• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Nice!

are there P25 phase 2 repeaters in this area? I thought that at one time Phase 2 was trunked.

Not for Amateur use (yet), but there are a few that are commercial/personal use in the area. At least one with encryption.

And it really doesn't have to be trunked to take advantage of the 2 time slots on the repeater, much like DMR.

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    Not for Amateur use (yet), but there are a few that are commercial/personal use in the area. At least one with encryption.

And it really doesn't have to be trunked to take advantage of the 2 time slots on the repeater, much like DMR.

I've been out of the radio business for some time, and wasn't sure how far P25 equipment had progressed. Stand alone P25 Phase 2 repeaters would be nice to see in use.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I tuned up my APRS setup. Seems that i was over driving the audio a bit and wasn't getting out well. I should probably improve my antenna. Next project is to test if the email via wlnk-1 will still work.

Interesting discussions.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    In my opinion, digital modes such as DMR, D-Star, Fusion and others should not be considered for use as primary communications modes over FM. Until there is one digital standard or a radio that has every digital mode possible or if one has multiple radios to cover all of the possible digital modes, FM should be the primary mode for VHF/UHF communications. FM repeaters are fairly easy to set up in an emergency and FM is still a reliable mode of communications.

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I've been out of the radio business for some time, and wasn't sure how far P25 equipment had progressed. Stand alone P25 Phase 2 repeaters would be nice to see in use.

Pretty much any P25 Phase 2 repeater will work stand alone, much like the DMR repeaters. Currently the DMR repeaters are easier to network, with several in the area, and being able to connect to different servers based on the various talk groups you program.

The P25 Phase 2 stand alone repeaters, don't have all of the functionality of a trunked system, but when you only need one frequency, but you end up with two talk pasth on that frequency, who can complain.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I tuned up my APRS setup. Seems that i was over driving the audio a bit and wasn't getting out well. I should probably improve my antenna. Next project is to test if the email via wlnk-1 will still work.

Interesting discussions.

Winlink is fun to play with, I'm not sure when the last time you used it was, bet there have been some very cool advancement over the years.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In my opinion, digital modes such as DMR, D-Star, Fusion and others should not be considered for us a primary communications modes over FM. Until there is one digital standard or a radio that has every digital mode possible or if one has multiple radios to cover all of the possible digital modes, FM should be the primary mode for VHF/UHF communications. FM repeaters are fairly easy to set up in an emergency and FM is still a reliable mode of communications.

Very true, but if everyone in your group has the same digital mode, it does make it harder for others that are not a part of your group to listen in.

Currently there is no one radio that covers all of the digital modes save for an SDR that has most of the commercial digital modes (P25P1, P25P2, NXDN, DMR) since they are all open standard. The two mentioned amateur digital modes are closed and proprietary. If I were to suggest a digital mode, I would suggest DMR first and P25P1 second.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    What digital voice modes do you have/operate on, and what reflectors/talkgroups do you use most often?
    Not digital voice, but my friend and I were successful at transmitting text via PSK31 at 7mi using 5 watts on 2M FM. We had good antennas but only the 5 watts from our HTs. It seems the biggest factor was finding Line-Of-Sight.

We are going to try this again sometime soon but using JS8Call on 2M and with multiple nodes over a wider network.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    FM repeaters are fairly easy to set up in an emergency and FM is still a reliable mode of communications.

Years ago a ham buddy developed a quick and dirty portable repeater. It was for disaster use. Climb up a pole or tree and strap it. Extend the antenna, drop the power cord to the ground. Power is any 12 volt battery.

Whole thing is about the size of a large briefcase.

A number of them were built and used at actual disasters.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Years ago a ham buddy developed a quick and dirty portable repeater. It was for disaster use. Climb up a pole or tree and strap it. Extend the antenna, drop the power cord to the ground. Power is any 12 volt battery.

Whole thing is about the size of a large briefcase.

A number of them were built and used at actual disasters.

I’ve got so many Beofeng units that I’ve been meaning to create one of these Macgyver style repeaters. I envisioned building a small waterproof case with a better antenna and adding a Li battery pack. I figured it could be hoisted up a tall tree or maybe even use a large mylar helium ballon to get it really high up.

https://youtu.be/A9faCP4rZbg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’ve got so many Beofeng units that I’ve been meaning to create one of these Macgyver style repeaters. I envisioned building a small waterproof case with a better antenna and adding a Li battery pack. I figured it could be hoisted up a tall tree or maybe even use a large mylar helium ballon to get it really high up.

https://youtu.be/A9faCP4rZbg

The one my friend designed used mobile units, so it could be run at higher power. Or lower power if not needed.

The power lead to the ground was to use car batteries, and swapping them without having to climb the pole or tree.

Just thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom