefore I am confident that it will be good enough for OPs friend and his first range session.

EDIT: Forgot to mention HBAR. Have you seen how many non HBAR rifles are MD legal per MSPD Firearms Search Not sure if HBAR has any meaning in MD anymore.
Old July 20th, 2019, 11:57 PM #117

Quote:
That is great, and from the sounds of it you are also the guy who fixes $5000 dollar ARs or otherwise you wouldn't have spent thousands on gauges. But remember, not everyone can afford a top notch weapon and instead of talking crap to them, why not just give them professional advice and courtesy rather then slam their decisions.

Chad has given his recommendations based on his experience of working on THOUSANDS or ARs. He has done it in a courteous manner hundreds of times. He takes issue with those who ask for advice, he gives it, and then they basically tell him hes wrong.
Hes given his time and advice to myself and many others here simply to help them have a reliable, functioning firearm.
Hes probably forgotten more about the AR platform then most of us will ever learn.
Then, we have someone like you who hasnt been a member for even 24 hours giving him shit. That alone tells me you wont last long here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbird7282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 12:05 AM #118
Banned

Banned

We’ve moved on.
Old July 21st, 2019, 12:15 AM #119
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelity View Post

How many uppers have you bought? Just for builds and then sales?
jrhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 01:14 AM #120
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Weve moved on.
Then you have, unfortunately, missed a lot.
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles