Would Private Firearm Instruction be a problem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PipeHitter1316

, , Engage Instructor
    Industry Partner
    Oct 2, 2011
    When i was in the corps whenever some one needed instruction on the X amount of weapon systems we had in the armory, we would check one out and i would instruct on the armory grounds. I am in the process of going to the NRA classes to become an instructor but in the mean time i feel i can get some pilot classes going. I am military certified to teach Rifle and Pistol with limited instruction on the shot gun. If i were to privately teach a willing participant would that be a problem legally? I dont want to step on anyones toes and i want it to be a meaningful experience for me and the student shooter. Help me guys i want to TEACHHH lol.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I would suggest incorporating (LLC) and get insurance (people tend to sue for a lot of silly reasons). Insurance will run about $300 per million from most companies.

A 'hold harmless' waiver document for students. Check with Rusty Shackleford as I am sure he could help.

Just my thoughts.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The issue is liability. Not only will the student come after you, but the family and possibly the range will too!

There is also the issue of the damage your student may do to the range. Rare, but I have known some ranges to assess charges for damage to the range facility.

I would hate to see you burned.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I would strongly suggest that you get some kind of certification in whatever you want to teach. The military experience is a plus, but you'll get very few students without some type of cert.

PipeHitter1316

, , Engage Instructor
    Industry Partner
    Oct 2, 2011
    so what you are saying is that the NRA Instructor Certifacation will be enough or should i encorporate my self get insurance on top of the NRA certs?

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Pipe Hitter,

James and Mike both run thier own schools/Instruction.
    There are several other instructors on the forum. FPS and MERCOP off the top of my head. Ed Shell is the authority on Long Range/sniper.

Given that you have so GI benefits in terms of education coming to you I suspect this crowd would be an excellent one to ask what sort of certifications one of these business owners would look for on the resume of a Instructor-employee.

I would love to go shooting with you and would be humble about letting you show me points about refining my technique, but as far as paying for classes, I look for certifications that will allow me to demonstrate to future instructors that I am ready for the next level of training.

Just My .02

PipeHitter1316

, , Engage Instructor
    Industry Partner
    Oct 2, 2011
    i understand completely so with the general consensus being 1. becoming an NRA instructor in all the practices and then getting incoporated with some insurance on the side. Sounds good until then ill be refining my skills on my own!! boooorrrrring

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Hahaha thinking the same thing ......dunno if I'd take range advice from spicoli from fast times at ridgemont high

Just my two grams

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Hahaha thinking the same thing ......dunno if I'd take range advice from spicoli from fast times at ridgemont high

Just my two grams

come on man, its just for personal consumption....medicinal use only.
    images

PipeHitter1316

, , Engage Instructor
    Industry Partner
    Oct 2, 2011
    well back in the military they would come up with nick names for everything and not to insult your intelligence but here are some examples
    Suppressor=can
    optic=glass
    etc, etc
    the origins of a pipehitter comes from the special operations community but it applies to those who put themselves in harms way to protect the country and its people, at least thats the best description i can give you. So pipehitter was derived from heavy hitter and is someone who will go to the extreme to get something accomplished. Anyone in Military, LE, or Civilian Security Contracting that has shed blood in combat (your own or the enemies) is a pipehitter. Its even a clothing line now sold in most stores that stock tactical equipment (not gonna lie i have a hat or two). But the company says that people who ride BMX and Skate Boarding are pipe hitters and i dont agree but thats them trying to get more money which is the american way!! Hope this wasnt too confusing but the name has no negativity or drug connection to it( i thought the same when i was first called it).

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    I would list some qualifications also. No offense, but just cause you taught at the armory doesnt make me want to take your class. Now if you could list some qualifications or experiences and list some of the things you could teach, I'll give you a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom