• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    You can only "pull" water from about 33 feet deep because it is actually air pressure that is pushing the water up out of the well. (the approximate 15 PSI atmospheric air pressure is about equal to the weight of a column of water 33 feet high, water pressure is 0.433 pounds per foot of depth) When you need a deep well pump the pump actually goes down inside the well and the pumps water pressure pushes the water up the pipe. Same with a deep well hand pump the pump mechanism is down inside the well and the water pressure pushes the water up to the surface. Hand pumps use mechanical advantage to overcome the resistance.

The other choice is to live without water.

This will get you started:

AA County used to use shallow well hand pumps "Pitcher Pumps" then as wells got deeper they went to jet pumps that were electric with the pump at ground level, they had to be "primed", which would pump a stream of water down one pipe in the well casing through a venturi which would suck in additional water and out a second pipe in the well casing to the pressure tank. As water tables have dropped and people have tried to get away from the high Iron content the depth of wells has increased. Thus the need for deep well pumps with the pump located below the water table within the well casing.

If you don't like the convenience of a hand pump you could always use a well bucket:
    These go 150' and are manual unless you rig a motor.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    The Lifestraw was one of the filters I tested in our lab. I now have one in our vehicles and get home bags.
    These are good for your go bag.

Can the handheld UV sanitizers be used to disinfect well water that has been stored w/o chlorine in a pinch in like a 1/2 gal glass container, or should they go thru a Zero water, Aqua rain type ceramic filter, or just boil it?

BTW, I tested the PPM from my "filtered" SS fridge w/ a brand new broken in filter and got like a 170 ppm reading. The Zero water was 0 using the same water. Are fridge filters worthless?

Thanks

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    These go 150' and are manual unless you rig a motor.

Those are interesting but remember the deeper you go with a hand pump the more the column of water above the pumping mechanism weighs which either add to the weight of the column of water you are trying to lift or adds to the pressure of the water that the pump has to overcome depending on what type of pump you are using.

These are good for your go bag.

Can the handheld UV sanitizers be used to disinfect well water that has been stored w/o chlorine in a pinch in like a 1/2 gal glass container, or should they go thru a Zero water, Aqua rain type ceramic filter, or just boil it?

BTW, I tested the PPM from my "filtered" SS fridge w/ a brand new broken in filter and got like a 170 ppm reading. The Zero water was 0 using the same water. Are fridge filters worthless?

Thanks
    I personally confirmed the LifeStraw removes >99.9% of harmful bacteria, which is what the UV and boiling should be doing. I would skip the UV and get a carbon filter to remove toxins such as pesticides, metals, and other pollutants.
    I don't trust the portable/handheld UV systems.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Those are interesting but remember the deeper you go with a hand pump the more the column of water above the pumping mechanism weighs which either add to the weight of the column of water you are trying to lift or adds to the pressure of the water that the pump has to overcome depending on what type of pump you are using.
    It has a ball bearing one way valve at the bottom of the very long small pipe that reduces the mass of the water in the column. GPM is very low but you get fresh water.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I saw a video of a guy using this to put water pressure back on the house with no electricity. Basically create a bypass and pump the pressure tank back up. But $700 for the hand pump!

I'd prefer to have the above, but might be making a drop sleeve from 3" PVC unless i can find something cheaper. or buying the leeman's bucket.

Last edited:

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I saw a video of a guy using this to put water pressure back on the house with no electricity. Basically create a bypass and pump the pressure tank back up. But $700 for the hand pump!

I'd prefer to have the above, but might be making a drop sleeve from 3" PVC unless i can find something cheaper. or buying the leeman's bucket.
    The manufactures chart shows a total lift of 20 - 22' (0- 1000 above sea level),,
    So this would not work to get water out of a typ residential well ?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    No. You physically can't suck water up past ~32'. Thet already would take almost perfect vacuum. Basic physics. Deep wells you have to lift buckets of water out or figure out how to pressurize the water from the bottom (which is how in-well pumps do it.)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The manufactures chart shows a total lift of 20 - 22' (0- 1000 above sea level),,
    So this would not work to get water out of a typ residential well ?
    The way a pump works is air pressure, about 14.7 PSI at sea level, pushes the water up the pipe as the air is removed. The air pressure can only lift the weight of water to a height of about 32 feet. To pump water from deeper wells the actual pump mechanism must be lowered down the well casing close to or below the water level then the pump pressure can push the water up to the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom