• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Anyone ever drill a .45 sized can out for 9mm? I'm wondering if it would make it noticeably more quiet with the extra volume and length.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The 2 things that affect sound reduction are volume and number of baffles.

ABN

ATW!
    Jan 20, 2020
    Baltimore
    Yes I have and it’s pretty nice. I am not sure how to upload videos or else I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Anyone ever drill a .45 sized can out for 9mm? I'm wondering if it would make it noticeably more quiet with the extra volume and length.

Number of baffles and the tube diameter and length (volume) can offset the hole size. Just make sure the engraving on the can matches what is in the stamp. My 6" .45 can has a .50 inch hole but I used a lot of freeze plugs. It is a little bit more quiet than my my Gemtech GM9 based on iphone recording of both suppressors.

The GM9 is a commercial can and approximates the diameter of the B tube. Whereas my Form1 can is D cell diameter. I've also used the same can on a 16" AR. Barrel looked funny long but works.

I would not use a Form1 tube on an AR with a barrel length <14.5" because of the barrel pressure. IIRC the SD tactical tubes were good for 12500 psi. I tried it once on a 10.5 barrel and it deformed the hole on the 1st freeze plug. If you use other material for the spacers it may be stronger but I have no idea with regards to their psi limit.

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgov...0/armament/WednesdayCumberlandPhilipDater.pdf
    check page 14 for length vs barrel pressure

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    9mm is smaller than .45.

The plan was shooting 9mm only. But through a .45 sized can, except drilled with a 9mm hole instead of .45.

Give it a try. If you don't like it, or later want to set it up for .45, you just drill bigger holes.

Well I think according to the ATF you aren't allowed to change diameter afterwards.

More importantly I don't have any .45s so I would rather have a 9mm sized smaller can if this turns out to be a dumb idea.

The 2 things that affect sound reduction are volume and number of baffles.

Volume would be bigger this way. Baffles would be the same number but larger.

Yes I have and it’s pretty nice. I am not sure how to upload videos or else I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't decide if extra sound reduction is worth it over just a regular 9mm size can. It does't seem like the weight is much different, and it only adds a little over an inch in length.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There are more than two factors . The whole field of fluid dynamics, i.e. things like turbulence , phase cancellation, etc .

But the basic design being more or less equivalent , volume is a direct factor .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'll throw this in, just for shitz.and grinz. Why not drill the can out for .45? I believe there will be negligible difference with a larger hole. Volume and length are the key, as others have stated. I use two different cans on my 5.56s, depending on the gun. One is a Surefire 556 socom. The other, a YHM Phantom 762 Lite. I will swear to you, the YHM is the quieter can. It's longer, a little wider, but it does have a .30 caliber hole.

"Well, if I drill it with smaller holes, it will be the much quieter". Maybe, but sure as God made little green apples, you're gonna want a .45 can, down the road, and you'll be kicking yourself in the head.

Just my unsolicited opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom