Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rimfire
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 4th, 2019, 05:45 PM #11

Ugggh
Yet another Ruger 22/45 mod to make it shoot right. I did the spring delete mod to my wifeís. I need to do the mod to make her slide lock act like every other gun slide lock cause somethings the pulls the bolt back while tilting it and it still holds back.

Iíll have to look at this mod but a not fully seated mag gets her at least once per range session. At least itís teaching her to wack he mag envelopes though she looses confidence in its inherent reliability. Hence I always bring the Glock 17 for her to shoot as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2019, 11:46 AM #12

It was the magazine... Thanks
Attached Images

Old July 5th, 2019, 01:15 PM #13
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

That's good news! I always like it when the explanation is rational (and not space aliens or the Russians). Enjoy that nice pistol. They're endlessly fun.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:30 AM #14
West of Morning Side

West of Morning Side

Nice looking pistol.
Thanks for following up!
I like it when someone comes back and tells everyone the solution. That's helping others who may encounter a similar situation.
Old July 18th, 2019, 10:20 PM #15

The Ruger mechanism is so datgum fussy that it's just a pleasure to fix.

Years ago, I was in a gun store when a man brought in a Ruger Standard Auto disassembled and in a brown paper bag. It was a busy day and the store owner didn't have time to fool around with it. The man had purchased it and, without shooting it, had disassembled it (something you just didn't do back then). I had nothing better to do that day, so I borrowed the store owner's tools and began trying to assemble the gun.

Ruger Mark II (top) and an AMT Lightning Ruger clone.

It did not go well and the gun owner was watching me nervously. It took me awhile, but after some sweat and tears finally got the thing back together and working. I then cautioned him to not take the gun apart without shooting it at least a hundred rounds.

I've put the bloody things together many times over the years, but this was the most horrible experience I've ever had. That gun was the tightest Ruger I'd ever seen, and I literally had to beat the thing back together. I have no problem taking them apart or assembling them, normally, but the guy told me he'd had a difficult time getting it apart, and I believe him.

Now I wouldn't even consider buying a Mark 4 because I actually enjoy the process! (Actually, I'd love to get a 6-inch stainless because I've never been able to find a Mark 2 or, for that matter, a Mark 3!) Buying handguns in Montgomery County actually is an aggravating experience to begin with anyway. You can get anything you want as long as it's not a good deal!

--
Cold Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 12:31 AM #16

Once upon a time while visiting with the late shooting/ handloading partner #1 , he'd been disassembling his 22/45 for some forgotten original reason , and the usual hilarity ensued , and proceeded to assemble & disassemble to increase his skills at doing so ( he was not only skilled at detail stripping firearms of all types, but dealt with complex machinery professionally ).

So of course , eventually he points me to the pieces and good naturedly " ok , let's see you do it " . So for once everything goes right , and I get it together in about 60sec with no fumbles . " After being slackjawed , " bet you can't do it again " . " Hell no , that was luck, I'll never be able to top that, I'm quiting while I'm ahead ."

( Is this a good occasion to mention my S&W M622 had much better trigger, and shot groups half the size of the Ruger ? )
Biggfoot44 is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rimfire