• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hansum

Feb 14, 2019
    I finally got 2 weeks of food, water and supplies and finished a go bag. I'm almost ready to take the Technician test and get talking on this HT. It's actually pretty entertaining and informative just listening to the local nets.

Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that I have no real friends locally. I am pretty new out here. So I have no one that could be relied on if shit were to get all post societal. When this coronacation blows over I either need to make some new friends in the area.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

LiveSteamer

Mar 22, 2020
    The Republic of Texas
    What have I learned from this pandemic?

1. I'm glad I am a prepper. Food and supplies are not problem.

2. I'm glad I am a reloader with a big supply of components.

3. I like my own company.

4. I love my dog.

5. Liquor stores deliver ............

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Next time there is a gun show, there will be the guy at the table selling bulk PPE including 100 pack boxes of N95 masks.
    Then there will be the guy selling N95 mask making kits

N80 masks, the kit to complete it is extra

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    A lot of what I learned has already been mentioned. But the big thing for me is seeing how SOME people have no real understanding of nor appreciation for their rights. I have seen so many folks I've known and trusted for a long time cave in to the "stay closed/remain shut down" crowd. Absolutely no desire to hear the least little bit about moving to the next phase. Animous vitriol to the Open Md rally this past week; have you seen the comments about the "protesters" who attended or followed the rally? Their comments about Andy Harris, even from Fat Larry? "Whatever it takes to be safe" or "Thousands more will get sick and die if we don't stay home and shut down." or whatever. To bottom-line it, they put 100% faith in whatever the .gov and the network media says. And these are folks who've always been very skeptical of such things but have now wholeheartedly jumped right in the Koolaid bowl. They totally, willingly surrendered their rights because govt scared the hell out of them.

Was it Ben Franklin who said something along the lines of "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserve neither."? Right now there's a whole lot of those undeserving, and they aren't who I thought they were.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A lot of what I learned has already been mentioned. But the big thing for me is seeing how SOME people have no real understanding of nor appreciation for their rights. I have seen so many folks I've known and trusted for a long time cave in to the "stay closed/remain shut down" crowd. Absolutely no desire to hear the least little bit about moving to the next phase. Animous vitriol to the Open Md rally this past week; have you seen the comments about the "protesters" who attended or followed the rally? Their comments about Andy Harris, even from Fat Larry? "Whatever it takes to be safe" or "Thousands more will get sick and die if we don't stay home and shut down." or whatever. To bottom-line it, they put 100% faith in whatever the .gov and the network media says. And these are folks who've always been very skeptical of such things but have now wholeheartedly jumped right in the Koolaid bowl. They totally, willingly surrendered their rights because govt scared the hell out of them.

Was it Ben Franklin who said something along the lines of "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserve neither."? Right now there's a whole lot of those undeserving, and they aren't who I thought they were.

This.
    When mentioning the erosion of our rights to some people they look at me like I'm typhoid Mary.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This sounds ridiculous, but ive been spraying down any money I've received lately with a bleach mixture...

Make sure you don't get the bleach solution too strong.

I did that with a couple 100 dollar bills and it washed the zeros right off, left me with a pair of ones...

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Make sure you don't get the bleach solution too strong.

I did that with a couple 100 dollar bills and it washed the zeros right off, left me with a pair of ones...

I do that with all the checks I receive. Sometimes I forget how many zeros there were so I add a couple extra, just in case.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD

Agreed

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I've been putting my mail in the oven, 180 degrees for 20 minutes. I've been told it kills the virus. It don't hurt the paper any. Might work on money?

No joke, my wife works at a bank and had a guy bring in $4k worth of scorched bills he had microwaved to kill any virus. He wanted to exchange for new bills. She had to refuse, and I think he got referred to corporate because she didn't have the authority to exchange that much, for that reason. I don't know if they did, but don't microwave your money. Boil it for 10 minutes if you must though.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    What I learned is:
    Numbers can be manipulated to make us believe anything.
    Social media is censored to keep our thinking within certain parameters.
    The news media is purposefully contradicting information to keep us confused and divided.
    We are not truly free because the government can suspend our rights at any time.
    Our food supply is fragile and perfectly edible food can be destroyed in dire times because of food safety standards.
    Not having debt is crucial, while simultaneously having savings is both smart but possibly worthless if the dollar inflates.

What I need to prepare better:
    Basic gardening skills
    Long term food storage

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    [Kev308];5888791 said:
    What I learned is:

Numbers can be manipulated to make us believe anything.

Social media is censored to keep our thinking within certain parameters.

The news media is purposefully contradicting information to keep us confused and divided.

We are not truly free because the government can suspend our rights at any time.

Our food supply is fragile and perfectly edible food can be destroyed in dire times because of food safety standards.

Not having debt is crucial, while simultaneously having savings is both smart but possibly worthless if the dollar inflates.

What I need to prepare better:

Basic gardening skills

Long term food storage
    Excellent post. Agree 100%

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC

raw

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    In regards to gardening, I used to think that seeds weren’t that useful in an SHTF event because you can only use them 1/2 of the year and even then you need time for the crops to go. Anyways, I thought I’d sock away some seeds because that’s what “experts” recommended.

Back in 2013 Home Depot has seeds on sale for 50% off so I got a ton and set them on a shelf (actually in a binder using sport card pages to keep them organized). When this all started I pulled those seeds out, not expecting much. While the germination rate was noticeably less, I still got some plants to grow. I have about 100 pea plants now and plan to put in my corn, beans, and other vegetables in the next few weeks. I also placed a few large orders for seeds back in March so I’d have some fresh seeds.

I planted fruit trees back around 2013 because they take a good 5 years to grow decent fruit trees. We had a decent harvest last year and I’m hoping for a good harvest this year. In my yard I have apples, peaches, plums, pears, figs, and almonds. If you go this route, you’ll need at least 2 of each tree for good pollination.

If you want to get into gardening, there are a ton of resources available.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    In regards to gardening, I used to think that seeds weren’t that useful in an SHTF event because you can only use them 1/2 of the year and even then you need time for the crops to go. Anyways, I thought I’d sock away some seeds because that’s what “experts” recommended.

Back in 2013 Home Depot has seeds on sale for 50% off so I got a ton and set them on a shelf (actually in a binder using sport card pages to keep them organized). When this all started I pulled those seeds out, not expecting much. While the germination rate was noticeably less, I still got some plants to grow. I have about 100 pea plants now and plan to put in my corn, beans, and other vegetables in the next few weeks. I also placed a few large orders for seeds back in March so I’d have some fresh seeds.

I planted fruit trees back around 2013 because they take a good 5 years to grow decent fruit trees. We had a decent harvest last year and I’m hoping for a good harvest this year. In my yard I have apples, peaches, plums, pears, figs, and almonds. If you go this route, you’ll need at least 2 of each tree for good pollination.

I looked into apples and almonds a couple years ago, but when I found out I needed 2 of each I couldnt find room for them on my property. I`m still thinking about doing apples but training them onto a trellis.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

We moved a year ago and just doubled the size of the garden this year (put it in last year). In addition we planted fruit trees a few weeks ago. 4 apples, an apricot, a plumcot, 2 almond, 2 cherry and 2 peach trees. Also just got goose berries that’ll take a couple years. Garden went from roughly 7 beds 10x4ft or equivalent in size to 14 10x4ft beds and there is room within the fencing (5ft rabbit fence with wire strung every foot above that up to 9ft in height) to add another 3-4 (just haven’t built them yet). Trellis between most of the beds.

Grapes and hops also.

We had raspberries, currants, blackberries, elderberries, rhubarb, a potted lemon/lime tree and a potted fig tree. Might try growing a potted mango or avocado. A ton of blue berries.

My wife’s a master gardener.

Also expanded the flock. Got a bunch more chicks. One turned out to be a rooster with a straight run on one of the breeds. Sold two of the 1yr old ladies to a friend whose husband ran out on her and wanted chickens. Got rid of the two causing dominance issues. Also sold 5 of the then pullets to a neighbor. Left us with 5 1yr old laying hens, 6 new hens that are about 2.5 months old now. And one rooster. If things look a lot better in a few months and he’s an A-hole, he’ll be dinner. If they don’t get better or he’s nice....well we’ll need more chickens and/or contingency plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom